- Aamir, Ekta Kapoor to host Diwali card partyBill Clinton\'s Girlfriend Monica Lewinsky joins TwitterEngagement on cards for Anushka-Virat!Shilpa Shetty, Raj Kundra celebrates Diwali with friendsRanveer Singh\'s bald look for \'Bajirao Mastaani\'Why did Dia Mirza interrupt the priest at her wedding?Diya Mirza wedding albumSome unknown facts of Nargis FakiriBirthday special: Bollywood\'s hot actress Nargis Fakhri turns 35Natasa eliminated from \'Bigg Boss 8\'
With no injuries to slow her down, Serena Williams extended her winning streak at the WTA
India use 2 offies in a Test after quarter of century Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 02:39:31 PM IST File Photo
The two-pronged off-spin attack that India are using in the second cricket Test against England here is a ploy that the hosts last used quarter of a century ago.
Contrary to skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni's words at the pre-game media conference yesterday that India were to field two medium pacers and spinners -- offie Ravichandran Ashwin and left-armer Pragyan Ojha -- the home team drafted in senior off-spinner Harbhajan Singh to complement them on Friday morning.
It was at Mohali in the opening game of the 2006 drawn series (1-1) that India had last fielded three frontline slow bowlers with Harbhajan being part of the trio along with the now retired Anil Kumble and the discarded Piyush Chawla.
In the early 1990s when Mohammed Azharuddin was the captain, Venkatapathy Raju, Rajesh Chauhan and Kumble had played together in the same match, including in the 1992-93 home rubber against England.
It is 25 years ago that two off-spinners played in the same Test when Shivlal Yadav and Gopal Sharma played together against Imran Khan's Pakistan in the third and fourth games of the best-of-five series at Jaipur and Ahmedabad in the 1986-87 series.
Yadav had earlier played alongside another senior off-spinner S Venkataraghavan in his debut series against Kim Hughes' Australian team in 1979-80.
Playing two off-spinners or three slow bowlers or even all four, was not unheard of in the annals of Indian cricket when the spin quartet of Erapalli Prasanna, B S Chandrasekhar, B S Bedi and Venkat ruled the roost.
In the 1969-70 home series against Australia, off-spinners Prasanna and Venkat had played in all five Test matches against Bill Lawry's team.
In 1967 in England, all four spin bowlers played in the same Test match, at Birmingham, under the captaincy of the late Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi.
This was repeated in 1987 at Ahmedabad against Pakistan when Yadav, Sharma, Maninder Singh and Ravi Shastri were in the playing 11.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The festival of light, Diwali is here and with others, Bollywood is also gearing up for th
- Detective Byomkesh Bakshy: Exclusive Official Teaser
- Shahid, Farhan doing funny rap at IIFA 2014, watch video
- Engagement on cards for Anushka-Virat!
- Shilpa Shetty, Raj Kundra celebrates Diwali with friends
- Ranveer Singh's bald look for 'Bajirao Mastaani'
- Why did Dia Mirza interrupt the priest at her wedding?
- Video: Watch trailer of Illayathalapathy Vijay's upcoming Kaththi
- Diya Mirza wedding album
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country