- India launches its biggest rocketPICS: Prasoon Joshi pens poem on Peshawar massacreMeet Mr Praveen Mast the real 'PK'Leone calls Salman her godfatherThe Lunchbox named best film in TorontoHow Malala Yousafzai was sot dead:See in picsShocking pictures of Peshawar school attackFarha to replace Salman in 'Bigg Boss 8'Exclusive coffee table book for 'Kick' fansSchoolchildren observe silence
Boxer Sarita Devi, who had refused to accept her Asian Games bronze medal, was on Wednesda
Chardham yatra ends Last Updated : 18 Nov 2012 07:10:35 PM IST File photo related to Chardham yatra temples in Uttarakhand.
The famous Chardham yatra in Uttarakhand came to a close today with a ceremonial closure of the sacred portals of Badrinath in upper Himalayas amid chanting of hymns.
The head priest of the shrine performed elaborate rituals before locking the doors of the shrine at 3:35 pm today in the presence of religious heads and administration officials, Badrinath-Kedarnath committee officials said.
The idol of Lord Vishnu has been shifted out of the sanctum sanctorum of the high-altitude shrine and will be carried in a palanquin tomorrow to Pandukeshwar, where it will be worshipped during the winter when the temple is completely snow-bound.
A large number of pilgrims were also present outside the temple to witness the closing ceremony.
Badrinath temple is situated at a height of 3133 mt in Chamoli district in the middle of Garhwal Himalayas.
On Thursday, portals of Kedarnath and Yamunotri shrines situated in Garhwal region of the state were closed.
The Chardham yatra comprising pilgrimage to Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri begins in April-May and closes around October-November as the area remains covered under snow during winter.
The yatra attracts nearly 15-16 lakh pilgrims every year and the local economy depends heavily on it.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Shahid Kapoor was recently spotted by the paparazzis with a friend but what looked unusual
- Bollywood icons we lost in 2014, view pics
- Ranbir Kapoor, Katrina Kaif in 'Jagga Jasoos'
- Video: When Rajkumar Hirani rejected Anushka Sharma
- PK is a wonderful piece of cinema
- Rajinikanth to be grandfather soon
- Arpita-Ayush honeymoon pics
- Who looks prettiest in Big Star Award
- Top 10 secrets of 'PK' movie revealed
Eight coffins from Qing Dynasty (1636-1912) imperial figures, including Emperor Qianlong
Homegrown handset maker Lava on Tuesday launched a new smartphone -- Iris Fuel 60 -- offer