- Priyanka accepts defeat from Dilwale at Box officeRanveer says Priyanka better than DeepikaSRK did not want to use word 'Gerua'PM Modi Mobbed by Media for 'Selfie''Tamasha' collects Rs 10.87 crore on Day 1Preity Zinta is in no mood of tying the knot for a year atleastUnknown facts about Yami GautamCamera loved Smita Patil: Shyam BenegalPhiladelphia's thanksgiving paradeKnow why Quantico actor Priyanka overwhelmed Ridhima
Ethiopia’s Birhanu Legese and Kenya’s Cynthia Limo came on top after thrilling battles
Delhi gangrape case: Drama in Saket court Last Updated : 07 Jan 2013 01:08:34 PM IST File photo: In-camera hearing to begin in Delhi gangrape case from Monday
Drama ensued in Saket court during the hearing of December 16 gangrape-cum-murder case. It started with lawyers objecting to presence of an advocate to defend the accused.
The day-to-day hearing in the Delhi gang-rape case began on Saturday in a special fast-track court in Saket.
During the hearing on Sunday, two of the six accused told the court that they want to become witnesses on behalf of the state.
Out of four accused, who were produced before Metropolitan Magistrate Jyoti Kler inside her chamber after expiry of their 14-days of judicial remand, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma refused to take the service of legal aid counsel and expressed their willingness to become witnesses in the gangrape-cum-murder case.
Besides the two, Ram Singh and his brother Mukesh who were also produced before the court, have asked for legal aid counsel in the case for their defence.
Legal experts feel that an accused cannot hope to become a witness especially in a case of heinous crime like the Delhi gangrape-cum-murder to escape punishment.
The magistrate, meanwhile, extended their judicial remand till January 19, and asked them to appear before the court concerned on January 7 as per the production warrant issued to them after taking cognisance of the charge sheet filed against the accused on January 3.
The fifth accused arrested in the case Akshay Thakur will also be produced before a court on Monday as he is in judicial custody till January 9.
However, the case of sixth accused - a minor - will be heard by a Juvenile Justice Board.
While the accused were produced before the judge in her chamber, she dictated the order in open court room and no direction was given by her for prohibiting any media person from publishing or printing the proceedings.
A court had taken cognisance of the charge sheet against five of the accused yesterday under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 376 (2)(g) (gangrape), 377 (unnatural offences), 395 (dacoity), 396 (murder in dacoity), 394 (hurting in dacoity), 201 (destruction of evidence), 120-B (conspiracy), 34 (common intention) and 412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property) of the IPC.
The victim, a paramedical student, was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus here on the night of December 16 and died of her injuries on December 29 in multi-speciality Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.
Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol romantic love chemistry in "Dilwale"is set to diminish
- Ranveer says Priyanka better than Deepika
- SRK did not want to use word 'Gerua'
- Not interested in awards: 'Baahubali' director
- 'Tamasha' collects Rs 10.87 crore on Day 1
- Preity Zinta is in no mood of tying the knot for a year atleast
- Unknown facts about Yami Gautam
- Camera loved Smita Patil: Shyam Benegal
- Know why Quantico actor Priyanka overwhelmed Ridhima
Watch a taxi modelling on the ramp,Thailand's contestant will be wearing a tuk-tuk dress
Smartphones and tablets are becoming the preferred choices for Chinese consumers to do onl