- Shah Rukh is my idol: Faisal KhanDeepika is open to act in a film on the subject of depressionI would wish Big B personally on his birthday: DeepikaControversial love affairs of Rekha\'Jazbaa\' movie reviewWhy Aamir and Salman fought at a party?All you want to know about Bhajji's weddingSidharth, Katrina celebrate \'Baar Baar Dekho\' wrapFinal list of \'Bigg Boss 9\' inmatesActress who were physically assaulted
Pele left everyone mesmerised in an evening that had moments of nostalgia, the great debat
Stampede at Chhath Puja in Patna, 21 killed Last Updated : 20 Nov 2012 09:23:33 AM IST File photo
At least twenty people, including nine children, were killed and many others injured on Monday in a stampede at a Chhat Puja site at Adalatganj ghat on the bank of the river Ganges in Patna.
Bihar Chief Secretary A K Sinha told a press conference late tonight that the incident, which occured at around 1900 hours, claimed ten lives.
He said bodies of four children and a woman were kept at Patna Medical College Hospital.
Earlier in the day, Senior Superintendent of Police (SP), City, Jayant Kant, had put the toll at 14.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said the deaths did not take place due to bridge collapse but because of the stampede.
The stampede broke out as the devotees, returning home after the 'Arghya' at the ghat to the Sun God, tried to rush out of a narrow makeshift bridge and approach a wider pontoon bridge by climbing steep stairs at the bank, Sinha said.
Kumar said the incident should not be politicized and sought the people's cooperation in providing medical aid to the injured.
His remarks came after some of the relatives of the injured smashed the glasses at the emergency ward of Patna Medical College Hospital protesting inadequate treatment, after which the doctors left the hospital.
Kumar said the doctors, however, returned following the intervention of the Principal Secretary (Health) and the DGP.
He said a thorough probe has been ordered into the incident and if any loopholes are found in the arrangements made at the ghat for the Chhat festival, action would be taken against the people responsible for it.
The Chief Minister announced Rs. two lakh compensation to the next of kin of the victims, an official spokesman said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi also expressed deep grief and sorrow over the tragedy during the Chhat Puja celebrations in Patna on Monday.
Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The Haider star Shahid who recently stepped into his wedding life is very much fond of his
- Britney Spears buys new mansion worth USD 7.4 million
- Know what Kangana believes as a woman
- Vaani Kapoor to romance Ranveer in 'Befikre'
- What Shahid's sister Sanah said about Mira
- Why Priyanka Chopra got emotional
- Om Puri feels Sufism binds people
- Friendship with Salman won't help me win: Vikas
- What is keeping Salman Khan sleepless?
The "world's most valuable biscuit" which survived the sinking of the Titanic more than a
Apple's iPhone 6s series will be available in India from October 16 at a starting price of