- See Bollywood sexy babes in nightwearPiku's new posture reveals father-daughter cute chemistryBipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover on a date!Rare photos of B'day boy Varun DhawanKim Kardashian ready to be pregnantHere\'s why we call Tiger Shroff among best dancers of BollywoodWhich Bollywood star had slapped Varun Dhawan once?Vogue features first Transgender model Andreja PejicAsus launches ZenFone 2 with 4GB ramMany Many happy returns Sachin Tendulkar on turning 42
Playing her first match as world number one, India's Sania Mirza crashed out of the Porsch
Lalit Bhanot elected as Secretary General of Indian Olympic Association Last Updated : 30 Nov 2012 03:32:38 PM IST Lalit Bhanot elected Secretary General of Indian Olympic Association
Tainted sports administrator Lalit Bhanot who was jailed in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam has been elected as the Secretary General on Friday.
Abhay Singh Chautala has been elected as the President of the Indian Olympic Association. Bhanot, who was jailed along with former IOA president Suresh Kalmadi and VK Verma in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, was elected unopposed despite serious objections from International Olympic Committee.
The Indian Olympic Association may have elected its new office bearers, but the threat of them being banned by the International Olympic committee still exists.
The IOA polls were scheduled for December 5, but with Randhir Singh having withdrawn from the Presidential race, Chautala was elected the IOA President.
Bhanot, who was jailed and later released on bail in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, was the only candidate for the post after Volleyball Federation of India Secretary General K Murugan and Judo Federation of India General Secretary Mukesh Kumar decided to withdraw from the fray.
Virendra Nanavati of the Swimming Federation of India will become a senior Vice-President with no other candidate in the fray while the decks are cleared for Lalit Bhanot to take over as Secretary General. Anil Khanna of All India Tennis Association will have no contest for the treasurer's post.
Meanwhile, IOA Acting President Vijay Kumar Malhotra had a series of meeting with senior officials in the wake of the International Olympic Committee's latest threat to suspend India if the IOA followed the Government's Sports Code for the
December 5 polls.
IOA sources said that a two-member IOA delegation is likely to meet Sports Minister Jitendra Singh tomorrow to find a solution to the issue which has put a question mark on the election.
The IOA delegation comprising Narinder Batra and eminent lawyer R K Anand will meet the Sports Minister and other senior officials. They are expected to go to Lausanne to have a meeting with top IOC officials on Saturday or Sunday.
The IOC Ethics Commission's recommendations state that tainted officials like Kalmadi, Bhanot and Verma, who all were jailed in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, cannot be part of the Olympic movement.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Akshay Kumar feels the recent suicide by farmer Gajendra Singh at an Aam Aadmi P
- See Bollywood sexy babes in nightwear
- Piku's new posture reveals father-daughter cute chemistry
- Lady Gaga to receive contemporary ‘Icon’ award
- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover on a date!
- B-Town wishes Varun Dhawan on B'day
- Rare photos of B'day boy Varun Dhawan
- PICS:Kim Kardashian ready to be pregnant
- Here's why we call Tiger Shroff among best dancers of Bollywood
An Islamic college in Melbourne city has banned its girl students from participating in ru
Asus India launched the successor to their much-loved Zenfone range in the Asus Zenfone 2,