- Pics: B-Town celebrates P.V. Sindhu's Olympic win'Happy Bhag Jayegi': A light-hearted, feel-good filmCelebrities hail Sakshi Malik's Olympic winPink is not a film about rape, says Amitabh BachchanOn Rakhi, TV actors recount memories with 'partners in crime'B-Town celebs wish Navroz Mubarak to ParsisBritish-era bunker unearthed in Raj BhavanLeaked: Sex Scenes from award winning film 'Parched'Entertainment Being an actress, I can be anybody: Priyanka ChopraCheck out Salman's 'Tubelight' first look
Northern Ireland on Wednesday announced a 23-member football squad for the World Cup quali
Karva Chauth: A Desi version of Valentine’s Day Last Updated : 22 Oct 2013 11:55:19 AM IST Women celebrating Karva Chauth (File Photo)
With the every passing year, Karva Chauth festival has witnessed several changes and increased its popularity manifold and established its feet in rural India too.
Till a decade ago, Karva Chauth was believed to be a metropolitan festival but now has become popular among rural women too. Thanks to the growing TV serial popularity and Bollywood penetration to smaller towns, the Karva Chauth is observed in remote areas now.
The biggest contribution in Karva Chauth popularity is made by Ekta Kapoor and Karan Johar. Today it is observed so widely that one can even call it a desi version of ‘Valentine’s Day’!
Bollywood actress Kajol’s Karva Chauth fast in Karan Johar’s DDLJ inspired unmarried girls and boys to express their firm commitments towards each other. DDLJ also helped Karva Chauth to adorn modernize look in the society.
A boost for Cosmetic Industry
Apart from Bollywood movies and TV sops, Cosmetic industries also played major role to publicize Karva Chauth festival. At present, Karva Chauth has helped cosmetic markets increase its business manifold.
As per reports, the cosmetic and jewellery industry makes huge business on the occasion of Karva Chauth.
Dudes starving too
Why should women only fast for their hubbies on Karva Chauth? This is the hot debating issue for several years. A section of intellectual women and modern single girls feel that Karva Chauth is not only for long life of husband it also brings prosperity in the family and society. These women feel it is unfair for only women to fast on Karva Chauth. Now, the trend is changing.
A newly married Delhi couple is fasting on Karva Chauth this year to show love, affection and dedication for each other.
Ravi, who works in a MNC says, “My wife can’t starve for a day to pray for my long life. She feels that it will be a fun if we both celebrate the festival by fasting. The idea looked quite interestingly and I agreed to join her in fast.”
Another single girl, who observes fast for her boyfriend, says now trend is changing. “My boyfriend also starves to show his commitment towards me. Today only girls are asked to show commitment but now the ides is changing rapidly. And starving boyfriend on Karva Chauth is best way to show commitment.”
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Academy Award-winning actor Christoph Waltz is in talks to star in filmmaker James Cameron
- Atif Aslam won't perform in Gurgaon
- B-town stars greet fans on Janmashtami
- Ariana Grande sued for copyright infringement
- Shraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFW
- Britney Spears biopic coming to TV soon
- Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami
- 'Remo' director to reunite with film's makers
- Bhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her book
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
If you are in awe of those early morning queues outside Apple Stores globally, hang on. Fr