- Sunny Leone\'s Pink Lips song crosses 10 million hits on YouTubeImages: Meet Navjot Singh Sidhu\'s glamorous daughter Rabia SidhuBigg Boss: Sonali, Gautam get cozy in bed, view picsAbhishek Bachchan\'s big brother is SRKRange Rover factory in China inauguratedRemedy on Dhanteras to become richRekha's vanity van tantrumsPICS: Celebrate eco-friendly DiwaliAamir, Ekta Kapoor to host Diwali card partyBill Clinton\'s Girlfriend Monica Lewinsky joins Twitter
India's chief hockey coach Terry Walsh sprang a surprise by resigning from his post beca
Sathasivam sworn in as Chief Justice of India on Friday Last Updated : 19 Jul 2013 01:01:52 PM IST File photo: Justice P Sathasivam
He took over the post from Justice Altamas Kabir, who served as the CJI for over nine months.
Justice Sathasivam, 64, took oath in the name of God at a brief ceremony at Darbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Vice President Hamid Ansari, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley, NDA Working Chairperson L K Advani, CPI leader D Raja, several Union ministers were present at the ceremony.
Justice Sathasivam was elevated to the Supreme Court in August, 2007 and would demit office on April 26, 2014.
Like his predecessor, Justice Sathasivam is opposed to scrapping of the present Collegium system for appointment of Supreme Court and High Court judges.
But at the same time, he has admitted that there are drawbacks in the Collegium system and efforts can be made to overcome the shortcomings to ensure transparency.
"There are drawbacks, I accept. But these drawbacks can be settled," he had said on Thursday.
Justice Sathasivam said he would work towards reducing the backlog of cases by fixing time limit for arguments, submitting written notes.
Born on April 27, 1949, he enrolled as an advocate in July 1973 at Madras and was appointed as a permanent Judge of the Madras High Court in January, 1996.
Later, he was transferred to the Punjab and Haryana High Court in April, 2007.
Elaborating on his plan during his less than 10 month long tenure as Chief Justice of India, Sathasivam had said yesterday that "Delay in disposal of cases is a major issue."
"This difficulty can be overcome by enhancing judicial productivity both qualitatively and quantitatively," he said.
Justice Sathasivam said he would work towards reducing the backlog of cases by "fixing time limit for arguments, submitting written notes," etc.
Some major judgements by Justice Sathasivam include the Mumbai blasts case and that of Pakistani scientist Mohammed Khalil Chisti.
A bench of Justice Sathasivam and Justice B S Chauhan had upheld the conviction of actor Sanjay Dutt and several others in the Mumbai blasts case.
The bench had slammed Pakistan and its intelligence agency ISI for training the perpetrators of the 1993 blasts and failing to discharge its obligation under international law to prevent terrorist attacks emanating from its territory.
"It is devastating to state that Pakistan being a member of the United Nations, whose primary object is to maintain international peace and security, has infringed the recognized principles under international law which obligate all states to prevent terrorist attacks emanating from their territory and inflicting injuries to other states," it had said.
Another Bench headed by him that had set aside the conviction of Pakistani scientist Chisti.
Justice Sathasivam had also delivered the verdict in the triple murder case of Australian missionary Graham Staines. He had upheld the conviction of Dara Singh in that case.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Because of her illness, the actress had to call off a promotional appearance for season tw
- Sunny Leone's Pink Lips song crosses 10 million hits on YouTube
- Images: Meet Navjot Singh Sidhu's glamorous daughter Rabia Sidhu
- Toni Garrn enjoys Tennis with Leonardo
- Bigg Boss: Sonali, Gautam get cozy in bed, view pics
- Priyanka gives up Diwali celebrations
- Abhishek Bachchan's big brother is SRK
- When Randeep Hooda, Nandana Sen go nude for Kahe Sataye song from Rang Rasiya: Watch
- Kareena flaunts cleavage at IIFA 2014, view pic
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country