- Karan Johar makes acting debut in 'Bombay Velvet'Ranbir\'s Roy Music a big hit on Social media with Sooraj Dooba Hain\'Bigg Boss\' extension has no links with \'Ashoka\': Raj NayakWatch Shah Rukh Khan\'s first Video tweetKim Kardashian stopped by cop for traffic violationJacqueline Fernandez to sketch for fansOMG! Ranveer Singh kisses in public,Deepika stunnedFirst Look of 'Bombay Velevt'Sexy siblings Shruti, Akshara HassanAngry Salman chases fans
Former Portugal and Real Madrid winger Luis Figo announced on Wednesday that he is to chal
India test ballistic missile shield, will guard Delhi sky-line Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 04:29:26 PM IST India test ballistic missile shield
It is being readied to be deployed in the National Capital Region for protection against hostile missiles.
As part of the exercise, it test-fired a supersonic interceptor missile which destroyed a 'hostile' ballistic missile off the Odisha’s coast.
"At around 1252 hours, the interceptor hit the target missile successfully at an altitude of 14.5 kilometres," DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta told.
India is working towards development of a multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system.
"We are ready to deploy the system in the NCR region by 2014," DRDO's scientist and Director of the Missile Defence Programme Avinash Chander said.
The 'hostile' ballistic missile, a modified surface-to-surface 'Prithvi', mimicking an incoming enemy weapon, first lifted off from a mobile launcher at around 12.52 hours from the launch complex-3 of integrated test range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-Sea, about 15 kms from here.
Within about four minutes, the interceptor, Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile positioned at Wheeler Island, about 70 km from Chandipur, after getting signals from tracking radars, roared through its trajectory to destroy the incoming missile mid-air in an "endo-atmospheric" altitude, defence sources said.
Gupta said a simulated test was also done today to check the system and it was also successful. In today's test, the hostile missile was simulated to be a ballistic missile fired from the range of 1,500 kms, he said.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator, the sources said.
The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher, secure data link for interception, independent tracking and homing capabilities, besides sophisticated radars, they added.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Anurag Kashyap directed 'Bombay Velvet' is set for release on Nov 28.
- Ranbir's Roy Music a big hit on Social media with Sooraj Dooba Hain
- 'Bigg Boss' extension has no links with 'Ashoka': Raj Nayak
- Watch Shah Rukh Khan's first Video tweet
- Kim Kardashian stopped by cop for traffic violation
- Jacqueline Fernandez to sketch for fans
- OMG! Ranveer Singh kisses in public,Deepika stunned
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher take baby Wyatt out for stroll
- Black buck case:Rajasthan HC turns down Salman Khan's plea
As the Cricket World Cup is round the corner, a bat as tall as 10-storey building, unveile
test ad galery 3