- Andamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: SurveySteps to buy sunglassesGo the foreign way while munching French friesBaaghi collects 35 crores in opening weekendBipasha shares her 'monkey wedding' picsBig B gets inspiration from fans' love
India's tennis stars Sania Mirza, Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna got their French Open cam
Veerappan aides likely to be executed ? Last Updated : 17 Feb 2013 03:20:05 PM IST Veerappan aides likely to be executed ?
Four aides of sandalwood smuggler Veerappan were offered sweets on Sunday amid indications that they are likely to be executed.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had refused urgent hearing on their plea seeking stay of execution of their death penalty reportedly fixed for Sunday..
There are reports that doctors at the jail in Belgaum in Karnataka physically examined the the four convicts - Gnanaprakash, Simon, Meesekar Madaiah and Bilavendran and checked their blood pressure, height and weight on Saturday night.
Death penalty was awarded in connection with a landmine blast that had killed 22 policemen in Karnataka nearly 20 years ago,
On Saturday night they were lodged in separate cells in the prison and were offered sweets after they took bathe.Their mercy petition was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee on February 13 and according to sources, their
hanging has been fixed for Sunday
Veerappan's elder brother Gnanaprakash, Simon, Meesekar Madaiah and Bilavendran were awarded death sentence in 2004 in connection with a landmine blast at Palar in Karnataka in 1993 in which 22 police personnel were killed.
The matter was mentioned before Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir but he did not give a hearing to it, said a staff from his office when contacted. Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, who had mentioned the matter at the CJI's residence, said the Chief Justice did not hear the matter this evening on the ground that there was no proof that execution will take place on Sunday.
He said the CJI told him that the matter will be taken up for hearing in due course. Gonsalves and his associate advocate Samik Narain said they approached the apex court after getting information that the execution of death penalty will take place on Sunday
"Now we are hoping that the execution will not take place tomorrow," they said, adding that they will again mention the
matter before the court on Monday.
The four convicts are lodged in a jail in Belgaum in Karnataka.A TADA court in Mysore had in 2001 sentenced them to life
term which was enhanced to death sentence by the apex cour .
Gang leader Veerappan was killed in an encounter with the Tamil Nadu police in October 2004.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Sonam Kapoor and international star Sir Ian McKellen inaugurated the Kashish Film
- Karan Johar celebrates birthday with star kids
- Big B to host only segment of Modi's bash
- Arijit Singh apology to Sultan star Salman Khan, pleading to retain his song; deletes it later
- When Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'
- Stars wish Karan Johar on birthday
- Why Arijit deletes his apology letter to Salman
- Watch: salman Khan film sultan trailer released
- Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launch
While playing with your pooch at home helps evoke love and compassion in you, researchers
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
Video: Man showed private parts in bus beaten by women
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Coolpad on Friday launched a new smartphone that comes wit