- Bollywood’s flop debutants in 2014, view picsSavour flavours of India at Dilli Ke PakwaanHottest songs of 2014REVEALED: Salman Khan's birthday guest listMovie review Ugly in picsPHOTOS: Ranbir hosted Christmas party for friendsSunny Leone's 'One Night Stand'Amy Adams scraps interviewEliza Coupe marries fianceFamous celeb photos of 2014
Young Kidambi Srikanth continued his meteoric rise in world badminton as he ended the seas
Abu Salem seeks bail Last Updated : 29 Oct 2013 10:38:18 PM IST File photo of gangster Abu Salem.
A Delhi court on Tuesday in New Delhi adjourn till November 7 the hearing on a bail plea of gangster Abu Salem, who is facing trial for allegedly demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from a businessman here in 2002.
Salem, extradited from Portugal in November 2005, had earlier this month filed the application before the court of additional sessions judge Dharmesh Sharma.
The court did not hear the arguments on his plea as Salem was not produced before it. The police, however, sought more time to file reply on his bail plea.
The court fixed the matter for further hearing on the application on November 7 and recorded statements of the prosecution witnesses in the case.
In his bail plea filed through advocate M S Khan, Salem had said he has already been granted bail in two cases pending against him in separate courts in Delhi and due to his long "incarceration", he is entitled to get relief.
"It is pertinent to mention here that applicant-accused (Salem) in view of his long incarceration is entitled to be released on bail under the provisions contained in section 436 A of CrPC and he has been granted bail in other two cases pending against him in Delhi courts," he had said.
The counsel had also contended that there was "no chance of Salem's absconding or tampering with the evidence".
Abu Salem seeks bail, court adjourns plea for November 7th:
Salem, along with five other accused, is facing trial for demanding Rs 5 crore as protection money from businessman Ashok Gupta, a resident of Greater Kailash here.
The other accused facing trial are Chanchal Mehta, Majid Khan, Pawan Kumar Mittal and Mohd Ashraf. One of the accused, Sajjan Kumar Soni, died during the pendency of the case.
According to police, Salem allegedly made threat calls to businessman Ashok Gupta in 2002 to extort Rs 5 crore from him as protection money. Police had also recorded some of the alleged telephonic calls.
Salem, facing trial in eight cases in the country including the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, is lodged in a jail in Mumbai.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Salman Khan's sisters Arpita Khan and Alvira will bake his birthday cake.
- Unknown facts about Salman Khan
- Fagun Thakrar is Salman's fan
- Bollywood prestigious projects in 2015
- Zeishan scripts for Priyanka in 'Madamji'
- At the Kapoors' Xmas bash Kat-Ranbir wedding was discussed
- Why was Virat avoiding being clicked with Anushka?
- See Gautam Gulati making love with an unidentified girl
- Hayden Panettiere debuts baby girl
Eight coffins from Qing Dynasty (1636-1912) imperial figures, including Emperor Qianlong
India will surpass the US as the second largest market for smartphones globally by 2016.