- Katrina gets gift truck full of rosesAditya, Shradha coming back with 'Ok Janu'Katrina Kaif looks drop-dead gorgeous for Tarun TahilianiKatrina caught with Aditya at Janpath MarketShilpa Shetty to flaunt yoga movesKatrina happy to be going strongRose Day Wallpapers and Facebook imagesDeepika-Diesel will make Ranveer jealousAll you want to know about Shahid's Valentine's Day planAbhishek celebrates birthday on cruise
With squash failing in three consecutive bids since 2005 to become part of the Olympic pro
Rivalries are good for sport: Maria Sharapova Last Updated : 11 Nov 2012 07:28:49 PM IST Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova during a promotional event for a real estate company, in New Delhi on Sunday.
She has an unenvious head-to-head record against Serena Williams but tennis' glam girl Maria Sharapova says rivalries not only light up the sport but also extract the best out of an athlete.
Of the 11 clashes she had with the American great, Maria lost a staggering nine matches, including twice at the Australian open and once at Wimbledon and most recently at the London Olympics finals.
"She is an incredible player and has achieved so much of success in her career. It is great to have rivalries in the sport. You are always working hard to do better than your competitor," said Sharapova.
The Russian is among one of the few athletes, who have repeated their success story after going into injury-forced hibernation.
The 25-year old made a great comeback this season as she went on to win the French Open to complete her career Slam and for the world No. 2, the win at the Roland Garros is one of most cherished ones.
"It is tough to differentiate. All my victories have come at a different time of my career," she said when asked which of the four Grand Slam victories she enjoyed the most.
"But the French Open this year will always remain close to my heart. I came into the tournament after a long injury lay-off. For the first time I realised how hard it was to get to the winning position and winning it," Sharapova added.
About her close encounters with Victoria Azarenka this season, the 25-year-old reiterated that it was important to have some tough competitions.
"As I told earlier, it is important to have rivalries in the sport. She is a tough opponent and I would look to do my best against her in the future," she said on the sidelines of a Steadfast promotional event.
When asked about her lone duel with Indian tennis ace, Sania Mirza way back in 2005, the six foot two inch tall said: "Long time... She was very competitive."
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Katrina Kaif gets gift truck full of roses by co-star Aditya Roy Kapur on International Ro
- Aditya, Shradha coming back with 'Ok Janu'
- Katrina Kaif looks drop-dead gorgeous for Tarun Tahiliani
- Katrina caught with Aditya at Janpath Market
- Katrina Kaif spending V-day with Ranbir Kapoor?
- Michael Moore in ICU with pneumonia
- Katrina happy to be going strong
- Shan Johnson found dead in her flat
- Theatre actor Markand Bhatt passes away
A selfie posted by a US teenager last month on micro-blogging site Twitter boggled minds a
Taiwanese manufacturer HTC on Friday launched a new 4G-enabled smartphone, called the Desi