- Meghan cancels shows due to vocal hemorrhageWhen Shahid Kapoor was a playboyWomen power in displayOld album of Shahrukh and Gauri'Welcome Back' trailer launchedBehold the newly weds Mr and Mrs Shahid Kapoor!Mira Rajput is now Mrs Shahid KapoorSee Mira Rajput wearing floral jewelleryKnow all facts about MS DhoniIs Ranveer Singh a sex addict?
Lionel Messi expresses his pain of losing the Copa America final after the football supers
India test ballistic missile shield, will guard Delhi sky-line Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 04:29:26 PM IST India test ballistic missile shield
It is being readied to be deployed in the National Capital Region for protection against hostile missiles.
As part of the exercise, it test-fired a supersonic interceptor missile which destroyed a 'hostile' ballistic missile off the Odisha’s coast.
"At around 1252 hours, the interceptor hit the target missile successfully at an altitude of 14.5 kilometres," DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta told.
India is working towards development of a multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system.
"We are ready to deploy the system in the NCR region by 2014," DRDO's scientist and Director of the Missile Defence Programme Avinash Chander said.
The 'hostile' ballistic missile, a modified surface-to-surface 'Prithvi', mimicking an incoming enemy weapon, first lifted off from a mobile launcher at around 12.52 hours from the launch complex-3 of integrated test range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-Sea, about 15 kms from here.
Within about four minutes, the interceptor, Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile positioned at Wheeler Island, about 70 km from Chandipur, after getting signals from tracking radars, roared through its trajectory to destroy the incoming missile mid-air in an "endo-atmospheric" altitude, defence sources said.
Gupta said a simulated test was also done today to check the system and it was also successful. In today's test, the hostile missile was simulated to be a ballistic missile fired from the range of 1,500 kms, he said.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator, the sources said.
The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher, secure data link for interception, independent tracking and homing capabilities, besides sophisticated radars, they added.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Meghan Trainor cancels shows due to vocal cord hemorrhage.
- When Shahid Kapoor was a playboy
- Old album of Shahrukh and Gauri
- 'Welcome Back' trailer launched
- Behold the newly weds Mr and Mrs Shahid Kapoor!
- Minissha Lamba marries longtime boyfriend Ryan Tham
- Actress Amanda Peterson dies at 43
- See Mira Rajput wearing floral jewellery
- Aamir Khan Productions looking for fresh female face
A 26-year-old Canadian man was arrested after he flew high in the sky on a lawn chair atta
Xiaomi the smartphone giant which offers great features at less prices has yet made anothe