- Why Pooja Mishra goes for cheap gimmicks?OMG! Who scared Shahid\'s sister?Max Celebrates India - Festive'15 CollectionWhy Kangana should be taken seriouslyWhy Priyanka Chopra got emotionalGoddess Shailputri worshiped on Day 1Adiya Chopra\'s special gift for RaniInside PICS of 'Bigg Boss 9' houseV Company are the champions of \'Dance Plus\'Look at SRK son AbRam's shoe collection
Pele left everyone mesmerised in an evening that had moments of nostalgia, the great debat
India test ballistic missile shield, will guard Delhi sky-line Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 04:29:26 PM IST India test ballistic missile shield
It is being readied to be deployed in the National Capital Region for protection against hostile missiles.
As part of the exercise, it test-fired a supersonic interceptor missile which destroyed a 'hostile' ballistic missile off the Odisha’s coast.
"At around 1252 hours, the interceptor hit the target missile successfully at an altitude of 14.5 kilometres," DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta told.
India is working towards development of a multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system.
"We are ready to deploy the system in the NCR region by 2014," DRDO's scientist and Director of the Missile Defence Programme Avinash Chander said.
The 'hostile' ballistic missile, a modified surface-to-surface 'Prithvi', mimicking an incoming enemy weapon, first lifted off from a mobile launcher at around 12.52 hours from the launch complex-3 of integrated test range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-Sea, about 15 kms from here.
Within about four minutes, the interceptor, Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile positioned at Wheeler Island, about 70 km from Chandipur, after getting signals from tracking radars, roared through its trajectory to destroy the incoming missile mid-air in an "endo-atmospheric" altitude, defence sources said.
Gupta said a simulated test was also done today to check the system and it was also successful. In today's test, the hostile missile was simulated to be a ballistic missile fired from the range of 1,500 kms, he said.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator, the sources said.
The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher, secure data link for interception, independent tracking and homing capabilities, besides sophisticated radars, they added.
Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
This is one of the side-effects of the glamour industry.
- OMG! Who scared Shahid's sister?
- Britney Spears buys new mansion worth USD 7.4 million
- Why Kangana should be taken seriously
- Vaani Kapoor to romance Ranveer in 'Befikre'
- What Shahid's sister Sanah said about Mira
- Why Priyanka Chopra got emotional
- Om Puri feels Sufism binds people
- Friendship with Salman won't help me win: Vikas
The "world's most valuable biscuit" which survived the sinking of the Titanic more than a
Apple's iPhone 6s series will be available in India from October 16 at a starting price of