- \'Mardaani\' review in picsImages: Meet Shruti Haasan\'s sis Akshara who makes debut in ShamitabhImages: These Bollywood stars did not graduateHot foreign beauties in B-WoodImages: Upcoming Bollywood movies of Sunny LeoneAlia Bhatt shows off bare thighs, view picsPICS: Protest over proposed Gandhi statue in LondonBarbara Mori ties knot again?Jacqueline dazzles the ramp at LFW 2014, view picsSonakshi’s superhot avatar Desi Kalakaar, view pics
Top-ranked Serena Williams is seeded No. 1 as she seeks her third straight US Open title.
Rivalries are good for sport: Maria Sharapova Last Updated : 11 Nov 2012 07:28:49 PM IST Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova during a promotional event for a real estate company, in New Delhi on Sunday.
She has an unenvious head-to-head record against Serena Williams but tennis' glam girl Maria Sharapova says rivalries not only light up the sport but also extract the best out of an athlete.
Of the 11 clashes she had with the American great, Maria lost a staggering nine matches, including twice at the Australian open and once at Wimbledon and most recently at the London Olympics finals.
"She is an incredible player and has achieved so much of success in her career. It is great to have rivalries in the sport. You are always working hard to do better than your competitor," said Sharapova.
The Russian is among one of the few athletes, who have repeated their success story after going into injury-forced hibernation.
The 25-year old made a great comeback this season as she went on to win the French Open to complete her career Slam and for the world No. 2, the win at the Roland Garros is one of most cherished ones.
"It is tough to differentiate. All my victories have come at a different time of my career," she said when asked which of the four Grand Slam victories she enjoyed the most.
"But the French Open this year will always remain close to my heart. I came into the tournament after a long injury lay-off. For the first time I realised how hard it was to get to the winning position and winning it," Sharapova added.
About her close encounters with Victoria Azarenka this season, the 25-year-old reiterated that it was important to have some tough competitions.
"As I told earlier, it is important to have rivalries in the sport. She is a tough opponent and I would look to do my best against her in the future," she said on the sidelines of a Steadfast promotional event.
When asked about her lone duel with Indian tennis ace, Sania Mirza way back in 2005, the six foot two inch tall said: "Long time... She was very competitive."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
'Mardani' movie review in pictures. Have a look of some still scenes.
- Images: Meet Shruti Haasan's sis Akshara who makes debut in Shamitabh
- Images: These Bollywood stars did not graduate
- Hot foreign beauties in B-Wood
- Video: Akshay Kumar takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, nominates Salman Khan
- Watch Bismil song from movie 'Haider'
- Images: Upcoming Bollywood movies of Sunny Leone
- Alia Bhatt shows off bare thighs, view pics
- Akshay inks Karan Johar's next 'Brothers'
Kenneth Douglas had sexually abused 100 dead women over the period between 1976 and 1992.
Buyers are always on the lookout for the cheap and best and here are the best budget smart