- Birthday special: Ranbir Kapoor childhood picsReason why Lata Mangeshkar did not marryGionee S6s smartphone: A delight for selfie loversQuick tips for an organised homeBirthday special: Famous sayings by Yash ChopraTurn to tea tree oil for glowing skinBig B is hopeful, things will change post 'Pink'Priyanka Chopra found it 'weird' to audition for 'Quantico'Famous bold lip-locks of B-town divas we can never forgetBeing a celebrity isn't a piece of cake: Raveena Tandon
India outplayed Pakistan 3-1 to set up a title showdown with hosts Bangladesh in the Under
BlackBerry to withdraw from Japan Last Updated : 08 Feb 2013 02:50:43 PM IST BlackBerry to withdraw from Japan
Troubled smartphone maker BlackBerry will not launch its new models in Japan, reports on Friday said,effectively heralding a pull-out from a booming smartphone market where it is being beaten by Apple.
The Canada-based company, which is hoping its long-delayed BlackBerry 10 series will turn around flagging global fortunes, will not sell the handsets in the country, the Nikkei business daily said.
The report said BlackBerry's share of the Japanese market had slumped to 0.3 per cent from about five percent in the past. The paper gave no time frame.
Domestic shipments of smartphones soared 40 per cent on-year to hit an estimated 14 million in April-September but BlackBerry sales were believed to be only several tens of thousands, the paper said, without naming its sources.
Given the falling share, the company judged it too costly to develop a Japanese-language version of the new operating system, it said. While BlackBerry helped create a culture of mobile users glued to smartphones nearly a decade ago, many of those
customers have since moved on to Apple or Android-based phones.
The firm was until last week was known as Research in Motion (RIM) but rebranded itself with the launch of the BlackBerry 10 platform and Z10 and Q10 handsets.The Wall Street Journal cited a spokeswoman for BlackBerry, who confirmed the new phone model would not be rolled out in Japan "at this time".
"We are in the process of launching BlackBerry 10 globally in key markets and we are seeing positive demand for the BlackBerry Z10 in countries where it has already launched. "Japan is not a major market for BlackBerry and we have no
plans to launch BlackBerry 10 devices there at this time,"spokeswoman Amy McDowell was quoted as saying.
"However, we will continue to support BlackBerry customers in Japan," she said.NTT DoCoMo, the carrier who started distributing BlackBerry in Japan in 2006, said only that it was discussing new product launches with BlackBerry while noting it would continue customer support.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood stars congratulated the Indian Army for conducting surgical strikes on terrorist
- Watch first trailer of 'Force 2'
- Don't want to do destructive roles: John
- Love is a feeling beyond your control: Ranbir Kapoor
- Live action version of 'The Lion King' in the works
- I'm not a believer in cosmetic treatments: Sonam Kapoor
- Producing films a tough job, says Sonu Sood
- Everybody deserves to know Dhoni's inspiring story: Bhumika
- Who is Salman Khan's duplicate?
Using state-of-the-art equipment, Australian researchers have managed to solve an 800-yea
Taiwan-based company HTC Corporation on Thursday launched a new smartphone "HTC Desire 1