- Jackie Chan to appear on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'Heavy rain and snow forecast for J&KSussanne-Hrithik's picture is too cute to handleA bride is incomplete without jewelleryMumbai relatively safer, says Kangana RanautMona Lisa's journey in 'Bigg Boss 10'SRK takes AbRam's help to promote 'Raees'Great time to be a girl in the industry: Sonakshi SinhaDangal mints over Rs 375 crore in IndiaPriyanka Jagga bags her first Bollywood film
Veteran Leander Paes and his mixed doubles partner Martina Hingis won the first round but
Abu Salem seeks bail Last Updated : 29 Oct 2013 10:38:18 PM IST File photo of gangster Abu Salem.
A Delhi court on Tuesday in New Delhi adjourn till November 7 the hearing on a bail plea of gangster Abu Salem, who is facing trial for allegedly demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from a businessman here in 2002.
Salem, extradited from Portugal in November 2005, had earlier this month filed the application before the court of additional sessions judge Dharmesh Sharma.
The court did not hear the arguments on his plea as Salem was not produced before it. The police, however, sought more time to file reply on his bail plea.
The court fixed the matter for further hearing on the application on November 7 and recorded statements of the prosecution witnesses in the case.
In his bail plea filed through advocate M S Khan, Salem had said he has already been granted bail in two cases pending against him in separate courts in Delhi and due to his long "incarceration", he is entitled to get relief.
"It is pertinent to mention here that applicant-accused (Salem) in view of his long incarceration is entitled to be released on bail under the provisions contained in section 436 A of CrPC and he has been granted bail in other two cases pending against him in Delhi courts," he had said.
The counsel had also contended that there was "no chance of Salem's absconding or tampering with the evidence".
Abu Salem seeks bail, court adjourns plea for November 7th:
Salem, along with five other accused, is facing trial for demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from businessman Ashok Gupta, a resident of Greater Kailash here.
The other accused facing trial are Chanchal Mehta, Majid Khan, Pawan Kumar Mittal and Mohd Ashraf. One of the accused, Sajjan Kumar Soni, died during the pendency of the case.
According to police, Salem allegedly made threat calls to businessman Ashok Gupta in 2002 to extort Rs 5 crore from him as protection money. Police had also recorded some of the alleged telephonic calls.
Salem, facing trial in eight cases in the country including the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, is lodged in a jail in Mumbai.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan wanted singer Falguni Pathak to sing the "Udi udi" fro
- Jackie Chan to appear on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Sussanne-Hrithik's picture is too cute to handle
- Mumbai relatively safer, says Kangana Ranaut
- Mona Lisa's journey in 'Bigg Boss 10'
- SRK takes AbRam's help to promote 'Raees'
- Priyanka supports anti-Trump women's march
- Great time to be a girl in the industry: Sonakshi Sinha
- Shah Rukh Khan to travel by train for 'Raees'
Researchers at IISER-Kolkata's Ant Lab here are exploring why ants take the risk and bear
After the successful run of V5, Chinese player Vivo on Monday launched another flagship de