- Unknown facts of Meena Kumar\'s lifeWhy is the PK poster a trend setterMeet PM Narendra Modi\'s dharmputraList of movies to be released in August 2014Ranbir, Deepika spotted on 'Tamasha' setsAkshay Kumar Gets Violent on the sets\'Testing my patience\': Tweets Hrithik on alimony newsIs Shah Rukh copying Salman?Aamir Khan poses nude for 'PK'Leonardo DiCaprio caught enjoying Justin Bieber, Orlando Bloom fight
With three more Gold, India moved to fifth spot in the Commonwealth Games 2014 at Glasgow
Lalit Bhanot elected as Secretary General of Indian Olympic Association Last Updated : 30 Nov 2012 03:32:38 PM IST Lalit Bhanot elected Secretary General of Indian Olympic Association
Tainted sports administrator Lalit Bhanot who was jailed in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam has been elected as the Secretary General on Friday.
Abhay Singh Chautala has been elected as the President of the Indian Olympic Association. Bhanot, who was jailed along with former IOA president Suresh Kalmadi and VK Verma in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, was elected unopposed despite serious objections from International Olympic Committee.
The Indian Olympic Association may have elected its new office bearers, but the threat of them being banned by the International Olympic committee still exists.
The IOA polls were scheduled for December 5, but with Randhir Singh having withdrawn from the Presidential race, Chautala was elected the IOA President.
Bhanot, who was jailed and later released on bail in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, was the only candidate for the post after Volleyball Federation of India Secretary General K Murugan and Judo Federation of India General Secretary Mukesh Kumar decided to withdraw from the fray.
Virendra Nanavati of the Swimming Federation of India will become a senior Vice-President with no other candidate in the fray while the decks are cleared for Lalit Bhanot to take over as Secretary General. Anil Khanna of All India Tennis Association will have no contest for the treasurer's post.
Meanwhile, IOA Acting President Vijay Kumar Malhotra had a series of meeting with senior officials in the wake of the International Olympic Committee's latest threat to suspend India if the IOA followed the Government's Sports Code for the
December 5 polls.
IOA sources said that a two-member IOA delegation is likely to meet Sports Minister Jitendra Singh tomorrow to find a solution to the issue which has put a question mark on the election.
The IOA delegation comprising Narinder Batra and eminent lawyer R K Anand will meet the Sports Minister and other senior officials. They are expected to go to Lausanne to have a meeting with top IOC officials on Saturday or Sunday.
The IOC Ethics Commission's recommendations state that tainted officials like Kalmadi, Bhanot and Verma, who all were jailed in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, cannot be part of the Olympic movement.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Meena Kumari,the legendary tragedy queen of Indian cinema continues to live deep into the
- SRK is 'king' of Bollywood: Salman Khan
- Oops! Kareena flaunts her assets, watch video
- Aamir Khan launches 'PK' motion poster: Watch now
- List of movies to be released in August 2014
- Watch Priyanka Chopra's Mary Kom song Ziddi Dil
- I am not friends with SRK: Ajay Devgn
- I have huge crush on Salman Khan: Humaima
- Aamir Khan's plan for 'PK' promotions
A naked man was walked on leash with something stuffed inside his anus
Tech giant Apple has reduced the price of its 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro by Rs 11,000.