- ICW 2016: Rohit Bal adds Russian touch to India fashionB-Town hails Salman's acquittal in poaching casesKangana turns Mughal empress for at the FDCI India Couture Week 2016Why not: Kangana on getting married more than once'Madaari': A heartbreaking wake-up callVijay Raaz did 'Mission Tiger' for freeYami Gautam flaunts bridal avatar at ICW 2016Did Sunny Leone actually sing the National Anthem incorrectly?Anamika's collection impresses fashionistas at ICW 2016'Kabali' fails to live up to hype
Teenage Brazil striker Gabriel Barbosa is close to joining Juventus for 20 million euros.
Samaraweera retires after Bangladesh axe Last Updated : 06 Mar 2013 09:18:23 PM IST File Photo
Middle-order batsman Thilan Samaraweera on Wednesday said his omission from the Test squad for the series against Bangladesh forced him to retire from international cricket.
The 36-year-old, who played 81 Tests and 53 ODIs, announced his retirement following a meeting with the national selectors.
"I was shocked with my omission from the squad against Bangladesh," he told reporters.
Samaraweera was excluded from the 16-man squad after being originally included in the 20-member probable.
"The selectors told me that their idea was to play only two senior players in the series against Bangladesh and the next series against Zimbabwe," he said.
"They told me that my experience would be needed for the Pakistan tour which is nine months away. I decided to retire because there is no point in waiting for nine months. This will clash with plans in my personal life.
"I respect the decision to go with young players and decided it is the right time to retire."
Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya said they met the right-handed batsman to discuss his future plans after Samaraweera had yesterday informed Sri Lanka Cricket about his retirement.
Samaraweera has already signed up with the English county team Worcestershire for this summer.
Since the tour to Australia in December, Sri Lanka has seen a thorough shake-up of the set-up.
Angelo Mathews and Dinesh Chandimal were appointed new Test and T20 captains after Mahela Jayawardene announced his decision to give up captaincy.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Sony SAB in partnership with Twitter has launched an innovative and first of its kind soci
- Punjab's teen singer takes caste voice to a new high
- Chinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, support
- Akshay had a ball shooting cameo for 'Dishoom'
- Nana ,Shyam Kaushal reminisce about their brotherly bond
- After director's exit, Sabash Naidu team reshuffled
- VIDEO: Ranveer-Ranbir bond like never before
- Rishi Kapoor respects Rajinikanth's humility
- Pakistan to ban Sunny Leone song?
At 86, Dakshayani shows no signs of ageing and looks absolutely fit as she gets all set to
Domestic electronics company Micromax has announced a new laptop series Micromax Ignite an