- Keep frizzy hair at bay this monsoonKaranvir Bohra's wife Teejay Sidhu is four months pregnantDaniel Craig might star in 'Kings'Big Budget Movies Of 2016See pic: Deepika tender moment with Pauline.Ways to keep your pet's safe this monsoonKartik Aaryan to surprise fans with diverse rolesKnow what Divyanka's ex-boyfriend Ssharad Malhotra said about her wedding6 Movies of Ranveer Singh which says he deserves the 'Best Actor' awardJennifer Winget and Fawad Khan to share big screen
The Delhi Commission for Women wrote to Hockey India, denying its action on a complaint ag
Abu Salem seeks bail Last Updated : 29 Oct 2013 10:38:18 PM IST File photo of gangster Abu Salem.
A Delhi court on Tuesday in New Delhi adjourn till November 7 the hearing on a bail plea of gangster Abu Salem, who is facing trial for allegedly demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from a businessman here in 2002.
Salem, extradited from Portugal in November 2005, had earlier this month filed the application before the court of additional sessions judge Dharmesh Sharma.
The court did not hear the arguments on his plea as Salem was not produced before it. The police, however, sought more time to file reply on his bail plea.
The court fixed the matter for further hearing on the application on November 7 and recorded statements of the prosecution witnesses in the case.
In his bail plea filed through advocate M S Khan, Salem had said he has already been granted bail in two cases pending against him in separate courts in Delhi and due to his long "incarceration", he is entitled to get relief.
"It is pertinent to mention here that applicant-accused (Salem) in view of his long incarceration is entitled to be released on bail under the provisions contained in section 436 A of CrPC and he has been granted bail in other two cases pending against him in Delhi courts," he had said.
The counsel had also contended that there was "no chance of Salem's absconding or tampering with the evidence".
Abu Salem seeks bail, court adjourns plea for November 7th:
Salem, along with five other accused, is facing trial for demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from businessman Ashok Gupta, a resident of Greater Kailash here.
The other accused facing trial are Chanchal Mehta, Majid Khan, Pawan Kumar Mittal and Mohd Ashraf. One of the accused, Sajjan Kumar Soni, died during the pendency of the case.
According to police, Salem allegedly made threat calls to businessman Ashok Gupta in 2002 to extort Rs 5 crore from him as protection money. Police had also recorded some of the alleged telephonic calls.
Salem, facing trial in eight cases in the country including the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, is lodged in a jail in Mumbai.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Veteran filmmaker Subhash Ghai has appealed to Hindi film icons like Amitabh Bachchan and
- Salman Khan to appear on July 7 for hearing
- Man ties the knot with smartphone in Las Vegas
- A.R. Rahman to sing in 'Mohenjo Daro'
- Sanjay Dutt to shoot for another film before Siddharth Anand's project
- Karanvir Bohra's wife Teejay Sidhu is four months pregnant
- Salman replies to NCW notice, but 'not apologetic'
- Wanted to know her better: Vidya Balan on Kamala Das biopic
- Trisha still front-runner for 'Queen' Tamil remake
Over 10 years, the central government spent Rs 21,482 crore ($3.2 billion) building houses
Creating a ripple in the flagship smartphone market, Reliance Retail on Monday unveiled th