- Ten reasons to watch M.S. Dhoni: An Untold StoryEnergy drinks may increase risk of drink drivingDon't want to do destructive roles: JohnLove is a feeling beyond your control: Ranbir KapoorWho is Salman Khan's duplicate?Get Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's make-up look this festive season!Sonakshi and John unveil the poster of 'Force 2', trailer to be released tonigh..Shilpa Shetty pens down her second book on recipesThings to keep in mind while travelling with dogsInside pics of Ranbir Kapoor birthday
Abhishek Yadav's last minute goal gave India a 5-4 victory in their final game against hos
India test ballistic missile shield, will guard Delhi sky-line Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 04:29:26 PM IST India test ballistic missile shield
It is being readied to be deployed in the National Capital Region for protection against hostile missiles.
As part of the exercise, it test-fired a supersonic interceptor missile which destroyed a 'hostile' ballistic missile off the Odisha’s coast.
"At around 1252 hours, the interceptor hit the target missile successfully at an altitude of 14.5 kilometres," DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta told.
India is working towards development of a multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system.
"We are ready to deploy the system in the NCR region by 2014," DRDO's scientist and Director of the Missile Defence Programme Avinash Chander said.
The 'hostile' ballistic missile, a modified surface-to-surface 'Prithvi', mimicking an incoming enemy weapon, first lifted off from a mobile launcher at around 12.52 hours from the launch complex-3 of integrated test range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-Sea, about 15 kms from here.
Within about four minutes, the interceptor, Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile positioned at Wheeler Island, about 70 km from Chandipur, after getting signals from tracking radars, roared through its trajectory to destroy the incoming missile mid-air in an "endo-atmospheric" altitude, defence sources said.
Gupta said a simulated test was also done today to check the system and it was also successful. In today's test, the hostile missile was simulated to be a ballistic missile fired from the range of 1,500 kms, he said.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator, the sources said.
The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher, secure data link for interception, independent tracking and homing capabilities, besides sophisticated radars, they added.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The official logo of S.S Rajamouli's magnum opus "Baahubali: The Conclusion", the second a
- Guess who's Alia's dating recently?
- 'M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story': Chugs along touching right nerve
- Meet: Chef-cum-Poet Vikas Khanna
- Erica Fernades excited to dress as a bride
- See Pics: Who looked best dressed actress at GQ Awards 2016.
- 'Craze for Dhoni biopic more than any sportsman-based film'
- Are Pakistani artistes terrorists, asks Salman
- Harshvardhan very special to me: Saiyami Kher
Using state-of-the-art equipment, Australian researchers have managed to solve an 800-yea
The Chinese internet and technology conglomerate LeEco is offering its disruptive smaret