- Chillai Kalan ends in KashmirAmrita Arora Style Diva of Dilli Ki SardiBollywood\'s dimpled beauty Preity Zinta turns 39Vidya Balan as Benazir Bhutto in her next releaseJohnny Depp to wed fiancee AmberShruti Haasan\'s Latest Fashion Spread For FilmfareWho’s Trying to Sabotage Arjun Rampal’s RoyDiets of Bollywood starBebo, Saif enjoy with friends in GoaCollege girl challenges Honey Singh
McLaren has unveiled new car, the MP4-30 to be driven by Alonso and Button this year.
Bypoll results: Congress suffers setback in Tehri, barely wins in Jangipur Last Updated : 13 Oct 2012 05:12:48 PM IST File Photo
The Congress on Saturday suffered a setback in the Lok Sabha by-elections when it lost the Tehri seat in Uttarakhand and barely managed to scrape through in Jangipur in West Bengal, which was held by Pranab Mukherjee, by a narrow margin.
In the prestigious Tehri seat vacated by Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, his son and Congress candidate Saket Bahuguna lost to BJP's Mala Raj Laxmi Shah, the daughter-in-law of erstwhile Tehri royal family scion Manvendra Shah, who had represented the seat for a record eight times.
But in the other seat, Congress managed to save its face largely helped by the absence of Trinamool Congress which decided not to contest the polls despite the split between the two parties recently on the issue of FDI.
Its candidate Abjijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, won the Jangipur by-election by a narrow margin of 2,536 votes defeating his nearest CPI-M rival Muzaffar Hussain.
Abhijit polled 3,32,919 votes, while the CPI-M candidate bagged 3,30,383 votes.
The senior Mukherjee had won the seat in 2009 by a huge margin of over 1.28 lakh votes under a poll alliance with Trinamool Congress.
With today's results, the strength of Congress comes down to 206 in a House of 545 while that of BJP goes up to 115.
In Tehri, BJP had banked on the traditional clout of the Tehri royals for its victory and had raised the twin issues of corruption and price rise to woo voters while Congress had sought a mandate by promising to bring big time investment to Tehri as the party was in power both in the state and at the Centre.
The BJP has snatched the seat from the Congress which fell vacant after Vijay Bahuguna resigned from it following his win from Sitarganj Assembly constituency after he became Chief Minister, capping a bitter internal party struggle.
In Jangipur, BJP candidate, Sudhangshu Biswas, who came third, polled 85,867 votes.Two independent candidates Raisuddin and Tahedul Islam polled 41,620 and 24,691 votes respectively.
The by-election was held on October 10 as the seat had fallen vacant after Pranab Mukherjee was elevated to the highest office of the country.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Maliaka Arora's sister Amrita Arora who got instant fame after her item song Dilli Ki Sar
- Bollywood's dimpled beauty Preity Zinta turns 39
- Vidya Balan as Benazir Bhutto in her next release
- PICS: Johnny Depp to wed fiancee in his private yacht
- China's first Tibetan language film released in Tibet
- Watch Video:Game of Thrones' season 5 official trailer out
- Aamir Khan's new look in 'Dangal'
- Shruti Haasan's Latest Fashion Spread For Filmfare
- Who’s Trying to Sabotage Arjun Rampal’s Roy
Thousands of live cats destined "for consumption" have been seized in Hanoi.
test ad galery 3