- Why Shraddha uncomfortable in kissing Emraan HashmiLava from Hawaii\'s Kilauea Volcano advancing,evacuation to beginHow Aaradhya Bachchan celebrated Diwali with familyAnushka and Virat spotted together againAamir Khan\'s special for Sanjay DuttNathuram Godse should have killed Nehru, not GandhiThunderous response to Shah Rukh Khan\'s Happy New Year:Rs 44.97 crore on Day 1Amitabh\'s Jalsa turns star studded this DiwaliDeepika challenges Sunny Leone\'Diwali\' celebrations in pics
Provisionally suspended she might be but Indian boxer L Sarita Devi has not given up hop
Stampede at Chhath Puja in Patna, 21 killed Last Updated : 20 Nov 2012 09:23:33 AM IST File photo
At least twenty people, including nine children, were killed and many others injured on Monday in a stampede at a Chhat Puja site at Adalatganj ghat on the bank of the river Ganges in Patna.
Bihar Chief Secretary A K Sinha told a press conference late tonight that the incident, which occured at around 1900 hours, claimed ten lives.
He said bodies of four children and a woman were kept at Patna Medical College Hospital.
Earlier in the day, Senior Superintendent of Police (SP), City, Jayant Kant, had put the toll at 14.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said the deaths did not take place due to bridge collapse but because of the stampede.
The stampede broke out as the devotees, returning home after the 'Arghya' at the ghat to the Sun God, tried to rush out of a narrow makeshift bridge and approach a wider pontoon bridge by climbing steep stairs at the bank, Sinha said.
Kumar said the incident should not be politicized and sought the people's cooperation in providing medical aid to the injured.
His remarks came after some of the relatives of the injured smashed the glasses at the emergency ward of Patna Medical College Hospital protesting inadequate treatment, after which the doctors left the hospital.
Kumar said the doctors, however, returned following the intervention of the Principal Secretary (Health) and the DGP.
He said a thorough probe has been ordered into the incident and if any loopholes are found in the arrangements made at the ghat for the Chhat festival, action would be taken against the people responsible for it.
The Chief Minister announced Rs. two lakh compensation to the next of kin of the victims, an official spokesman said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi also expressed deep grief and sorrow over the tragedy during the Chhat Puja celebrations in Patna on Monday.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actress Shraddha Kapoor is feeling uncomfortable shooting an item number for 'Un
- How Aaradhya Bachchan celebrated Diwali with family
- Sadashiv Amrapurkar critically ill
- Anushka and Virat spotted together again
- Katie Price wants to sell breast implants to fan
- Rajinikanth first look in ‘Lingaa’
- We will never remake 'Awara': Randhir Kapoor
- Lindsay Lohan gets upset when asked about imprisonment
- Madonna's memorabilia collection to go on sale
Country's first fish hospital to treat abnormalities and diseases in them is set to come u
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country