- Katrina caught with Aditya at Janpath MarketShilpa Shetty to flaunt yoga movesKatrina happy to be going strongRose Day Wallpapers and Facebook imagesDeepika-Diesel will make Ranveer jealousAll you want to know about Shahid's Valentine's Day planAbhishek celebrates birthday on cruiseRandeep's shocking malnourished look in 'Sarabjit'When Sunny went topless!Hot and spicy Day at Auto Expo 2016
The Indian national football team has gained a place to be 162nd in the latest rankings re
Abu Salem seeks bail Last Updated : 29 Oct 2013 10:38:18 PM IST File photo of gangster Abu Salem.
A Delhi court on Tuesday in New Delhi adjourn till November 7 the hearing on a bail plea of gangster Abu Salem, who is facing trial for allegedly demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from a businessman here in 2002.
Salem, extradited from Portugal in November 2005, had earlier this month filed the application before the court of additional sessions judge Dharmesh Sharma.
The court did not hear the arguments on his plea as Salem was not produced before it. The police, however, sought more time to file reply on his bail plea.
The court fixed the matter for further hearing on the application on November 7 and recorded statements of the prosecution witnesses in the case.
In his bail plea filed through advocate M S Khan, Salem had said he has already been granted bail in two cases pending against him in separate courts in Delhi and due to his long "incarceration", he is entitled to get relief.
"It is pertinent to mention here that applicant-accused (Salem) in view of his long incarceration is entitled to be released on bail under the provisions contained in section 436 A of CrPC and he has been granted bail in other two cases pending against him in Delhi courts," he had said.
The counsel had also contended that there was "no chance of Salem's absconding or tampering with the evidence".
Abu Salem seeks bail, court adjourns plea for November 7th:
Salem, along with five other accused, is facing trial for demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from businessman Ashok Gupta, a resident of Greater Kailash here.
The other accused facing trial are Chanchal Mehta, Majid Khan, Pawan Kumar Mittal and Mohd Ashraf. One of the accused, Sajjan Kumar Soni, died during the pendency of the case.
According to police, Salem allegedly made threat calls to businessman Ashok Gupta in 2002 to extort Rs 5 crore from him as protection money. Police had also recorded some of the alleged telephonic calls.
Salem, facing trial in eight cases in the country including the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, is lodged in a jail in Mumbai.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Katrina Kaif caught with Aditya Roy Kapoor at Janpath Market in New Delhi.
- Katrina Kaif spending V-day with Ranbir Kapoor?
- Michael Moore in ICU with pneumonia
- Katrina happy to be going strong
- Shan Johnson found dead in her flat
- Theatre actor Markand Bhatt passes away
- Deepika-Diesel will make Ranveer jealous
- OMG! Aamir Khan loses Snapdeal contract
- I am not in awe of Kareena: Arjun Kapoor
A selfie posted by a US teenager last month on micro-blogging site Twitter boggled minds a
Taiwanese manufacturer HTC on Friday launched a new 4G-enabled smartphone, called the Desi