- PM Modi celebrates Diwali with jawans at Siachen'PK' is the toughest role of my career: Aamir KhanFirst fish hospital in Kolkata soonMany faces of Shah Rukh KhanIndia celebrates Diwali with traditional fervourCamila Alves pressured husbandActress caught having sex in public placeRanveer Singh sizzles with Parineeti ChopraNissan rolls out premium EvaliaIndia\'s first seaplane service
Badminton world number one Lee Chong Wei recently failed a drug test, Malaysian media rep
Samaraweera retires after Bangladesh axe Last Updated : 06 Mar 2013 09:18:23 PM IST File Photo
Middle-order batsman Thilan Samaraweera on Wednesday said his omission from the Test squad for the series against Bangladesh forced him to retire from international cricket.
The 36-year-old, who played 81 Tests and 53 ODIs, announced his retirement following a meeting with the national selectors.
"I was shocked with my omission from the squad against Bangladesh," he told reporters.
Samaraweera was excluded from the 16-man squad after being originally included in the 20-member probable.
"The selectors told me that their idea was to play only two senior players in the series against Bangladesh and the next series against Zimbabwe," he said.
"They told me that my experience would be needed for the Pakistan tour which is nine months away. I decided to retire because there is no point in waiting for nine months. This will clash with plans in my personal life.
"I respect the decision to go with young players and decided it is the right time to retire."
Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya said they met the right-handed batsman to discuss his future plans after Samaraweera had yesterday informed Sri Lanka Cricket about his retirement.
Samaraweera has already signed up with the English county team Worcestershire for this summer.
Since the tour to Australia in December, Sri Lanka has seen a thorough shake-up of the set-up.
Angelo Mathews and Dinesh Chandimal were appointed new Test and T20 captains after Mahela Jayawardene announced his decision to give up captaincy.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Aamir Khan says his role in upcoming comedy-drama 'PK' is one of the challenging roles of
- Bollywood goes gaga over 'PK' teaser
- Many faces of Shah Rukh Khan
- Men tried to harass Taylor Swift
- Scarlett named most fascinating people
- Camila Alves pressured husband
- Actress caught having sex in public place
- Ranveer Singh sizzles with Parineeti Chopra
- Like Tagore's 'Ektuku Choya Lage': Anup Jalota! Listen song
Country's first fish hospital to treat abnormalities and diseases in them is set to come u
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country