- Model poses nude to protest against Adani coal project in AustraliaThis is how Salman, SRK, Aamir celebrated EidHrithik agrees to pay 380 crore to SussanneSee pics: Richa Chadda looks sizzling hot on Tamanchey posterSalman Khan is the King of 100 crore clubSpecial prayers to celebrate EidOMG! Shruti Haasan and Tamannah Bhatia caught kissing?Two tigers killed every weekAishwarya's hot red desi avatarShruti Haasan beats exboyfriend Siddharth, Dhanush and Rajinikanth
Writhing in pain, young Vikas Thakur produced the lift of his lifetime to clinch the bron
Bypoll results: Congress suffers setback in Tehri, barely wins in Jangipur Last Updated : 13 Oct 2012 05:12:48 PM IST File Photo
The Congress on Saturday suffered a setback in the Lok Sabha by-elections when it lost the Tehri seat in Uttarakhand and barely managed to scrape through in Jangipur in West Bengal, which was held by Pranab Mukherjee, by a narrow margin.
In the prestigious Tehri seat vacated by Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, his son and Congress candidate Saket Bahuguna lost to BJP's Mala Raj Laxmi Shah, the daughter-in-law of erstwhile Tehri royal family scion Manvendra Shah, who had represented the seat for a record eight times.
But in the other seat, Congress managed to save its face largely helped by the absence of Trinamool Congress which decided not to contest the polls despite the split between the two parties recently on the issue of FDI.
Its candidate Abjijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, won the Jangipur by-election by a narrow margin of 2,536 votes defeating his nearest CPI-M rival Muzaffar Hussain.
Abhijit polled 3,32,919 votes, while the CPI-M candidate bagged 3,30,383 votes.
The senior Mukherjee had won the seat in 2009 by a huge margin of over 1.28 lakh votes under a poll alliance with Trinamool Congress.
With today's results, the strength of Congress comes down to 206 in a House of 545 while that of BJP goes up to 115.
In Tehri, BJP had banked on the traditional clout of the Tehri royals for its victory and had raised the twin issues of corruption and price rise to woo voters while Congress had sought a mandate by promising to bring big time investment to Tehri as the party was in power both in the state and at the Centre.
The BJP has snatched the seat from the Congress which fell vacant after Vijay Bahuguna resigned from it following his win from Sitarganj Assembly constituency after he became Chief Minister, capping a bitter internal party struggle.
In Jangipur, BJP candidate, Sudhangshu Biswas, who came third, polled 85,867 votes.Two independent candidates Raisuddin and Tahedul Islam polled 41,620 and 24,691 votes respectively.
The by-election was held on October 10 as the seat had fallen vacant after Pranab Mukherjee was elevated to the highest office of the country.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Where Bollywood superstar Salman Khan, who is know to celebrate the festival of Eid-ul-Fit
- Hrithik agrees to pay 380 crore to Sussanne
- See pics: Richa Chadda looks sizzling hot on Tamanchey poster
- Salman Khan is the King of 100 crore club
- OMG! Shruti Haasan and Tamannah Bhatia caught kissing?
- Aishwarya's hot red desi avatar
- Shruti Haasan beats exboyfriend Siddharth, Dhanush and Rajinikanth
- Funny video of Baby Doll Sunny Leone in Bhojpuri
- How Priyanka Chopra became Mary Kom
With a string of harrowing incidents that have left the nation enraged, parents have been
Handset maker Oplus Technologies has launched its smartphone, XonPhone 5 in the Indian mar