- Birthday special: Ranbir Kapoor childhood picsReason why Lata Mangeshkar did not marryGionee S6s smartphone: A delight for selfie loversQuick tips for an organised homeBirthday special: Famous sayings by Yash ChopraTurn to tea tree oil for glowing skinBig B is hopeful, things will change post 'Pink'Priyanka Chopra found it 'weird' to audition for 'Quantico'Famous bold lip-locks of B-town divas we can never forgetBeing a celebrity isn't a piece of cake: Raveena Tandon
India outplayed Pakistan 3-1 to set up a title showdown with hosts Bangladesh in the Under
HC expresses displeasure over refusal of visa to Prajakta Sawant Last Updated : 05 Mar 2013 06:29:41 PM IST File Photo
Expressing displeasure over the refusal of visa to badminton player Prajakta Sawant for her trip to London to participate in the All England Open Championship, the Bombay High Court on Tuesday said the Union Government could have helped the shuttler if it wanted.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice A V Mohta was hearing a petition filed by 19-year-old Sawant, who had alleged mental harassment by chief national coach Pullela Gopichand after she was refused entry to the All India National Coaching Camp in Hyderabad.
Sawant also alleged that Gopichand, being the chief national coach and a member of the selection committee of the Badminton Association of India (BAI), promoted players from his own private academy Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy.
Last week, Sawant's lawyer Piyush Shah informed the court that she has been refused visa by the UK Embassy for her trip to participate in the All England Open Championship commencing March 5.
The court had then asked the union government and Union Sports ministry to help Sawant in getting visa by taking up her case with the UK Embassy.
The court was today informed that Sawant could not procure a visa and hence could not go to London.
"This is really unfortunate. If the Union Government wanted, it could have seen to it that she got her visa," the bench said.
The court has now directed Sawant's lawyer to submit a list of other tournaments she would like to take part in.
The matter has been posted for hearing next week.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor-producer John Abraham says he loves action as a genre, but doesn't want to do a dest
- Love is a feeling beyond your control: Ranbir Kapoor
- Live action version of 'The Lion King' in the works
- I'm not a believer in cosmetic treatments: Sonam Kapoor
- Producing films a tough job, says Sonu Sood
- Everybody deserves to know Dhoni's inspiring story: Bhumika
- Who is Salman Khan's duplicate?
- Arjun Kapoor's 'DDLJ' moment on 'Half Girlfriend' set
- Jolie found images of Gomez, other women on Pitt's phone
Using state-of-the-art equipment, Australian researchers have managed to solve an 800-yea
Taiwan-based company HTC Corporation on Thursday launched a new smartphone "HTC Desire 1