- Mercury remains below freezing in HimachalWhy Javed Akhtar still rules the roost at this ageWhy people love Dangal girl ZairaDiljit Dosanjh to star in Punjabi superhero filmMeet partners in crime of Mrs FunnybonesKaranAyushmann, Bhumi in Hindi remake of 'Kalyana Samayal Saadham'SRK to appear on Salman Khan's 'Tubelight'Film fest in Delhi pays homage to Om PuriPics: 'Miss Sloane' to release in India on February 3
The Indian U-17 football World Cup team lost 0-1 against Iran in the Granatkin Tournament
Didn't name any religion or community: Sakshi Maharaj defends remarks IANS Last Updated : 11 Jan 2017 06:15:09 PM IST (File photo)
BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj, who was summoned by the Election Commission for his controversial statements on population, said on Wednesday that his remarks were made at a meeting called by religious leaders and he had not taken the name of any religion.
He also demanded a Uniform Civil Code on population control.
"Whatever I said was not at a public meeting or an election rally. I spoke at a meeting called by religious leaders," Maharaj said after coming out of the Election Commission of India headquarters here.
Maharaj said: "I didn't take the name of any religion or community, but only raised concerns over rising population. Population must be controlled, women are not machines to deliver babies."
The BJP MP was summoned by the ECI on Tuesday and issued show cause notice saying that it is prima facie of the opinion that he violated the Model Code of Conduct by making "impugned statements".
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader on January 7 stirred controversy with his comment in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, that, "Population is rising rapidly, and so are the country's problems. But Hindus are not responsible for this. Those who talk about four wives and 40 children are responsible."
The Model Code of Conduct is in place in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh for the Assembly elections. The Supreme Court in a ruling last week said that any appeal for votes on the ground of "religion, race, caste, community or language" amounted to "corrupt practice" under the election law provision.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Ever wondered why veteran lyricist still remains a favourite of leading Bollywood names ev
- Pics: Why people love Dangal girl Zaira
- Diljit Dosanjh to star in Punjabi superhero film
- Films that didn't work affected me immensely: Vidya
- Meet partners in crime of Mrs Funnybones
- Indian actor Sunny Pawar meets Barack Obama
- Karan "An Unsuitable Boy"
- Zaira, you are a role model for me: Aamir
- Ayushmann, Bhumi in Hindi remake of 'Kalyana Samayal Saadham'
When "Kaa" the hypnotic, yellowish Indian Rock Python hisses and casts a spell on Mowgli i
Samsung India on Tuesday announced the launch of its new smartphone powerhouse 'Galaxy C9