- How to spend more time, less money during vacations!'Jack Reacher...': Tom Cruise's finest film in yearsIs it safe to eat chicken amidst this bird flu rumors?Arijit Singh re-dubs for song in 'Tum Bin 2'Movie Review: '31 October': Opens up wounds that never healedVarun Gandhi is a happily married man5 reasons why Shivaay will beat ADHMDiva's Karwa Chauth 2016Indian cricketers visit territorial army camp'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' experience recreated for fans
The UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities refused to investigate ban on
Railways have derailed since I left office: Lalu Last Updated : 12 Jan 2013 06:12:36 PM IST File Photo
Criticising the rise in train fares, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Saturday said that the railways have "derailed" since he left the office of railway minister.
"The railway has derailed from the track.... The people in power are trying to destroy the lifeline of the country," Prasad told reporters.
Claiming that revenue generation from the passenger fare hike would be paltry, he said, it had not gone down well with passengers.
Instead of raising the passenger fare, the government should have revisited the freight rate and put in place additional infrastructure for improving freight service, the former railway minister said.
Prasad said that he was the first railway minister to pay special attention to freight service to generate additional revenue.
He said that he had started work to connect Ludhiana and Howrah and Mumbai and Delhi with goods trains, but his successors did not carry out the projects to the logical conclusion.
He said his initiatives to promote warehousing for traders to transport their goods had not been followed by his successors.
On the price rise, the RJD supremo demanded convening of an all-party meeting to take into account the views of all.
He said that state governments should cut various taxes on petroleum products to provide a respite to the people.
Prasad, whose party the RJD extends ouside support to the UPA government, said that the next general elections would take place on schedule and ruled out a midterm polls.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Veteran actress Shabana Azmi has slammed Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis for
- First look of Baahubali 2 unvelied at MAMI
- I have not taken a penny for 'Shivaay': Ajay Devgn
- My role in 'Sarkar 3' is small but important: Manoj Bajpai
- No skin show or liplocks in 'Ae Dil...': Aishwarya
- Producers 'thank' cinema owners for backing 'Ae Dil...' release
- MNS allows release of Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil...'
- 'My Father Iqbal': Does not rise to expectations
- Train To Busan movie review
Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejaswi Yadav has received 44,000 marriage proposals on a What
When Google launched artificial intelligence (AI)-powered premium devices Pixel and Pixel