- SRK reaches children for road safety'Tamasha' collects 38.23 crores in opening weekendI'm not getting married: Preity ZintaKatrina Kaif sports a short hairdoSunny Leone invites Tusshar Kapoor for a one-night standDeepika Padukone wants to try her luck in productionBig B to reunite with Shoojit Sircar for his nextPics: Is there a ray of hope again for the LGBT?Daisy wants to explore moreHathaway flaunts baby bumps
Badminton Association of India (BAI) announced a cash award of Rs 10 lakh for PV Sindhu in
PM Manmohan Singh faces protest during his speech Last Updated : 29 Jan 2014 12:37:39 PM IST Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (File Photo)
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh witnessed embarrassing situation during his speech at a programme organized by Waqf Development Council in Vigyan Bhavan on Wednesday.
The Prime Minister faced protest soon after completion of speech.
The protestor shouted slogans that central government ignored minorities during his regime as Prime Minister.
Protestor, who was identified as Faheem Beg, accused Prime Minister Manmohan Singh-led UPA government of ignoring minority community.
There were no development works carried out during UPA regime, Beg said soon after PM’s address.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister has assured Beg of hearing his complaint.
He asked Minority Affairs minister to address the issue of Beg.
Earlier, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said waqf assets have the potential of generating considerable returns which could be used for socio-economic development of the community.
Launching the National Waqf Development Corporation Limited (NAWADCO) here, he said it will help facilitate and mobilise financial resources for starting schools, colleges and hospitals on Waqf properties in a transparent manner.
"Today we take another step forward in our efforts to promote the interests of minorities in our country," the Prime Minister said.
"Waqf assets have the potential of generating considerable returns which could be used for socio-economic development of the community," he said.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi was also present at the inauguration of NAWADCO, a new central public sector enterprise under the Minority Affairs Ministry.
The Corporation is one of the several initiatives that the Minority Affairs Ministry has taken since its inception in2006. Government has recently enacted the Waqf (Amendment) Act, 2013.
Highlighting the minority card, Singh said, "UPA Government has been unwavering in its commitment for promotion and protection of minorities."
The Corporation is expected to play a crucial role in the development of Waqf properties for welfare of the community.
Singh also noted that the government has implemented most of the recommendations of the Sachchar Committee. The establishment of NAWADCO is a follow up of Sachchar Committee recommendation.
India has the largest number of Waqf properties in the world. There are more than 4.9 lakh registered waqf properties in the country and the current annual income from these properties is about Rs 163 crores.Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Watch comedian Raju Srivastava's new video for 'Swachha Bharat Abhiyaan'.
- SRK reaches children for road safety
- B-town goes gaga over Ranbir-Deepika's in 'Tamasha'
- Akshay-Twinkle's dinner date at Taj
- 'Tamasha' collects 38.23 crores in opening weekend
- I'm not getting married: Preity Zinta
- Katrina Kaif sports a short hairdo
- Sunny Leone invites Tusshar Kapoor for a one-night stand
- Deepika Padukone wants to try her luck in production
Watch a taxi modelling on the ramp,Thailand's contestant will be wearing a tuk-tuk dress
Smartphones and tablets are becoming the preferred choices for Chinese consumers to do onl