- Sheenojis: Charlie Sheen releases personalised emojisHot tips to stay fit and healthyReview; 'The Angry Birds Movie'Veerappan movie review'Phobia' movie reviewReview: 'Waiting' Actors rule the roostSonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film FestivalKaran Johar celebrates birthday with star kidsWhen Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'Wear the right shoe for the right occasion!
Being excited for your favourite football team, rooting for them and suffering vicariously
Railways have derailed since I left office: Lalu Last Updated : 12 Jan 2013 06:12:36 PM IST File Photo
Criticising the rise in train fares, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Saturday said that the railways have "derailed" since he left the office of railway minister.
"The railway has derailed from the track.... The people in power are trying to destroy the lifeline of the country," Prasad told reporters.
Claiming that revenue generation from the passenger fare hike would be paltry, he said, it had not gone down well with passengers.
Instead of raising the passenger fare, the government should have revisited the freight rate and put in place additional infrastructure for improving freight service, the former railway minister said.
Prasad said that he was the first railway minister to pay special attention to freight service to generate additional revenue.
He said that he had started work to connect Ludhiana and Howrah and Mumbai and Delhi with goods trains, but his successors did not carry out the projects to the logical conclusion.
He said his initiatives to promote warehousing for traders to transport their goods had not been followed by his successors.
On the price rise, the RJD supremo demanded convening of an all-party meeting to take into account the views of all.
He said that state governments should cut various taxes on petroleum products to provide a respite to the people.
Prasad, whose party the RJD extends ouside support to the UPA government, said that the next general elections would take place on schedule and ruled out a midterm polls.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Director Raam Reddy, whose Kannada film “Thithi” won the National Film Award, says tha
- Would love to work with Vidya, Aditya: Kunaal Roy Kapur
- Subhash Ghai lauds Kapil Sharma for not disrespecting icons
- Sonam shocked with 'overreaction' over Tanmay Bhat's controversial video
- Ray would have used computers differently for illustrations
- 'Animation not yet considered storytelling medium'
- Katy Perry's Twitter account hacked
- Home for 10 days, Priyanka Chopra to decide on next Hindi films
- Amitabh Bachchan, Anupam Kher mourn producer Vikas Mohan's death
We imagine the Sun as a giant burning furnace that brings sunlight to us but NASA's Solar
E-cigarette use in Britain almost doubled in two years
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Consumer electronics and home appliances major Videocon on Tuesday launched 4G-enabled Kry