- Salman to don astronaut look for show promoAll my roles had potential to stereotype me: SwaraKnow more about Neha DhupiaShahid-Mira: Journey from lovers to parentsJacqueline turns showstopper for Rajesh SinghJhanvi-Sara might star with Tiger in SOTY 2Review: Mechanic ResurrectionOMG!!! Ranbir is mocking Katrina's text messages???While kissing in 'A Flying Jat', Jacqualine-Tiger refused to hear cutShahid-Mira to announce good news soon
Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Das Gupta on Saturday welcomed Pri
Veerappan aides likely to be executed ? Last Updated : 17 Feb 2013 03:20:05 PM IST Veerappan aides likely to be executed ?
Four aides of sandalwood smuggler Veerappan were offered sweets on Sunday amid indications that they are likely to be executed.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had refused urgent hearing on their plea seeking stay of execution of their death penalty reportedly fixed for Sunday..
There are reports that doctors at the jail in Belgaum in Karnataka physically examined the the four convicts - Gnanaprakash, Simon, Meesekar Madaiah and Bilavendran and checked their blood pressure, height and weight on Saturday night.
Death penalty was awarded in connection with a landmine blast that had killed 22 policemen in Karnataka nearly 20 years ago,
On Saturday night they were lodged in separate cells in the prison and were offered sweets after they took bathe.Their mercy petition was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee on February 13 and according to sources, their
hanging has been fixed for Sunday
Veerappan's elder brother Gnanaprakash, Simon, Meesekar Madaiah and Bilavendran were awarded death sentence in 2004 in connection with a landmine blast at Palar in Karnataka in 1993 in which 22 police personnel were killed.
The matter was mentioned before Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir but he did not give a hearing to it, said a staff from his office when contacted. Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, who had mentioned the matter at the CJI's residence, said the Chief Justice did not hear the matter this evening on the ground that there was no proof that execution will take place on Sunday.
He said the CJI told him that the matter will be taken up for hearing in due course. Gonsalves and his associate advocate Samik Narain said they approached the apex court after getting information that the execution of death penalty will take place on Sunday
"Now we are hoping that the execution will not take place tomorrow," they said, adding that they will again mention the
matter before the court on Monday.
The four convicts are lodged in a jail in Belgaum in Karnataka.A TADA court in Mysore had in 2001 sentenced them to life
term which was enhanced to death sentence by the apex cour .
Gang leader Veerappan was killed in an encounter with the Tamil Nadu police in October 2004.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Shantanu and Nikhil showcased a separate line of menswear and women's wear at the ongoing
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Cara Delevingne goes bottomless to raise awareness about cancer
- Construction worker dies on 'Blade Runner' sequel set
- Don't want quick success: Sayani Gupta
- Nowadays commercial films are cliched: Shoojit Sircar
- Industry has changed, but not my life: Dolly
- Salman to don astronaut look for show promo
- Jaya Prada in UP Film Council with cabinet rank
A 53-year-old woman was killed while descending a 3,000-feet mountain after her husband u
US tech giant Apple is planning to remove the physical Touch ID button below the screen an