- Treat to work on dance numbers: JacquelineSohail Khan a damn cool director: NawazuddinPics: Ranbir-Aishwarya's hot chemistry irritated BachchansKareena send wishes for Shahid-Mira's daughter'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser to release today11-year-old attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga in 10 daysSindhu, Sakshi, Dipa, Jitu get Khel RatnasRemembering 'King Of Pop' on his 58th B'dayKareena Kapoor Khan 'sexy' pregnancy photos'Rock On!!' clocks eight years, makers look forward to sequel
Montreal Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec has been chosen captain of the Czech Republic’
India test ballistic missile shield, will guard Delhi sky-line Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 04:29:26 PM IST India test ballistic missile shield
It is being readied to be deployed in the National Capital Region for protection against hostile missiles.
As part of the exercise, it test-fired a supersonic interceptor missile which destroyed a 'hostile' ballistic missile off the Odisha’s coast.
"At around 1252 hours, the interceptor hit the target missile successfully at an altitude of 14.5 kilometres," DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta told.
India is working towards development of a multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system.
"We are ready to deploy the system in the NCR region by 2014," DRDO's scientist and Director of the Missile Defence Programme Avinash Chander said.
The 'hostile' ballistic missile, a modified surface-to-surface 'Prithvi', mimicking an incoming enemy weapon, first lifted off from a mobile launcher at around 12.52 hours from the launch complex-3 of integrated test range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-Sea, about 15 kms from here.
Within about four minutes, the interceptor, Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile positioned at Wheeler Island, about 70 km from Chandipur, after getting signals from tracking radars, roared through its trajectory to destroy the incoming missile mid-air in an "endo-atmospheric" altitude, defence sources said.
Gupta said a simulated test was also done today to check the system and it was also successful. In today's test, the hostile missile was simulated to be a ballistic missile fired from the range of 1,500 kms, he said.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator, the sources said.
The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher, secure data link for interception, independent tracking and homing capabilities, besides sophisticated radars, they added.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Sumit Kaul will be adding a funny twist to "Bahu Humari Rajni_Kant" with his entry.
- Rumours are baseless: Bhansali's spokesperson on Deepika's remuneration
- Irrfan honoured with Entertainer of The Year award
- Won't return to direction until I introduce 10 directors: Sasikumar
- Treat to work on dance numbers: Jacqueline
- Pakistanis, Indians respect each other: Om Puri
- Was looking for substantial role after 'Commando': Pooja Chopra
- Sohail Khan a damn cool director: Nawazuddin
- Reality TV is a big platform: Prince Narula
Believe it or not, dogs have the ability to distinguish words and the intonation of human
Domestic mobile manufacturer Videocon smartphone on Tuesday announced its association with