- Review: Mechanic ResurrectionOMG!!! Ranbir is mocking katrina's text messages???While kissing in A Flying Jat,Jacqualine-Tiger refused to hear cutShahid-Meera to announce good news soon'A Flying Jatt' movie reviewShraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFWBhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her bookDeepika Padukone among worl'd richest actresses nowSakshi Malik will be Beti Bachao Beti Padhao brand ambassador in HaryanaRustom Girl Ileana D'Cruz's monsoon skin ritual
With India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, managing to win only two medals in the j
Samaraweera retires after Bangladesh axe Last Updated : 06 Mar 2013 09:18:23 PM IST File Photo
Middle-order batsman Thilan Samaraweera on Wednesday said his omission from the Test squad for the series against Bangladesh forced him to retire from international cricket.
The 36-year-old, who played 81 Tests and 53 ODIs, announced his retirement following a meeting with the national selectors.
"I was shocked with my omission from the squad against Bangladesh," he told reporters.
Samaraweera was excluded from the 16-man squad after being originally included in the 20-member probable.
"The selectors told me that their idea was to play only two senior players in the series against Bangladesh and the next series against Zimbabwe," he said.
"They told me that my experience would be needed for the Pakistan tour which is nine months away. I decided to retire because there is no point in waiting for nine months. This will clash with plans in my personal life.
"I respect the decision to go with young players and decided it is the right time to retire."
Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya said they met the right-handed batsman to discuss his future plans after Samaraweera had yesterday informed Sri Lanka Cricket about his retirement.
Samaraweera has already signed up with the English county team Worcestershire for this summer.
Since the tour to Australia in December, Sri Lanka has seen a thorough shake-up of the set-up.
Angelo Mathews and Dinesh Chandimal were appointed new Test and T20 captains after Mahela Jayawardene announced his decision to give up captaincy.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
"Mechanic Resurrection" is a super-charged, stylishly packed action thriller that is mecha
- OMG!!! Ranbir is mocking katrina's text messages???
- Palak Muchhal in tears while recording song for 'Naamkarann' (TV Snippets)
- Would love to go out-of-the-box, says Abhay Deol
- While kissing in A Flying Jat,Jacqualine-Tiger refused to hear cut
- Jackie Chan is Renny Harlin's icon
- 'Freaky Ali' team to launch menswear label in Dubai
- Taapsee, Neeraj Pandey team up for 'Meera'
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
South Korean electronics conglomerate LG on Friday launched a new X Cam smartphone in Indi
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- Microsoft acquires Genee to accelerate intelligent experiences in Office 365
- Gionee launches selfie-focussed smartphone in India
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Huawei P9 with dual-lens camera launched in India at Rs 39,999