- Nil Battey Sannata Review: Swara Bhaskar's Mother-Daughter story encourages!Decor tips to get your house summer readyMeet sexy babe Vaani KapoorSee some popular selfie poses, choose the one you likeFantastic Box Office Collection: 'The Jungle Book' debuts with over $100 mnOMG! Pratyusha was pregnantLook who gate crashed Bipasha's bachelorette partyWhy is Kangna not recording her statement: Hrithik's lawyersScariest character I have ever played: Shahid on 'Udta Punjab'Jabong launches international fashion brand Mexx in India
) Indian boxing sensation Vijender Singh has promised his fans another big knockout win wh
Gujarat Panchayat election 2010 result Last Updated : 24 Oct 2010 09:27:40 AM IST ujarat Chief Minister and BJP leader Narendra Modi flashes a victory sign to celebrate the party's win and leads in the local bodies and panchayat elections of the state, in Ahmedabad on Saturday
Ruling Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) registered landslide victory in the Gujarat Panchayat and Municipality election 2010, sources said.
The BJP swept the local bodies elections bagging 21 of the 24 district panchayats, 162 of the 208 taluka panchayats and 41 of the 53 municipalities in Gujarat Saturday.
On Oct 12, the BJP retained the municipal corporations of Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar.
As the Congress slipped to perhaps its worst ever showing, state party president Siddhartha Patel sent his resignation to party chief Sonia Gandhi, accepting moral responsibility for the dismal results.
The Gujarat Congress Legislature Party leader Shaktisinh Gohil also sent in his resignation to Gandhi, accepting joint responsibility for the party's poor performance.
In a statement released Saturday evening, Patel said that he sent his resignation accepting moral responsibility for the party's showing in the just concluded civic and panchayat elections.
"The atmosphere was favourable for the party and the workers also put in a lot of hard work but the results have been difficult to digest," he stated.
The Congress even lost the Dabhoi municipality in Vadodara district which is party of Patel's assembly constituency.
The local bodies election results declared Saturday were worst than even the 2005 elections when the Congress claimed six of the 24 district panchayats.
The party has almost been wiped out in Kutch, Saurashtra and central Gujarat regions by the BJP.
In the Broach district panchayat six independents are likely to determine which party will rule it. The BJP won 14 and the Congress won 11 seats in the 31-member panchayat.
In the elections to the 208 of the 225 taluka panchayats in the state, the Congress, which had 81 of the taluka panchayats under its control before the polls, ended up woth only 38. The BJP's strength went up from 127 to 162.
Two taluka panchayats went to the Janata Dal-United.
The BJP also bagged 41 of the 53 municipalities while the Congress could capture only three.
Five municipalities were won by other parties and the results of two municipalities are yet to be declared. In Porbandar and Botad municipalities, the BJP and the Congress are tied with 21 seats each.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (3 posted): Written by Amit Thakkar about 5 years, 6 months, 5 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes, 29 seconds ago
bihar is in last five year exellant deloloped.
Written by Paresh about 5 years, 6 months, 5 days, 11 hours, 6 minutes, 30 seconds ago
Written by Naishadh Patel, New York about 5 years, 6 months, 4 days, 9 hours, 18 minutes, 12 seconds ago
Mr. Narendra Modiji has really proved and set an example by winning a real diversified election in the State of GUJARAT, which was always blamed and bad mouthed by the rest of the country, specially CONGRESS, had also hired intelligence agencies like RAW, CBI, and others..but he came out very clean, as he is one true Politician, very hard working, and one who strongly believes in NON-CORRUPTION..
How does one describe, let alone cinematically circumscribe, the life of an unvarnished ge
- 'Mother's Day': A light-hearted celebration.
- Unfair to call me 'arrogant' for supporting Salman: Salim Khan
- 'Make In India' most important initiative by Modi: SRK
- Neetu Chandra writes open letter to Alia Bhatt, Chaubey
- Divyanka Tripathi bags maximum honours at Star Parivaar Awards 2016
- For outsiders, Bollywood is a huge gamble: Actor Swara Bhaskar
- Kamal Haasan to revive Balram Naidu character
- Preity Zinta to host reception in Mumbai
Is it true that fashion affects the personality? but it has certain tendency to achieve so
Gone are the days when laptops were marketed as fastest, smartest, biggest or best on the