- Who is Salman Khan's duplicate?Sonakshi and John unveil the poster of 'Force 2', trailer to be released tonigh..Shilpa Shetty pens down her second book on recipesThings to keep in mind while travelling with dogsInside pics of Ranbir Kapoor birthdayBirthday special: Ranbir Kapoor childhood picsReason why Lata Mangeshkar did not marryGionee S6s smartphone: A delight for selfie loversQuick tips for an organised homeBirthday special: Famous sayings by Yash Chopra
Barcelona came from behind to beat Monchengladbach 2-1 in the second round in Group C of
Brazilian football star on trial for killing lover Last Updated : 20 Nov 2012 12:28:34 PM IST File Photo: Bruno Fernandes
The trial of a former football star charged with orchestrating the kidnapping and gruesome murder of an ex-girlfriend has started with courtroom arguments that caused two lawyers to abandon the case, and with a tearful plea for justice from the victim's mother.
The case of former Flamengo goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes, known in Brazil just as Bruno, has riveted the country and shocked the world of soccer. Fernandes' accomplices allegedly held his former girlfriend, model Eliza Samudio, before killing her, quartering her, and feeding her remains to dogs.
Bruno, whose trial began yesterday, was captain when he led his team to the Brazilian championship in 2009. That same year, Samudio made the first allegations to police that she was pregnant with Fernandes' child, and that the players and others kidnapped her and tried to force her to terminate the pregnancy.
She refused. The child was born healthy, and named Bruno as well. The model disappeared soon afterward, in June 2010. In December 2010, Fernandes was found guilty of Samudio's initial accusations and is serving a prison sentence of four years and six months in that case. After a court dispute, Samudio's mother was named the child's guardian.
Bruno now faces a second trial, on charges he ordered his ex-girlfriend's grisly death.
Investigators said the player was behind a scheme that lured the 25-year-old woman from Rio de Janeiro to a ranch in the neighboring state of Minas Gerais with the promise that Fernandes would recognise the child as his and give her an apartment. There she was allegedly held again her will by Fernandes' accomplices, killed and her remains were fed to dogs who roamed the property.
The first day of the murder trial in Minas Gerais was marked by high drama, with attorneys for two of Fernandes' alleged accomplices who are also facing murder charges the former police officer, Marcos dos Santos, and the player's right-hand man, Luiz Romao walking out on the case after arguing with the judge over access to videos of witness testimony.
"We would like to leave clear to the jury that it is impossible to carry out a fair trial," Ercio Quaresmo, the attorney for Santos, said in court according to O Globo newspaper.
The Associated Press could not reach attorneys for comment.
Others also charged with Samudio's kidnapping, murder and the hiding of her body are Dayanne Rodrigues, Fernandes' wife, and Fernanda Castro, a lover. All those charged with the death have pleaded innocent, including Fernandes.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Film celebrities -- in India and more so internationally -- are perpetually dogged by rumo
- Producing films a tough job, says Sonu Sood
- Everybody deserves to know Dhoni's inspiring story: Bhumika
- Who is Salman Khan's duplicate?
- Arjun Kapoor's 'DDLJ' moment on 'Half Girlfriend' set
- Jolie found images of Gomez, other women on Pitt's phone
- ADHM: Channa Mereya song released
- Sonakshi and John unveil the poster of 'Force 2', trailer to be released tonight
- Tannishtha slams racist attack on Colors' show, channel apologises
Using state-of-the-art equipment, Australian researchers have managed to solve an 800-yea
Apple and Deloitte on Thursday joined hands to help companies accelerate their work via s