- PICS: Protest over proposed Gandhi statue in LondonBarbara Mori ties knot again?Jacqueline dazzles the ramp at LFW 2014, view picsSonakshi’s superhot avatar Desi Kalakaar, view picsWatch Sunny Leone’s unseen bikini photosSalman owns these carsWill Salman Khan pose nude for Aamir?TVS launches Scooty ZestShilpa Shetty, Sushmita Sen in sexy outfits at LFWPriyanka wary of hot scenes
Top-ranked Serena Williams is seeded No. 1 as she seeks her third straight US Open title.
Farmers' leader Raju Shetty gets magisterial custody Last Updated : 14 Nov 2012 08:18:41 AM IST Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana activists burned tyres to block the road after the police arrested their leader MP Raju Shetty
A local court in Pune remanded farmers' leader Raju Shetty in magisterial custody after police arrested him in connection with Monday's violent protests by farmers in western Maharashtra.
"Yesterday, Raju Shetty refused to take bail. So, judicial magistrate of Indapur sent him to magisterial custody till November 24. The situation in the district is now under control," said Pune (Rural) SP Manoj Lohiya.
A farmer was killed in police firing in Sangli district on Monday after a group of peasants tried to lock a police team inside a hotel at Nandre village after learning that Shetty was detained in Pune district.
Shetty, an MP and Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna leader, was spearheading the agitation of farmers against refusal of cooperative sugar factories in Sangli, Satara and Kolhapur districts of western Maharashtra to give Rs 3,000 per ton as first advance on sugarcane purchase this season. Factories have agreed to pay Rs 2,300 per ton.
Shetty's detention on Monday sparked large-scale violence with protesting farmers torching two state transport buses and a police jeep in Pune district, Lohiya had said.
Several buses were damaged in the protests.
Farmers had staged road blockades at various places in western Maharashtra as per the appeal made by Shetty.
Meanwhile, Shetty was lodged in Yerawada Central Jail in Pune, said Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai.
Services of state transport buses remained suspended in Sangli district today in the wake of the violence and police firing.
Kejriwal to meet Raju Shetty
There were also reports that social activist Arvind Kejriwal will meet Raju Shetty at the prison.
But according to the Yerawada Jail authorities, they have not received any request from Kejriwal.
"Daily we get many requests from relatives of jail inmates (to meet them) but we have not received any such application from Arvind Kejriwal for allowing him to meet Raju Shetty," Yerwada Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood superstar Akshay Kumar has revealed that he is collaborating with Karan Johar fo
- Ranveer and Arjun to endorse Royal Stag
- Barbara Mori ties knot again?
- CBFC CEO took Rs 1 lakh to clear Punjabi film 'Kaum De Heere'
- Priyanka Chopra injured
- It's time for I&B ministry to help film fraternity: Vishal
- Why did Katrina refuse Baji Rao Mastani?
- Jacqueline dazzles the ramp at LFW 2014, view pics
- Sonakshi’s superhot avatar Desi Kalakaar, view pics
It is super wired, shocking and unnatural but it is true. A donkey in Saudi avoided rape a
Buyers are always on the lookout for the cheap and best and here are the best budget smart