- Use simple cardio workouts for weight lossSurprising that The Conjuring 2 is doing very well on Box OfficeBlood Donation Day: What ails the blood donation sectorB'day Special: Why we call Kirron Kher a fashionistaAnil-Arjun to play Uncle-Nephew onscreenHow to keep your make-up products safe during monsoonKarisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur granted divorceShekhar Kapur's tryst with Shakespeare for 'Will'Wow! Aamir loses 25 kgs post-DangalBollywood thumbs up to High Court order on Udta Punjab
Portugal winger Nani believes star striker Cristiano Ronaldo’s brace against Hungary in
Pranab Mukherjee, Sonia Gandhi pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi Last Updated : 02 Oct 2013 01:25:03 PM IST File photo
Nation on Wednesday remembered Mahatma Gandhi on the occasion of his 144th birth anniversary with top leaders paying floral tributes at his memorial in the national capital.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and senior BJP leader L K Advani were among prominent leaders who payed homage to Father of the Nation.
The Congress President was the first to arrive at Rajghat to pay tributes to Mahatma Gandh followed by BJP leader L K Advani and his daughter Pratibha.
After a while, the Prime Minister arrived at Rajghat and paid floral tributes to the Father of the Nation.
Singh and Sonia greeted each other with folded hands. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit were seated between them.
Other dignitaries who visited Rajghat include Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath, senior Congress Leaders Mani Shankar Aiyar and Manikrao H Gavit, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit among others.
An all-religion prayer was conducted during the ceremony. The favourite hymns of Gandhi were also played on the occasion.
The nation also remembered former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his 109th birth anniversary.
President, Vice President, Prime Minister, Sonia Gandhi, Advani also paid floral tributes to Shastri, who gave the slogan 'Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan', at his memorial at Vijay Ghat.
Shastri's sons Anil Shastri and Sunil Shastri were also present at the ceremony.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Salman Khan, who feels he has “always been unlucky” in love, says he is “a
- Sky is the limit for me with right director: Alia Bhatt
- It's not about size of role in Hollywood, but experience: Deepika
- Revealed: Whom is Ankita Lokhande dating after Sushant!
- 'Raman Raghav 2.0': Cleverly crafted, compelling
- Shivaay poster: Erika Kaar joins the journey
- Deepika, Sonakshi and Priyanka on Day 1 of IIFA
- IIFA kicks off with trailer launch of 'Mirzya', Shilpa Shetty's 'thumkas'
- Salman Khan vows to keep speech 'short' after rape controversy
Over 10 years, the central government spent Rs 21,482 crore ($3.2 billion) building houses
Panasonic India on Thursday launched a new fully-rugged, 2-in-1 lightweight Toughbook CF-2