- Anushka Sharma romances Sidharth MalhotraHrithik celebrates Ganesh VisarjanB-Town spares Katrina because of SalmanWhat did Deepika posts on Ranbir's accountDaisy Shah celebrates Ganesh festival with Salman's familyIsabelle to go Katrina Kaif wayImages: Miley Cyrus poses completely nude for V magazineWill Deepika Padukone be the next Baby Doll of Bollywood?Bigg Boss 8 house pics leaked; know why Salman Khan turned pilotModi gifts Gita to Abe
Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova became the fifth top 10 seed to exit the US Open in the
Sonia Gandhi asks partymen to be ready for 2014 battle Last Updated : 18 Dec 2013 12:18:27 PM IST Winter session: UPA hopes passage of Women's Reservation Bill
Congress President Sonia Gandhi today conceded that lack of discipline and unity were among the reasons for the party's debacle in Assembly polls and asked the cadre not to despair and be ready for the "battle ahead" in 2014 general elections.
Sonia expressed confidence that the results of assembly polls will not have a bearing on the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
While acknowledging that there are many factors for the defeat, Gandhi said, "It is obvious that we have not been able to convince the people of our policies, programmes and achievements. We have not, it seems, been able to fulfil their aspirations."
Addressing the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) meeting here, the party chief also blamed lack of a "sense of discipline and unity" among the reasons for the party's defeat in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Delhi and Rajasthan.
"We should not lose heart. There is another battle ahead of us, in May 2014 for which we must ready ourselves. The Congress party has won and lost many elections. In victory or defeat, we must remember that it is our solemn duty to serve people to the best of our ability," she said.
In his address, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said while the recent assembly election results have been "deeply disappointing", "we should not despair for the general elections in 2014."
Singh said that assembly elections results in a few states are necessarily not an indication of what will happen in the general elections that follows months later.
"The general election next year will be fought on issues of national importance. While some of these very issues, may have been involved in the assembly elections, we will be judged in May by how we respond on national issues," he said.
The Congress President also hit out at the Opposition,mainly the BJP, without naming it, and asked partymen to strongly speak against their ideology.
"Our opponents advocate policies of divisiveness and sectarian interests. They mock our secular ethos. Their ideology is illiberal and will prevent the continuing modernisation and emancipation of our country and our people.
"We must not be afraid to speak for our ideals. We must not be afraid to speak against those, who offer only a narrow and destructive alternative," Gandhi said.
The party also distributed a booklet among its MPs that carried the achievements of UPA government and asked them to
propagate it among the electorate more effectively
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
All is not well between Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli as Anushka is ro
- Hrithik celebrates Ganesh Visarjan
- B-Town spares Katrina because of Salman
- Varun starts shooting for 'ABCD 2'
- Case filed against Ram Gopal Varma
- What did Deepika posts on Ranbir's account
- Daisy Shah celebrates Ganesh festival with Salman's family
- Isabelle to go Katrina Kaif way
- Images: Miley Cyrus poses completely nude for V magazine
A five year old boy found that his mother is pregnant, his reaction was What ..What were
With rumors of an imminent launch early next month, let's show you how the iPhone 6 will l