- Unknown facts about Shahid KapoorPriyanka Chopra to attend 2017 OscarsSelect right jewellery for wedding functionsPlastic surgery goes wrong for Ayesha TakiaMy scenes in 'Rangoon' were cut: Kangana RanautA fasting diet may help to reverse diabetes'Rangoon': An impressively immersive filmMahashivaratri Wallpapers and Facebook imagesDeepika denies doing remake of 'Mr & Mrs. Smith'This is what Kareena expects from Rangoon
American tennis player Serena Williams led the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) world rank
India test ballistic missile shield, will guard Delhi sky-line Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 04:29:26 PM IST India test ballistic missile shield
It is being readied to be deployed in the National Capital Region for protection against hostile missiles.
As part of the exercise, it test-fired a supersonic interceptor missile which destroyed a 'hostile' ballistic missile off the Odisha’s coast.
"At around 1252 hours, the interceptor hit the target missile successfully at an altitude of 14.5 kilometres," DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta told.
India is working towards development of a multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system.
"We are ready to deploy the system in the NCR region by 2014," DRDO's scientist and Director of the Missile Defence Programme Avinash Chander said.
The 'hostile' ballistic missile, a modified surface-to-surface 'Prithvi', mimicking an incoming enemy weapon, first lifted off from a mobile launcher at around 12.52 hours from the launch complex-3 of integrated test range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-Sea, about 15 kms from here.
Within about four minutes, the interceptor, Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile positioned at Wheeler Island, about 70 km from Chandipur, after getting signals from tracking radars, roared through its trajectory to destroy the incoming missile mid-air in an "endo-atmospheric" altitude, defence sources said.
Gupta said a simulated test was also done today to check the system and it was also successful. In today's test, the hostile missile was simulated to be a ballistic missile fired from the range of 1,500 kms, he said.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator, the sources said.
The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher, secure data link for interception, independent tracking and homing capabilities, besides sophisticated radars, they added.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
A record number of wins by black stars, a Muslim actor winning for the first time, the vic
- Amitabh Bachchan walks fashion ramp for charity
- Oscars 2017 celebrate diversity, marred by goof-ups
- Rani Mukerji confirms comeback with 'Hichki'
- Oscars 2017: Oops! Moment
- Priyanka Chopra looks divine at Oscars 2017
- Dev Patel attends Oscars with mother
- Om Puri honoured at Oscars 2017
- Asghar Farhadi's 'The Salesman' wins Best Foreign Language Film
If you are living in a neighbourhood surrounded by trees and shrubs, with birds chirping
Chinese smartphone maker Gionee on Monday launched a new line up of A series smartphones -