- Narula brothers wins \'KBC 8\'Sonam Kapoor speaks against Deepika Padukone in cleavage controversyImages: Vikram, Amy Jackson starrer Tamil film I behind the scenesShanti to debut with \'I Love Dubai\' in B-woodImages: Congress politician Shashi Tharoor to act in movie?Hrehaan and Hridhaan\'s Bollywood dreamsAwesome start to Incheon GamesApple crop in Kashmir completely destroyedRanbir recommends Alia for Ram Lakhan 2,Katrina furiousSonakshi Sinha puts on weight for Rajinikanth
Maintaining her rich vein of form in the current season, Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza and
Manmohan Singh congratulates Sharif, invites him to India Last Updated : 13 May 2013 09:37:43 AM IST File photo: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh congratulated Nawaz Sharif
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday lost no time in congratulating Nawaz Sharif on his election victory, which will give him his third term as Prime Minister of Pakistan, and invited him to visit India at a mutually convenient time.
In an unusually quick response even as counting of votes was underway in Pakistan, Singh conveyed India's desire to work with him to chart a new course in Indo-Pak relations.
In a letter to Sharif, Prime Minister Singh said, "I look forward to working with you and your government to chart a new course and pursue a new destiny in the relations between our countries. I would also like to extend an invitation to you to visit India at a mutually convenient time."
He said the "people of India also welcome your publicly articulated commitment to a relationship between India and Pakistan that is defined by peace, friendship and cooperation".
Singh, who addressed Sharif as "Dear Mian Saheb" in the letter, extended his "heartiest congratulations" on the PML-N's "emphatic victory".
Talking to the media last night in Lahore, Sharif said he worked hard for the peace process with India before former military ruler Pervez Musharraf deposed him in 1999.
"We'll pick the threads where we left. We want to move toward better relations with India, to resolve the remaining issues through peaceful means, including that of Kashmir," he said.
During the course of his campaign, Sharif had expressed his keenness to visit India at the earliest.
The PML-N returned to power after millions of Pakistanis braved Taliban threats and violence that claimed some 50 lives to vote in the landmark general election that marked the first transition from one civilian government to another in the country's 66-year history.
The "historic election" was a "significant victory for democracy in Pakistan. The people of India have watched with admiration the people of Pakistan braving violence and strife and turning out in large numbers to affirm their democratic rights," Singh said.
He wrote: "You have received a strong mandate to lead Pakistan towards a stable, peaceful and prosperous future. I wish you all success in meeting the hopes and expectations of your people as you prepare to assume your new responsibilities."
The people and political parties of Pakistan "deserve all credit for strengthening the framework of democracy" by participating in the election despite "enormous challenges", the prime minister said.
"My wife joins me in extending to you and Begum Saheba our best wishes," he said.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid hoped that India will continue to have good relations with Pakistan under Sharif's leadership.
Sharif served as premier during 1990-1993 and 1997-1999 but was ousted from office before he could complete his term - once on corruption charges and later because of the coup led by Musharraf.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachhan stands along with the winnner of first ever contestant
- Sonam Kapoor speaks against Deepika Padukone in cleavage controversy
- Images: Vikram, Amy Jackson starrer Tamil film I behind the scenes
- Shanti to debut with 'I Love Dubai' in B-wood
- Images: Congress politician Shashi Tharoor to act in movie?
- Hrehaan and Hridhaan's Bollywood dreams
- KBC8: Delhi's Narula brothers win Rs 7 crore
- SRK crosses 9 million followers on Twitter
- Ranbir recommends Alia for Ram Lakhan 2,Katrina furious
Generally we see dogs as a cheerful and playful animal. However, they too can be pessimist
Feature phone maker Jivi has launched its first affordable smartphone. The handset is pr