- Taking time to have a personal life: Selena Gomez6 American Tv shows Indians love to watchGionee A1 smartphone: Delight for selfie-loversFeeling beautiful begins with feeling confident, says DeepikaWomen cancer survivors more likely to have pre-term delivery'Golmaal Again' best set I've been on: Parineeti ChopraPhoto : Get hands on skin, hair care tips to combat changing seasonsAnil Kapoor is a delight to work with: Neha SharmaWe're a great team: Twinkle on marriage with AkshayMovie review 'Phillauri': An astutely woven saga
Spain and Italy eased past their opponents to stay unbeaten in Group G of the 2018 footba
Delhi govt gives in-principle approval to mono-rail system Last Updated : 18 Jan 2012 10:00:51 AM IST Monorail
Commuting through the congested east Delhi may soon become easy with the city government on Tuesday giving an in-principle approval to a 10.8 km mono-rail system which will be connected to the Metro lines.
The government plans to connect Shastri Park with Laxmi Nagar via Trilokpuri through a mono-rail having 12 stations from where commuters can access the system.
The new system is expected to supplement the existing inter-city transport modes like the Metro. The project is being developed in a way that the new system makes it possible to interchange with three Delhi Metro lines.
The in-principle approval came at a high-level meeting chaired by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and attended by Ministers A K Walia, Arvinder Singh Lovely and Ramakant Goswami, East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit, Chief Secretary P K Tripathi and Principal Secretary Chandaramohan.
"East Delhi will become the first in the city to welcome the introduction of another fast, convenient, dependable and pollution free elevated inter-city new mode of transport. In- principle approval was today given in a high-level meeting presided over by Dikshit," a senior official said.
A presentation based on a study conducted by RITES Ltd on mono-rail was given in the meeting. It was also decided to place this issue before the Cabinet to seek its formal approval to this effect, the official said.
Dikshit said it has been decided that a detailed note will be discussed in a Cabinet meeting to give a formal approval.
The mono-rail is expected to attract a daily ridership of around 1.5 lakh and will be able to provide an inter-city transport service in congested localities in East Delhi where the Delhi Metro and even buses are difficult to ply.
"Laying of mono rail lines is cheaper as compared to Delhi Metro lines. As mono rail will be plying above narrow lane in congested locality, straddle type elevated mono rail will be able to negotiate sharp curves," the official said.
The route will start from Shastri Park Metro Station passing through Yamuna Pushta Road, Rajaram Kohli Marg, Geeta Colony, Patparganj Road, Nirman Vihar Metro Station at Vikas Marg, Ganesh Nagar, New Patparganj Road and Sanjay Lake.
The route length of 10.8 km will have 12 stations -- Shastri Park, Kailash Nagar, Gandhi Nagar, Taj Enclave, Geeta Colony, Guru Angad Nagar, Scope Tower, Ganesh Nagar, Mother Diary, Patparganj, Kotla and Trilokpuri.
The route will integrate with three Delhi Metro Lines,Shastri Park Metro Station on Dilshad Garden to Rithala line, Nirman Vihar Metro Station on Anand Vihar to Dwarka Line and Trilokpuri Metro Station on Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar under construction line and provide inter-change facility.
The mono-rail will have stations on nine meter high pillars.
"It will have less noise as compared to other systems. It will be aesthetically attractive and will improve the city- line. The study has also recommended a model which will not have any financial burden on the city government. However, DSIIDC will contribute in equity. It is expected that the work on the proposed Mono Rail line will start after all the formalities are completed," the official said.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Singer Selena Gomez, who is currently rumoured to be in a relationship with singer The Wee
- 6 American Tv shows Indians love to watch
- Feeling beautiful begins with feeling confident, says Deepika
- 'Golmaal Again' best set I've been on: Parineeti Chopra
- Anil Kapoor is a delight to work with: Neha Sharma
- We're a great team: Twinkle on marriage with Akshay
- Yogi Adityanath should do 'gas-releasing' asana: Twinkle Khanna
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- 'Peter Gunn' Star Lola Albright dies at 92
A group of birdwatchers spotted an Australian night parrot, once thought to be extinct, fo
At a time when margins are razor-thin in the fast-growing domestic smartphone market, any