- I admire Shah Rukh as a worker: Alia BhattSalman Khan's 'Being Salman' game outI don't believe in relationship goals: Esha GuptaSachin presents BMWs to Olympic medallistsI still have more to achieve: Jacqueline FernandezSalman to don astronaut look for show promoAll my roles had potential to stereotype me: SwaraKnow more about Neha DhupiaShahid-Mira: Journey from lovers to parentsJacqueline turns showstopper for Rajesh Singh
The All India Football Federation on Sunday announced the opening of online and outlet tic
Brazilian football star on trial for killing lover Last Updated : 20 Nov 2012 12:28:34 PM IST File Photo: Bruno Fernandes
The trial of a former football star charged with orchestrating the kidnapping and gruesome murder of an ex-girlfriend has started with courtroom arguments that caused two lawyers to abandon the case, and with a tearful plea for justice from the victim's mother.
The case of former Flamengo goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes, known in Brazil just as Bruno, has riveted the country and shocked the world of soccer. Fernandes' accomplices allegedly held his former girlfriend, model Eliza Samudio, before killing her, quartering her, and feeding her remains to dogs.
Bruno, whose trial began yesterday, was captain when he led his team to the Brazilian championship in 2009. That same year, Samudio made the first allegations to police that she was pregnant with Fernandes' child, and that the players and others kidnapped her and tried to force her to terminate the pregnancy.
She refused. The child was born healthy, and named Bruno as well. The model disappeared soon afterward, in June 2010. In December 2010, Fernandes was found guilty of Samudio's initial accusations and is serving a prison sentence of four years and six months in that case. After a court dispute, Samudio's mother was named the child's guardian.
Bruno now faces a second trial, on charges he ordered his ex-girlfriend's grisly death.
Investigators said the player was behind a scheme that lured the 25-year-old woman from Rio de Janeiro to a ranch in the neighboring state of Minas Gerais with the promise that Fernandes would recognise the child as his and give her an apartment. There she was allegedly held again her will by Fernandes' accomplices, killed and her remains were fed to dogs who roamed the property.
The first day of the murder trial in Minas Gerais was marked by high drama, with attorneys for two of Fernandes' alleged accomplices who are also facing murder charges the former police officer, Marcos dos Santos, and the player's right-hand man, Luiz Romao walking out on the case after arguing with the judge over access to videos of witness testimony.
"We would like to leave clear to the jury that it is impossible to carry out a fair trial," Ercio Quaresmo, the attorney for Santos, said in court according to O Globo newspaper.
The Associated Press could not reach attorneys for comment.
Others also charged with Samudio's kidnapping, murder and the hiding of her body are Dayanne Rodrigues, Fernandes' wife, and Fernanda Castro, a lover. All those charged with the death have pleaded innocent, including Fernandes.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Boman Irani is open to the idea of going to Hollywood to explore a “different worl
- I admire Shah Rukh as a worker: Alia Bhatt
- Salman Khan's 'Being Salman' game out
- I don't believe in relationship goals: Esha Gupta
- I still have more to achieve: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Dadlani says he quit AAP on his own, calls AAP family
- Amber Rose has no count of her sex partners
- Subha wants to do women-oriented project
- Koratala Siva, Mahesh Babu to team up next
A 53-year-old woman was killed while descending a 3,000-feet mountain after her husband u
US tech giant Apple is planning to remove the physical Touch ID button below the screen an