- Unknown facts about Sonakshi SinhaBollywood’s 5 Most Adorable Dubsmash Duo’s that Left Fan’s in AweTanu Weds Manu Returns\' Pappiji\'s famous dialoguesAishwarya was stopped at Cannes gate'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser crosses 4 million viewsAfter Piku's success is Deepika in a revengeful mood with ex Ranbir and Katrina?Leone enjoying with street dogsDhawal engaged with ShraddhaSexy Sonakshi Sinha's birthday plans are now revealedBirthday Special: 5 Memorable Roles of R. Madhavan
Defending champion Maria Sharapova was sent packing from the French Open at the fourth-rou
India test ballistic missile shield, will guard Delhi sky-line Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 04:29:26 PM IST India test ballistic missile shield
It is being readied to be deployed in the National Capital Region for protection against hostile missiles.
As part of the exercise, it test-fired a supersonic interceptor missile which destroyed a 'hostile' ballistic missile off the Odisha’s coast.
"At around 1252 hours, the interceptor hit the target missile successfully at an altitude of 14.5 kilometres," DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta told.
India is working towards development of a multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system.
"We are ready to deploy the system in the NCR region by 2014," DRDO's scientist and Director of the Missile Defence Programme Avinash Chander said.
The 'hostile' ballistic missile, a modified surface-to-surface 'Prithvi', mimicking an incoming enemy weapon, first lifted off from a mobile launcher at around 12.52 hours from the launch complex-3 of integrated test range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-Sea, about 15 kms from here.
Within about four minutes, the interceptor, Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile positioned at Wheeler Island, about 70 km from Chandipur, after getting signals from tracking radars, roared through its trajectory to destroy the incoming missile mid-air in an "endo-atmospheric" altitude, defence sources said.
Gupta said a simulated test was also done today to check the system and it was also successful. In today's test, the hostile missile was simulated to be a ballistic missile fired from the range of 1,500 kms, he said.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator, the sources said.
The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher, secure data link for interception, independent tracking and homing capabilities, besides sophisticated radars, they added.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
On the occasion of Sonakshi Sinha's bithday we bring you some unknown facts about her life
- Bollywood’s 5 Most Adorable Dubsmash Duo’s that Left Fan’s in Awe
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns' Pappiji's famous dialogues
- 'Bahubali' movie trailer unveiled
- Aishwarya was stopped at Cannes gate
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser crosses 4 million views
- After Piku's success is Deepika in a revengeful mood with ex Ranbir and Katrina?
- Leone enjoying with street dogs
- Video: Deepika's Parents Reaction on her great going 'Piku'
Flight delays can make passengers grumpy but not when the pilot orders pizzas for them as
Announcing its India foray, Chinese handset maker Coolpad today said it will set up an ass