- \'Diwali\' celebrations in picsSexy Mallika Sherawat celebrating birthdayRanveer hides his bald look under hat in partyTen reasons to watch \'Happy New Year\'Katie Holmes shares beauty tipsHalle Berry launched lingersPics: Bollywood celebrities who attended Aamir Khan\'s diwali partyImages: Happy New Year movie stars dazzle in DubaiSONGS: Manna Dey had a mesmerising voice!PM Modi celebrates Diwali with jawans at Siachen
Sardar Singh will lead a 21-member Indian men’s hockey squad for the four-match Test tou
Delhi gangrape case: Drama in Saket court Last Updated : 07 Jan 2013 01:08:34 PM IST File photo: In-camera hearing to begin in Delhi gangrape case from Monday
Drama ensued in Saket court during the hearing of December 16 gangrape-cum-murder case. It started with lawyers objecting to presence of an advocate to defend the accused.
The day-to-day hearing in the Delhi gang-rape case began on Saturday in a special fast-track court in Saket.
During the hearing on Sunday, two of the six accused told the court that they want to become witnesses on behalf of the state.
Out of four accused, who were produced before Metropolitan Magistrate Jyoti Kler inside her chamber after expiry of their 14-days of judicial remand, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma refused to take the service of legal aid counsel and expressed their willingness to become witnesses in the gangrape-cum-murder case.
Besides the two, Ram Singh and his brother Mukesh who were also produced before the court, have asked for legal aid counsel in the case for their defence.
Legal experts feel that an accused cannot hope to become a witness especially in a case of heinous crime like the Delhi gangrape-cum-murder to escape punishment.
The magistrate, meanwhile, extended their judicial remand till January 19, and asked them to appear before the court concerned on January 7 as per the production warrant issued to them after taking cognisance of the charge sheet filed against the accused on January 3.
The fifth accused arrested in the case Akshay Thakur will also be produced before a court on Monday as he is in judicial custody till January 9.
However, the case of sixth accused - a minor - will be heard by a Juvenile Justice Board.
While the accused were produced before the judge in her chamber, she dictated the order in open court room and no direction was given by her for prohibiting any media person from publishing or printing the proceedings.
A court had taken cognisance of the charge sheet against five of the accused yesterday under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 376 (2)(g) (gangrape), 377 (unnatural offences), 395 (dacoity), 396 (murder in dacoity), 394 (hurting in dacoity), 201 (destruction of evidence), 120-B (conspiracy), 34 (common intention) and 412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property) of the IPC.
The victim, a paramedical student, was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus here on the night of December 16 and died of her injuries on December 29 in multi-speciality Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
It is Mallika Sherawat birthday.
- Ranveer hides his bald look under hat in party
- Ten reasons to watch 'Happy New Year'
- Elizabeth Hurley enjoying with little man
- Katie Holmes shares beauty tips
- Jennifer Aniston set wedding details
- Katy Perry cancels birthday trip to Egypt?
- Halle Berry launched lingers
- Pics: Bollywood celebrities who attended Aamir Khan's diwali party
Country's first fish hospital to treat abnormalities and diseases in them is set to come u
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country