- Review: Mechanic ResurrectionOMG!!! Ranbir is mocking Katrina's text messages???Shahid-Mira to announce good news soon'A Flying Jatt' movie reviewShraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFWBhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her bookDeepika Padukone among worl'd richest actresses nowSakshi Malik will be Beti Bachao Beti Padhao brand ambassador in HaryanaRustom Girl Ileana D'Cruz's monsoon skin ritualFirst Look: Shah Rukh shooting for The Ring
With India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, managing to win only two medals in the j
Delhi govt gives in-principle approval to mono-rail system Last Updated : 18 Jan 2012 10:00:51 AM IST Monorail
Commuting through the congested east Delhi may soon become easy with the city government on Tuesday giving an in-principle approval to a 10.8 km mono-rail system which will be connected to the Metro lines.
The government plans to connect Shastri Park with Laxmi Nagar via Trilokpuri through a mono-rail having 12 stations from where commuters can access the system.
The new system is expected to supplement the existing inter-city transport modes like the Metro. The project is being developed in a way that the new system makes it possible to interchange with three Delhi Metro lines.
The in-principle approval came at a high-level meeting chaired by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and attended by Ministers A K Walia, Arvinder Singh Lovely and Ramakant Goswami, East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit, Chief Secretary P K Tripathi and Principal Secretary Chandaramohan.
"East Delhi will become the first in the city to welcome the introduction of another fast, convenient, dependable and pollution free elevated inter-city new mode of transport. In- principle approval was today given in a high-level meeting presided over by Dikshit," a senior official said.
A presentation based on a study conducted by RITES Ltd on mono-rail was given in the meeting. It was also decided to place this issue before the Cabinet to seek its formal approval to this effect, the official said.
Dikshit said it has been decided that a detailed note will be discussed in a Cabinet meeting to give a formal approval.
The mono-rail is expected to attract a daily ridership of around 1.5 lakh and will be able to provide an inter-city transport service in congested localities in East Delhi where the Delhi Metro and even buses are difficult to ply.
"Laying of mono rail lines is cheaper as compared to Delhi Metro lines. As mono rail will be plying above narrow lane in congested locality, straddle type elevated mono rail will be able to negotiate sharp curves," the official said.
The route will start from Shastri Park Metro Station passing through Yamuna Pushta Road, Rajaram Kohli Marg, Geeta Colony, Patparganj Road, Nirman Vihar Metro Station at Vikas Marg, Ganesh Nagar, New Patparganj Road and Sanjay Lake.
The route length of 10.8 km will have 12 stations -- Shastri Park, Kailash Nagar, Gandhi Nagar, Taj Enclave, Geeta Colony, Guru Angad Nagar, Scope Tower, Ganesh Nagar, Mother Diary, Patparganj, Kotla and Trilokpuri.
The route will integrate with three Delhi Metro Lines,Shastri Park Metro Station on Dilshad Garden to Rithala line, Nirman Vihar Metro Station on Anand Vihar to Dwarka Line and Trilokpuri Metro Station on Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar under construction line and provide inter-change facility.
The mono-rail will have stations on nine meter high pillars.
"It will have less noise as compared to other systems. It will be aesthetically attractive and will improve the city- line. The study has also recommended a model which will not have any financial burden on the city government. However, DSIIDC will contribute in equity. It is expected that the work on the proposed Mono Rail line will start after all the formalities are completed," the official said.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Director-producer Shoojit Sircar says Amitabh Bachchan, who is playing a lawyer in the for
- It's a girl for Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput
- Review: Mechanic Resurrection
- OMG!!! Ranbir is mocking Katrina's text messages???
- Palak Muchhal in tears while recording song for 'Naamkarann'
- Would love to go out-of-the-box, says Abhay Deol
- Jackie Chan is Renny Harlin's icon
- 'Freaky Ali' team to launch menswear label in Dubai
- Taapsee, Neeraj Pandey team up for 'Meera'
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
South Korean electronics conglomerate LG on Friday launched a new X Cam smartphone in Indi
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- Microsoft acquires Genee to accelerate intelligent experiences in Office 365
- Gionee launches selfie-focussed smartphone in India
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Huawei P9 with dual-lens camera launched in India at Rs 39,999