- 10 B-Town kids with unique namesKerala celebrates EasterSRK teaches Lungi dance to Brett RatnerYRF to distribute Salman's 'Tubelight' overseas'Begum Jaan': It's no 'Mandi', but an experienceVolvo launches its fastest car, PolestarBangladesh celebrates Pohela BoishakhPICS: Modi prays at Deekshabhoomi'Raabta' first look: Sushant, Kirti look adorableAssam celebrates Rongali Bihu
Indian star Rohan Bopanna and his Uruguayan partner Pablo Cuevas defeated the Spanish team
Gujarat Panchayat election 2010 result Last Updated : 24 Oct 2010 09:27:40 AM IST ujarat Chief Minister and BJP leader Narendra Modi flashes a victory sign to celebrate the party's win and leads in the local bodies and panchayat elections of the state, in Ahmedabad on Saturday
Ruling Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) registered landslide victory in the Gujarat Panchayat and Municipality election 2010, sources said.
The BJP swept the local bodies elections bagging 21 of the 24 district panchayats, 162 of the 208 taluka panchayats and 41 of the 53 municipalities in Gujarat Saturday.
On Oct 12, the BJP retained the municipal corporations of Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar.
As the Congress slipped to perhaps its worst ever showing, state party president Siddhartha Patel sent his resignation to party chief Sonia Gandhi, accepting moral responsibility for the dismal results.
The Gujarat Congress Legislature Party leader Shaktisinh Gohil also sent in his resignation to Gandhi, accepting joint responsibility for the party's poor performance.
In a statement released Saturday evening, Patel said that he sent his resignation accepting moral responsibility for the party's showing in the just concluded civic and panchayat elections.
"The atmosphere was favourable for the party and the workers also put in a lot of hard work but the results have been difficult to digest," he stated.
The Congress even lost the Dabhoi municipality in Vadodara district which is party of Patel's assembly constituency.
The local bodies election results declared Saturday were worst than even the 2005 elections when the Congress claimed six of the 24 district panchayats.
The party has almost been wiped out in Kutch, Saurashtra and central Gujarat regions by the BJP.
In the Broach district panchayat six independents are likely to determine which party will rule it. The BJP won 14 and the Congress won 11 seats in the 31-member panchayat.
In the elections to the 208 of the 225 taluka panchayats in the state, the Congress, which had 81 of the taluka panchayats under its control before the polls, ended up woth only 38. The BJP's strength went up from 127 to 162.
Two taluka panchayats went to the Janata Dal-United.
The BJP also bagged 41 of the 53 municipalities while the Congress could capture only three.
Five municipalities were won by other parties and the results of two municipalities are yet to be declared. In Porbandar and Botad municipalities, the BJP and the Congress are tied with 21 seats each.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor-filmmaker Farhan Akhtar and celebrity hairstylist Adhuna Bhabani, who were married f
- Shah Rukh Khan on way to Vancouver
- Stuntmen should get equal respect at award shows: Akshay Kumar
- Esha Deol expecting first child, Hema Malini overjoyed
- Aamir attends award function for Lata Mangeshkar
- 'Baahubali 2' will make filmmakers feel like serial directors: RGV
- Shraddha ages in 'Haseena...'
- Stars wish Varun Dhawan on birthday
- Google honours Kannada superstar Rajkumar with doodle
Indian Man Kaur, 101, won the 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games here on Monday.
Owing to the complications in adding edge-to-edge screen for their new upgrades, Apple's i