- Ranveer, Parineeti in 'Kill Dil'Jas Arora to share screen with Sunny LeoneSee sexy cleavage of Vaani KapoorMovies: Kareena\'s loss is others gainWorld\'s most expensive supercarDeepika Padukone's Ranveer effectSalman Khan ridicules Aamir KhanAmericans excited over Shah Rukh Khan\'s \'Slam\' tourHrithik crowns Miss Gujarati JalsoArjun Kapoor skips Mithibai college visit
National badminton coach Pullela Gopichand is all set to expand his network of coaching f
Stampede at Chhath Puja in Patna, 21 killed Last Updated : 20 Nov 2012 09:23:33 AM IST File photo
At least twenty people, including nine children, were killed and many others injured on Monday in a stampede at a Chhat Puja site at Adalatganj ghat on the bank of the river Ganges in Patna.
Bihar Chief Secretary A K Sinha told a press conference late tonight that the incident, which occured at around 1900 hours, claimed ten lives.
He said bodies of four children and a woman were kept at Patna Medical College Hospital.
Earlier in the day, Senior Superintendent of Police (SP), City, Jayant Kant, had put the toll at 14.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said the deaths did not take place due to bridge collapse but because of the stampede.
The stampede broke out as the devotees, returning home after the 'Arghya' at the ghat to the Sun God, tried to rush out of a narrow makeshift bridge and approach a wider pontoon bridge by climbing steep stairs at the bank, Sinha said.
Kumar said the incident should not be politicized and sought the people's cooperation in providing medical aid to the injured.
His remarks came after some of the relatives of the injured smashed the glasses at the emergency ward of Patna Medical College Hospital protesting inadequate treatment, after which the doctors left the hospital.
Kumar said the doctors, however, returned following the intervention of the Principal Secretary (Health) and the DGP.
He said a thorough probe has been ordered into the incident and if any loopholes are found in the arrangements made at the ghat for the Chhat festival, action would be taken against the people responsible for it.
The Chief Minister announced Rs. two lakh compensation to the next of kin of the victims, an official spokesman said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi also expressed deep grief and sorrow over the tragedy during the Chhat Puja celebrations in Patna on Monday.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
After working together in 'Ladies vs Ricky Bahl', actor Ranveer Singh and Parineeti Chopra
- Deepika Padukone miffed with a leading daily
- Jas Arora to share screen with Sunny Leone
- 'Satyamev Jayate' to start from Oct 5th
- See sexy cleavage of Vaani Kapoor
- Movies: Kareena's loss is others gain
- Deepika Padukone's Ranveer effect
- Salman Khan ridicules Aamir Khan
- Americans excited over Shah Rukh Khan's 'Slam' tour
Lord Hanuman has managed to get an Aadhaar card made, but there are no takers for it.
Computer peripherals player Intex Technologies has launched a smartphone priced at Rs 2,