- Daisy wants to explore moreHathaway flaunts baby bumpsSonam sends love to Fawad on birthdayPriyanka accepts defeat from Dilwale at Box officeRanveer says Priyanka better than DeepikaSRK did not want to use word 'Gerua'PM Modi Mobbed by Media for 'Selfie''Tamasha' collects Rs 10.87 crore on Day 1Preity Zinta is in no mood of tying the knot for a year atleastUnknown facts about Yami Gautam
Badminton Association of India (BAI) announced a cash award of Rs 10 lakh for PV Sindhu in
Farmers' leader Raju Shetty gets magisterial custody Last Updated : 14 Nov 2012 08:18:41 AM IST Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana activists burned tyres to block the road after the police arrested their leader MP Raju Shetty
A local court in Pune remanded farmers' leader Raju Shetty in magisterial custody after police arrested him in connection with Monday's violent protests by farmers in western Maharashtra.
"Yesterday, Raju Shetty refused to take bail. So, judicial magistrate of Indapur sent him to magisterial custody till November 24. The situation in the district is now under control," said Pune (Rural) SP Manoj Lohiya.
A farmer was killed in police firing in Sangli district on Monday after a group of peasants tried to lock a police team inside a hotel at Nandre village after learning that Shetty was detained in Pune district.
Shetty, an MP and Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna leader, was spearheading the agitation of farmers against refusal of cooperative sugar factories in Sangli, Satara and Kolhapur districts of western Maharashtra to give Rs 3,000 per ton as first advance on sugarcane purchase this season. Factories have agreed to pay Rs 2,300 per ton.
Shetty's detention on Monday sparked large-scale violence with protesting farmers torching two state transport buses and a police jeep in Pune district, Lohiya had said.
Several buses were damaged in the protests.
Farmers had staged road blockades at various places in western Maharashtra as per the appeal made by Shetty.
Meanwhile, Shetty was lodged in Yerawada Central Jail in Pune, said Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai.
Services of state transport buses remained suspended in Sangli district today in the wake of the violence and police firing.
Kejriwal to meet Raju Shetty
There were also reports that social activist Arvind Kejriwal will meet Raju Shetty at the prison.
But according to the Yerawada Jail authorities, they have not received any request from Kejriwal.
"Daily we get many requests from relatives of jail inmates (to meet them) but we have not received any such application from Arvind Kejriwal for allowing him to meet Raju Shetty," Yerwada Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai said.Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Daisy Shah trying to go beyond expectations.
- Hathaway flaunts baby bumps
- Sonam sends love to Fawad on birthday
- Priyanka accepts defeat from Dilwale at Box office
- Ranveer says Priyanka better than Deepika
- SRK did not want to use word 'Gerua'
- Not interested in awards: 'Baahubali' director
- 'Tamasha' collects Rs 10.87 crore on Day 1
- Preity Zinta is in no mood of tying the knot for a year atleast
Watch a taxi modelling on the ramp,Thailand's contestant will be wearing a tuk-tuk dress
Smartphones and tablets are becoming the preferred choices for Chinese consumers to do onl