- Wet and wild girls of July'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' earns 461 croresFirst Look of Tamasha shows Deepika-Ranbir as a rocking coupleWhy Anushka Sharma is a beauty without brains?Ajay feels Drishyam cannot do 150 crore businessSonam Kapoor has 7 million Twitter followersFreida Pinto to be a guest star on \'The Mindy Project\'Radhika Apte - The lucky girlSalman\'s tweets on Yakub Menon were misinterpreted: PulkitWhat inspires Milind to make his 50th birthday remarkable?
The Indian sports fraternity joined the nation in mourning the death of former President A
Champions Trophy men's Hockey :Pakistan beat India 3-2 Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 03:46:20 PM IST Champions Trophy men's Hockey Tournament:Pakistan beats India 3-2
Pakistan won their first Champions Trophy medal since 2004 on Sunday, beating India 3-2 in the bronze medal play-off at Melbourne.
Pakistani champion Shakeel Abbasi said the bronze was as good as winning gold. He was declared best player of the tournament.
"It was a very important match for us because for the past eight years we haven't won a medal at the Champions Trophy," Abbasi said.
"So for us this is a gold medal because after such a long time between
winning medals, but also winning against India, for me and my team and for Pakistan this is a gold medal."
Pakistan beat India by the same score in the bronze medal showdown at Lahore eight years ago.
The Pakistanis fought back from a goal down after India's VR Raghunath netted .India netted a consolation goal through Rupinder Pal Singh with the last play of the match.
But Muhammad Rizwan Senior equalised midway through the first half, before Pakistan took the lead early in the second with a neat goal to Shafqat Rasool.
But celebration is must for both teams as both Hocket teams have reached this stage in Chanpions Trophy Semi Final after a long time more than eight years.
India's only Champions Trophy medal, a bronze, came in 1982. Pakistan edged past India to claim bronze medals for three successive years from 2002-04.
Disappointed he might be on missing out on a medal but India's hockey coach Michael Nobbs said there were several good signs for his team during the Champions Trophy in which it finished fourth after losing to Pakistan in the bronze medal playoff here today.
"It's a good effort to make the semifinals at the Champions Trophy after the disappointing show at the Olympics," said Nobbs after the 2-3 loss to Pakistan here today.
"A bronze medal would have been wonderful, but we did not do enough today," he added. Nobbs said the Indian strikers could not match the good work of the defenders.
"Our defence had a remarkable tournament and they did well again today. But our finishing was not good enough. There was a lot of mis-trapping by the forwards and that gave away the chances we managed to create. Those were soft errors,something the boys need to work on," said the Australian.
"Probably some of the mistakes were also due to inexperience, but we have the making of a good side. There are a several good signs for Indian hockey from this tournament,"he added.
Nobbs complimented the two deep defenders -- VR Raghunath and Rupinder Pal Singh -- for their compact game, and also young goalkeeper TR Potunuri. Nobbs said captain Sardar Singh had managed to continue playing with a very sore shoulder and a twisted ankle as well. "Besides Sardar, forward SV Sunil and midfielder Manpreet Singh also ignored pain to continue playing throughout the tournament," he said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Who is the hottest cover girl of July 2015.
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' earns 461 crores
- SRK upset over fake teaser of 'Raees'
- First Look of Tamasha shows Deepika-Ranbir as a rocking couple
- Jackman shares teaser image of Wolverine film
- Why Anushka Sharma is a beauty without brains?
- Case against Salman for defending Yakub
- See how Taj Mahal destoryed in 'Pixel' movie
- Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition' to open Toronto Film Festival
Two young children who were locked up in a kennel during the day by their grandfather with
If these images are to be believed, we would be seeing a couple of design innovations that