- Find out what is the real height of top Bollywood actors...new sexy avatar of Malaika Arora KhanWhy Kapil Sharma hates \'Hate Story2\'Salman now in regional cinemaImages: Contestants of Bigg Boss season 8SRK to perform dare devil stunts for \'Fan\'Hrithik Roshan will romance this girl in Mohen jo DaroMeet Amit Shah\'s would be daughter- in- lawGutthi back in Kapil show?Priyanka\'s Bollywood singing debut
Germany have a secret plan to shut Argentina superstar Lionel Messi out of Sunday's World
Samaraweera retires after Bangladesh axe Last Updated : 06 Mar 2013 09:18:23 PM IST File Photo
Middle-order batsman Thilan Samaraweera on Wednesday said his omission from the Test squad for the series against Bangladesh forced him to retire from international cricket.
The 36-year-old, who played 81 Tests and 53 ODIs, announced his retirement following a meeting with the national selectors.
"I was shocked with my omission from the squad against Bangladesh," he told reporters.
Samaraweera was excluded from the 16-man squad after being originally included in the 20-member probable.
"The selectors told me that their idea was to play only two senior players in the series against Bangladesh and the next series against Zimbabwe," he said.
"They told me that my experience would be needed for the Pakistan tour which is nine months away. I decided to retire because there is no point in waiting for nine months. This will clash with plans in my personal life.
"I respect the decision to go with young players and decided it is the right time to retire."
Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya said they met the right-handed batsman to discuss his future plans after Samaraweera had yesterday informed Sri Lanka Cricket about his retirement.
Samaraweera has already signed up with the English county team Worcestershire for this summer.
Since the tour to Australia in December, Sri Lanka has seen a thorough shake-up of the set-up.
Angelo Mathews and Dinesh Chandimal were appointed new Test and T20 captains after Mahela Jayawardene announced his decision to give up captaincy.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
In an illuminating article, Esquire writer Tom Junod has declared 42 to be the most alluri
- Poonam Pandey likes adult jokes that went viral on social media
- Find out what is the real height of top Bollywood actors...
- new sexy avatar of Malaika Arora Khan
- Why Kapil Sharma hates 'Hate Story2'
- Akshay to produce first TV show
- Salman now in regional cinema
- Selena Gomez gets cozy with model
- Images: Contestants of Bigg Boss season 8
A valet of Le Meridien hotel in New Delhi created news when he crashed a guest's Lamborghi
Asus has launched three new smartphones in India, the Asus ZenFone 4, ZenFone 5, and ZenFo