- Preity quashes marriage report againLanka takes 1-0 lead vs India in 1st T20Cold conditions prevail across NorthTaapsee has no YSR projectPanasonic launches P66 Mega at Rs.7,990Meet World's sexiest top modelEmraan gifts 'Azhar' first look to Azharuddin on b'dayKatrina offers prayers at Ajmer dargahVarun Dhawan in Sushant-Kriti starrerWatch Out: Salman Khan sans moustache in 'Sultan'
Defending champions India bounced back to reckoning in style with a 5-0 hammering of Sri L
Railways have derailed since I left office: Lalu Last Updated : 12 Jan 2013 06:12:36 PM IST File Photo
Criticising the rise in train fares, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Saturday said that the railways have "derailed" since he left the office of railway minister.
"The railway has derailed from the track.... The people in power are trying to destroy the lifeline of the country," Prasad told reporters.
Claiming that revenue generation from the passenger fare hike would be paltry, he said, it had not gone down well with passengers.
Instead of raising the passenger fare, the government should have revisited the freight rate and put in place additional infrastructure for improving freight service, the former railway minister said.
Prasad said that he was the first railway minister to pay special attention to freight service to generate additional revenue.
He said that he had started work to connect Ludhiana and Howrah and Mumbai and Delhi with goods trains, but his successors did not carry out the projects to the logical conclusion.
He said his initiatives to promote warehousing for traders to transport their goods had not been followed by his successors.
On the price rise, the RJD supremo demanded convening of an all-party meeting to take into account the views of all.
He said that state governments should cut various taxes on petroleum products to provide a respite to the people.
Prasad, whose party the RJD extends ouside support to the UPA government, said that the next general elections would take place on schedule and ruled out a midterm polls.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Preity Zinta quashes marriage report again.
- Taapsee has no YSR project
- Why Deepika Padukone is the luckiest women?
- Revealed: Why Anushka declined Kohli's marriage proposal?
- Shahid forced Karan Johar to do this for his ex Kareena Kapoor
- Emraan gifts 'Azhar' first look to Azharuddin on b'day
- Katrina offers prayers at Ajmer dargah
- Nawazuddin to star in Sohail Khan's next
- Varun Dhawan in Sushant-Kriti starrer
Kristina Pimenova,a 10-year-old Russian girl, has sparked controversy by landing a top mo
Panasonic launches P66 Mega smartphone at Rs. 7,990 in New Delhi on Tuesday.