- Photo : Get hands on skin, hair care tips to combat changing seasonsAnil Kapoor is a delight to work with: Neha SharmaWe're a great team: Twinkle on marriage with AkshayMovie review 'Phillauri': An astutely woven saga'Anaarkali of Aarah': Swara shines in this hard-hitting dramaAlia Bhatt watches 'Phillauri' with beau SidharthAnushka, Diljit keep believing in the impossible: SRKIndia ashamed of sexuality, physicality: Actress Radhika ApteUnknown facts about Kangana RanautAkshay Kumar has many similarities with my father: Bhushan Kumar
Spain and Italy eased past their opponents to stay unbeaten in Group G of the 2018 footba
Gujarat Panchayat election 2010 result Last Updated : 24 Oct 2010 09:27:40 AM IST ujarat Chief Minister and BJP leader Narendra Modi flashes a victory sign to celebrate the party's win and leads in the local bodies and panchayat elections of the state, in Ahmedabad on Saturday
Ruling Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) registered landslide victory in the Gujarat Panchayat and Municipality election 2010, sources said.
The BJP swept the local bodies elections bagging 21 of the 24 district panchayats, 162 of the 208 taluka panchayats and 41 of the 53 municipalities in Gujarat Saturday.
On Oct 12, the BJP retained the municipal corporations of Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar.
As the Congress slipped to perhaps its worst ever showing, state party president Siddhartha Patel sent his resignation to party chief Sonia Gandhi, accepting moral responsibility for the dismal results.
The Gujarat Congress Legislature Party leader Shaktisinh Gohil also sent in his resignation to Gandhi, accepting joint responsibility for the party's poor performance.
In a statement released Saturday evening, Patel said that he sent his resignation accepting moral responsibility for the party's showing in the just concluded civic and panchayat elections.
"The atmosphere was favourable for the party and the workers also put in a lot of hard work but the results have been difficult to digest," he stated.
The Congress even lost the Dabhoi municipality in Vadodara district which is party of Patel's assembly constituency.
The local bodies election results declared Saturday were worst than even the 2005 elections when the Congress claimed six of the 24 district panchayats.
The party has almost been wiped out in Kutch, Saurashtra and central Gujarat regions by the BJP.
In the Broach district panchayat six independents are likely to determine which party will rule it. The BJP won 14 and the Congress won 11 seats in the 31-member panchayat.
In the elections to the 208 of the 225 taluka panchayats in the state, the Congress, which had 81 of the taluka panchayats under its control before the polls, ended up woth only 38. The BJP's strength went up from 127 to 162.
Two taluka panchayats went to the Janata Dal-United.
The BJP also bagged 41 of the 53 municipalities while the Congress could capture only three.
Five municipalities were won by other parties and the results of two municipalities are yet to be declared. In Porbandar and Botad municipalities, the BJP and the Congress are tied with 21 seats each.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (3 posted): Written by Amit Thakkar about 6 years, 5 months, 2 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes, 29 seconds ago
bihar is in last five year exellant deloloped.
Written by Paresh about 6 years, 5 months, 2 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes, 30 seconds ago
Written by Naishadh Patel, New York about 6 years, 5 months, 23 hours, 17 minutes, 12 seconds ago
Mr. Narendra Modiji has really proved and set an example by winning a real diversified election in the State of GUJARAT, which was always blamed and bad mouthed by the rest of the country, specially CONGRESS, had also hired intelligence agencies like RAW, CBI, and others..but he came out very clean, as he is one true Politician, very hard working, and one who strongly believes in NON-CORRUPTION..
Actress Neha Sharma, who will be seen in a special role in the upcoming film "Mubarakan",
- We're a great team: Twinkle on marriage with Akshay
- Yogi Adityanath should do 'gas-releasing' asana: Twinkle Khanna
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- 'Peter Gunn' Star Lola Albright dies at 92
- 'Rajinikanth's visit to Sri Lanka might earn wrath of Tamil community'
- Movie review 'Phillauri': An astutely woven saga
- 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania' crosses Rs 100 crore mark in India
- 'Anaarkali of Aarah': Swara shines in this hard-hitting drama
A group of birdwatchers spotted an Australian night parrot, once thought to be extinct, fo
Finnish tech firm Nokia, which made a comeback with three Android-based phones -- Nokia 6,