- Turn to tea tree oil for glowing skinBig B is hopeful, things will change post 'Pink'Priyanka Chopra found it 'weird' to audition for 'Quantico'Famous bold lip-locks of B-town divas we can never forgetBeing a celebrity isn't a piece of cake: Raveena TandonHow R Ashwin charted course for India's victory in Kanpur TestI've lived an unpredictable life: Nimrat KaurKatrina shares her look from 'Jagga Jasoos'I fear getting complacent in showbiz: Kalki KoechlinDance respected and accepted as career option today: Geeta Kapur
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday congratulated Indian medallists at the recently-hel
Farmers' leader Raju Shetty gets magisterial custody Last Updated : 14 Nov 2012 08:18:41 AM IST Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana activists burned tyres to block the road after the police arrested their leader MP Raju Shetty
A local court in Pune remanded farmers' leader Raju Shetty in magisterial custody after police arrested him in connection with Monday's violent protests by farmers in western Maharashtra.
"Yesterday, Raju Shetty refused to take bail. So, judicial magistrate of Indapur sent him to magisterial custody till November 24. The situation in the district is now under control," said Pune (Rural) SP Manoj Lohiya.
A farmer was killed in police firing in Sangli district on Monday after a group of peasants tried to lock a police team inside a hotel at Nandre village after learning that Shetty was detained in Pune district.
Shetty, an MP and Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna leader, was spearheading the agitation of farmers against refusal of cooperative sugar factories in Sangli, Satara and Kolhapur districts of western Maharashtra to give Rs 3,000 per ton as first advance on sugarcane purchase this season. Factories have agreed to pay Rs 2,300 per ton.
Shetty's detention on Monday sparked large-scale violence with protesting farmers torching two state transport buses and a police jeep in Pune district, Lohiya had said.
Several buses were damaged in the protests.
Farmers had staged road blockades at various places in western Maharashtra as per the appeal made by Shetty.
Meanwhile, Shetty was lodged in Yerawada Central Jail in Pune, said Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai.
Services of state transport buses remained suspended in Sangli district today in the wake of the violence and police firing.
Kejriwal to meet Raju Shetty
There were also reports that social activist Arvind Kejriwal will meet Raju Shetty at the prison.
But according to the Yerawada Jail authorities, they have not received any request from Kejriwal.
"Daily we get many requests from relatives of jail inmates (to meet them) but we have not received any such application from Arvind Kejriwal for allowing him to meet Raju Shetty," Yerwada Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai said.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Neeraj Pandey plans to head out for a "long break" just two days before his latest 'baby',
- Priyanka Chopra found it 'weird' to audition for 'Quantico'
- Famous bold lip-locks of B-town divas we can never forget
- Being a celebrity isn't a piece of cake: Raveena Tandon
- Kailash Kher's latest video for Swachh Bharat!
- Musical tribute to Jagjit Singh by 'Tum Bin 2' makers
- Salman gets inspired from Indiana Jones
- I've lived an unpredictable life: Nimrat Kaur
- Chris Martin calls Katrina 'Katrina Kaif Kapoor'
Researching about the the early origins of the common house cat , a new DNA study has foun
With a focus on tech-savvy consumers who need compact machines with on-the-go printing f