- Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launchYes, Virat Kohli and Anushka are backSee Sofia Hayat before she became a nunMedia has dishonoured Iulia: SalmanAyutthaya: Once a flourishing temple citySushmita celebrates 22 years of her Miss Universe winKangana Ranaut attends VERO MODA store launch, unveils new lineHot picks in accessories section this summerTransform your look with different capes this season!Mallika Sherawat's selfie moment with Mads Mikkelsen
FIFA's acting secretary general, the German-Swiss Markus Kattner, was dismissed with immed
Farmers' leader Raju Shetty gets magisterial custody Last Updated : 14 Nov 2012 08:18:41 AM IST Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana activists burned tyres to block the road after the police arrested their leader MP Raju Shetty
A local court in Pune remanded farmers' leader Raju Shetty in magisterial custody after police arrested him in connection with Monday's violent protests by farmers in western Maharashtra.
"Yesterday, Raju Shetty refused to take bail. So, judicial magistrate of Indapur sent him to magisterial custody till November 24. The situation in the district is now under control," said Pune (Rural) SP Manoj Lohiya.
A farmer was killed in police firing in Sangli district on Monday after a group of peasants tried to lock a police team inside a hotel at Nandre village after learning that Shetty was detained in Pune district.
Shetty, an MP and Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna leader, was spearheading the agitation of farmers against refusal of cooperative sugar factories in Sangli, Satara and Kolhapur districts of western Maharashtra to give Rs 3,000 per ton as first advance on sugarcane purchase this season. Factories have agreed to pay Rs 2,300 per ton.
Shetty's detention on Monday sparked large-scale violence with protesting farmers torching two state transport buses and a police jeep in Pune district, Lohiya had said.
Several buses were damaged in the protests.
Farmers had staged road blockades at various places in western Maharashtra as per the appeal made by Shetty.
Meanwhile, Shetty was lodged in Yerawada Central Jail in Pune, said Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai.
Services of state transport buses remained suspended in Sangli district today in the wake of the violence and police firing.
Kejriwal to meet Raju Shetty
There were also reports that social activist Arvind Kejriwal will meet Raju Shetty at the prison.
But according to the Yerawada Jail authorities, they have not received any request from Kejriwal.
"Daily we get many requests from relatives of jail inmates (to meet them) but we have not received any such application from Arvind Kejriwal for allowing him to meet Raju Shetty," Yerwada Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai said.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan and veteran British actor Ian McKellen discussed the work a
- This is how Ranbir will seduce Aishwarya in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Yes, Virat Kohli and Anushka are back
- See Sofia Hayat before she became a nun
- Media has dishonoured Iulia: Salman
- Sushmita celebrates 22 years of her Miss Universe win
- Kangana Ranaut attends VERO MODA store launch, unveils new line
- Ayushmann tries Chaplin-inspired look for 'Meri Pyaari Bindu'
- Big B 'nervous' about singing in 'TE3N'
While playing with your pooch at home helps evoke love and compassion in you, researchers
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
Video: Man showed private parts in bus beaten by women
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Coolpad on Friday launched a new smartphone that comes wit