- Sheenojis: Charlie Sheen releases personalised emojisHot tips to stay fit and healthyReview; 'The Angry Birds Movie'Veerappan movie review'Phobia' movie reviewReview: 'Waiting' Actors rule the roostSonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film FestivalKaran Johar celebrates birthday with star kidsWhen Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'Wear the right shoe for the right occasion!
Veteran discuss thrower Seema Antil qualified for the Rio Olympics with a gold medal winni
Afzal Guru first to be hanged at Tihar Last Updated : 09 Feb 2013 09:14:33 PM IST File photo of Mohammed Afzal Guru.
Mohammed Afzal Guru's hanging on Saturday was the first to have taken place in Tihar Jail in New Delhi over two decades.
The last hanging in Tihar was in 1989 when the killers of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi went to the gallows.
Satwant and Kehar Singh were hanged by executioners Kallu and Fakira.
"The last hanging that took place here was that of Satwant and Kehar," Director General of Tihar Jail Vimla Mehra told media persons.
Asked about the identity of the hangman who pulled the lever on Guru, she refused to reveal the name, saying "We are not going to give the name of the hangman".
Afzal Guru first to be hanged at Tihar after Indira Gandhi's killers:
Prodded about what was Guru's last wish, Mehra said, "We are not going to give any details at the moment".
Senior Tihar Jail officials, who oversaw the entire preparation for hanging of Guru, said he was "very peaceful" and "calm" during the final moments and did not appear repentant.
However, a senior official said Guru, who was lodged in Jail No 3 of the prison, was a "little shaken" when informed about his impending execution last evening.
A resident of Sopore in North Kashmir, 43-year-old Guru was executed at 8 AM near Jail No 3 in a top-secret operation.
A special court had sentenced Guru to death in December 2002 for his role in aiding and abetting the 2001 attack on Parliament which was upheld by the Supreme Court on August 4th, 2005.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar on Saturday launched his premium menswear and and accessor
- I am a greedy actor, says Vidya Balan
- SRK takes flight back from work to avoid traffic!
- When Karan Johar got emotional on 'Befikre' set!
- In coming times, all cinemas will be multiplexes: Big B
- Karan-Bipasha open to working together
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Poster of Vidya Balan's first Marathi film out
- Harman Baweja's brother's 'personal' video leaked online
The number of people in Britain who have tried e-cigarettes has almost doubled in just two
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
In a bid to heat up the premium flagship smartphone segment, Taiwan-based company HTC on T