- Wear the right shoe for the right occasion!Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launchYes, Virat Kohli and Anushka are backSee Sofia Hayat before she became a nunMedia has dishonoured Iulia: SalmanAyutthaya: Once a flourishing temple citySushmita celebrates 22 years of her Miss Universe winKangana Ranaut attends VERO MODA store launch, unveils new lineHot picks in accessories section this summerTransform your look with different capes this season!
To ensure immediate recognition to the Olympic medallists, the Sports Ministry on Tuesday
Pranab Mukherjee, Sonia Gandhi pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi Last Updated : 02 Oct 2013 01:25:03 PM IST File photo
Nation on Wednesday remembered Mahatma Gandhi on the occasion of his 144th birth anniversary with top leaders paying floral tributes at his memorial in the national capital.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and senior BJP leader L K Advani were among prominent leaders who payed homage to Father of the Nation.
The Congress President was the first to arrive at Rajghat to pay tributes to Mahatma Gandh followed by BJP leader L K Advani and his daughter Pratibha.
After a while, the Prime Minister arrived at Rajghat and paid floral tributes to the Father of the Nation.
Singh and Sonia greeted each other with folded hands. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit were seated between them.
Other dignitaries who visited Rajghat include Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath, senior Congress Leaders Mani Shankar Aiyar and Manikrao H Gavit, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit among others.
An all-religion prayer was conducted during the ceremony. The favourite hymns of Gandhi were also played on the occasion.
The nation also remembered former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his 109th birth anniversary.
President, Vice President, Prime Minister, Sonia Gandhi, Advani also paid floral tributes to Shastri, who gave the slogan 'Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan', at his memorial at Vijay Ghat.
Shastri's sons Anil Shastri and Sunil Shastri were also present at the ceremony.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
As filmmaker-producer Karan Johar turned 44-year-old on Wednesday, his friends from the Hi
- Why Arijit deletes his apology letter to Salman
- Watch: salman Khan film sultan trailer released
- Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launch
- This is how Ranbir will seduce Aishwarya in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Yes, Virat Kohli and Anushka are back
- See Sofia Hayat before she became a nun
- Media has dishonoured Iulia: Salman
- Sushmita celebrates 22 years of her Miss Universe win
While playing with your pooch at home helps evoke love and compassion in you, researchers
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
Video: Man showed private parts in bus beaten by women
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Coolpad on Friday launched a new smartphone that comes wit