- Freida to promote women empowerment at CannesDaily yoga can help reduce multiple sclerosis symptomsRelease of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next yearWear sunglasses to avoid eye damageBig B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards functionWant my fan base to increase in South: HumaSee what Bips made Karan do post weddingAndamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!
The Indian women's hockey team lost 0-2 in their opening encounter of the five-match Test
Thackeray FB row: Sena calls Palghar bandh on Wednesday Last Updated : 28 Nov 2012 09:34:36 AM IST Thackeray FB row: Sena calls Palghar bandh on Wednesday over suspension of cops
Shiv Sena has called for a bandh in Palghar, in the adjoining Thane district on Wednesday in protest against the suspension of police officers who had arrested two girls over a Facebook post, criticising shutdown during Bal Thackeray's funeral.
The shops were closed and train services have been suspended following the bandh call by the Shiv Sena in Palghar on Wednesday.Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan defended the suspension of two police officers over the arrest of two girls for their posts on Facebook regarding the bandh observed for Bal Thackeray's funeral.
Shaheen Dhada and Renu Srinivasan were arrested under IPC sections 295 (A) (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings by insulting its religion or religious beliefs) and 505(2) IPC (statements creating or promoting enmity, hatred or ill-will between classes) and the IT Act.
Shiv Sena MLA from Thane Eknath Shinde said the call for the bandh was given by the party's local unit. Criticising the suspension of the two police officers, he
said, "The police acted as per the prevailing situation. Even the girls do not have any complaint against the police."
The inspector general (Konkan range) Sukhwinder Singh termed the arrest of two girls hailing from Palghar as an irrelevant act of haste.
But the charges against the two girls arrested for posting comments on Facebook criticising the general shutdown on Bal Thackeray cremation, remain to be dropped.
Earlier in the day, Thane rural SP Ravindra Sengaonkar and senior police inspector in Palghar, Shreekant Pingle, were suspended and a departmental enquiry ordered against them for applying wrong charges against the two girls while Additional SP Sangram Nishandar was "warned in writing and reprimanded" for dereliction of duty.
Announcing the action against the policemen, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said, "Wrong sections were appliedagainst the girls and there was no need to take hasty action (against the girls),".
Shiv Sainiks had ransacked the clinic of one of the girl's uncle in protest against her Facebook comment.
Minister wants charges against two girls dropped
Maharashtra Minority Affairs Minister Mohammed Arif Naseem Khan demanded that charges slapped on the two Palghar girls in connection with their Facebook posts against the shutdown during Sena chief Bal Thackeray's funeral should immediately be dropped.
He said that with special IG (Konkan range) Sukhwinder Singh's report indicting the police for framing wrong charges,no case can be made against the girls and charges against them should be dropped.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil has said that senior officers would study the case and decide whether to drop charges against the girls.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
US-based Indian actress Freida Pinto will reportedly attend the upcoming 69th Cannes Inter
- Randeep Hooda brilliant in 'Sarbjit': Johnny Lever
- SRK, AbRam practise dance moves for KKR match
- Release of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next year
- Justin Bieber being sued for $100,000
- Shekhar Suman again hits out at Kangana Ranaut
- National Awards: Big B 'touched' by president's speech
- Big B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards function
- Evans, Downey Jr helped Holland in justifying Spiderma
In a weird incident in Turkey, a 34-year man was beaten black and blue for doing a lewd ac
Sony India on Monday launched a new portable wireless speaker for music aficionados in Ind