- Andamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: SurveySteps to buy sunglassesGo the foreign way while munching French friesBaaghi collects 35 crores in opening weekendBipasha shares her 'monkey wedding' picsBig B gets inspiration from fans' love
India’s tennis stars Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna got their French Open campaign off to
BlackBerry to withdraw from Japan Last Updated : 08 Feb 2013 02:50:43 PM IST BlackBerry to withdraw from Japan
Troubled smartphone maker BlackBerry will not launch its new models in Japan, reports on Friday said,effectively heralding a pull-out from a booming smartphone market where it is being beaten by Apple.
The Canada-based company, which is hoping its long-delayed BlackBerry 10 series will turn around flagging global fortunes, will not sell the handsets in the country, the Nikkei business daily said.
The report said BlackBerry's share of the Japanese market had slumped to 0.3 per cent from about five percent in the past. The paper gave no time frame.
Domestic shipments of smartphones soared 40 per cent on-year to hit an estimated 14 million in April-September but BlackBerry sales were believed to be only several tens of thousands, the paper said, without naming its sources.
Given the falling share, the company judged it too costly to develop a Japanese-language version of the new operating system, it said. While BlackBerry helped create a culture of mobile users glued to smartphones nearly a decade ago, many of those
customers have since moved on to Apple or Android-based phones.
The firm was until last week was known as Research in Motion (RIM) but rebranded itself with the launch of the BlackBerry 10 platform and Z10 and Q10 handsets.The Wall Street Journal cited a spokeswoman for BlackBerry, who confirmed the new phone model would not be rolled out in Japan "at this time".
"We are in the process of launching BlackBerry 10 globally in key markets and we are seeing positive demand for the BlackBerry Z10 in countries where it has already launched. "Japan is not a major market for BlackBerry and we have no
plans to launch BlackBerry 10 devices there at this time,"spokeswoman Amy McDowell was quoted as saying.
"However, we will continue to support BlackBerry customers in Japan," she said.NTT DoCoMo, the carrier who started distributing BlackBerry in Japan in 2006, said only that it was discussing new product launches with BlackBerry while noting it would continue customer support.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Singer Arijit Singh apologised to Salman Khan on Facebook. However, the reason behind the
- When Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'
- Stars wish Karan Johar on birthday
- Why Arijit deletes his apology letter to Salman
- Watch: salman Khan film sultan trailer released
- Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launch
- This is how Ranbir will seduce Aishwarya in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Yes, Virat Kohli and Anushka are back
- See Sofia Hayat before she became a nun
While playing with your pooch at home helps evoke love and compassion in you, researchers
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
Video: Man showed private parts in bus beaten by women
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Coolpad on Friday launched a new smartphone that comes wit