- Andamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: SurveySteps to buy sunglassesGo the foreign way while munching French friesBaaghi collects 35 crores in opening weekendBipasha shares her 'monkey wedding' picsBig B gets inspiration from fans' love
India's tennis stars Sania Mirza, Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna got their French Open cam
Fire in Chandni Chowk market: Narrow lanes proving hindrance Last Updated : 14 Dec 2012 11:42:33 AM IST Firefighters douse a fire at a go-down in Bhagirath Palace, an electrical market of Chandni Chowk area, in New Delhi on Thursday.
There was no immediate report of any casualty or injury in the blaze that erupted at the Bhagirath Palace market, which sells electrical and electronics items, at around 5:10pm and 22 fire tenders were rushed to the spot, fire brigade officials said.
Delhi Fire Services Director A K Sharma said they have no information about anyone being trapped inside the building.
He refused to speculate on the cause of the fire but rescue workers said they suspected short circuit to be the cause.
Rescue workers evacuated people and barricaded the area to ensure smooth fire-fighting operations. However, congested lanes in the locality hindered fire fighters.
"The fire broke out in a godown of electrical items. It is a 200 square yard godown. There were lot of inflammable plastic and PVC material. The structure is depleted due to age. It might have developed cracks. There is all the possibility that the structure may collapse.
"We are not able to enter the building as there is a huge fire and there is a fear that the building may collapse. We are trying to prevent the fire from spreading," Sharma said.
Power supply to the area has been snapped as a precaution.
Taj Hassan, Joint Commissioner of Police (Central), said the fire was brought under control within 30 minutes and there was "no cause for worry" as the response of the fire brigade was "very good".
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Sonam Kapoor and international star Sir Ian McKellen inaugurated the Kashish Film
- Karan Johar celebrates birthday with star kids
- Big B to host only segment of Modi's bash
- Arijit Singh apology to Sultan star Salman Khan, pleading to retain his song; deletes it later
- When Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'
- Stars wish Karan Johar on birthday
- Why Arijit deletes his apology letter to Salman
- Watch: salman Khan film sultan trailer released
- Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launch
While playing with your pooch at home helps evoke love and compassion in you, researchers
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
Video: Man showed private parts in bus beaten by women
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Coolpad on Friday launched a new smartphone that comes wit