- Shraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFWBhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her bookDeepika Padukone among worl'd richest actresses nowSakshi Malik will be Beti Bachao Beti Padhao brand ambassador in HaryanaRustom Girl Ileana D'Cruz's monsoon skin ritualFirst Look: Shah Rukh shooting for The Ring'Half Girlfriend' team finishes Cape Town scheduleSedition case filed against actor Ramya for Pakistan is not hell remarkAryan Khan flaunts abs at college partyWon't camouflage baby bump on screen: Kareena
Northern Ireland on Wednesday announced a 23-member football squad for the World Cup quali
Railways have derailed since I left office: Lalu Last Updated : 12 Jan 2013 06:12:36 PM IST File Photo
Criticising the rise in train fares, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Saturday said that the railways have "derailed" since he left the office of railway minister.
"The railway has derailed from the track.... The people in power are trying to destroy the lifeline of the country," Prasad told reporters.
Claiming that revenue generation from the passenger fare hike would be paltry, he said, it had not gone down well with passengers.
Instead of raising the passenger fare, the government should have revisited the freight rate and put in place additional infrastructure for improving freight service, the former railway minister said.
Prasad said that he was the first railway minister to pay special attention to freight service to generate additional revenue.
He said that he had started work to connect Ludhiana and Howrah and Mumbai and Delhi with goods trains, but his successors did not carry out the projects to the logical conclusion.
He said his initiatives to promote warehousing for traders to transport their goods had not been followed by his successors.
On the price rise, the RJD supremo demanded convening of an all-party meeting to take into account the views of all.
He said that state governments should cut various taxes on petroleum products to provide a respite to the people.
Prasad, whose party the RJD extends ouside support to the UPA government, said that the next general elections would take place on schedule and ruled out a midterm polls.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Academy Award-winning actor Christoph Waltz is in talks to star in filmmaker James Cameron
- Atif Aslam won't perform in Gurgaon
- B-town stars greet fans on Janmashtami
- Ariana Grande sued for copyright infringement
- Shraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFW
- Britney Spears biopic coming to TV soon
- Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami
- 'Remo' director to reunite with film's makers
- Bhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her book
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
If you are in awe of those early morning queues outside Apple Stores globally, hang on. Fr