- Sheenojis: Charlie Sheen releases personalised emojisHot tips to stay fit and healthyReview; 'The Angry Birds Movie'Veerappan movie review'Phobia' movie reviewReview: 'Waiting' Actors rule the roostSonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film FestivalKaran Johar celebrates birthday with star kidsWhen Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'Wear the right shoe for the right occasion!
Being excited for your favourite football team, rooting for them and suffering vicariously
Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru hanged at Tihar jail Last Updated : 10 Feb 2013 10:40:39 AM IST File photo: Afzal Guru hanged
Mohammed Afzal Guru was hanged to death at the Tihar Jail in New Delhi on Saturday morning.
Home Secetary R.K.Singh has confirmed the news that Afzal Guru was hanged at Tihar Jail in the national capital.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that Parliament attacked accused Afzal Guru was hanged at 8 AM. on Saturday morning in a top-secret operation.
President Pranab Mukherjee has rejected the mercy petition of Afzal Guru, who is convicted for masterminding the attack on India's Parliament in 2001.
According to the Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony, the mercy plea of Afzal Guru was rejected few days ago.
The prison authorities remained tight-lipped about the details of hanging performed in a well-guarded secret operation.
Belonged to Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir, Guru was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court of India in 2004.
The attack on India's Parliament in 2001was conducted jointly by the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LET) and the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JEM).
On December 13, 2001, five heavily-armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine persons.
They included five Delhi Police personnel, a woman Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) official, two Parliament watch and ward staff and a gardener.
A journalist, who was injured, died later. All five terrorists were shot dead.
A year later, four accused, including Afzal Guru, were arrested for the attack and found guilty after a trial.
Meanwhile, Curfew has been imposed in Kashmir valley.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Kunaal Roy Kapur, who has shown keen interest in trying his hand at direction, says
- Subhash Ghai lauds Kapil Sharma for not disrespecting icons
- Sonam shocked with 'overreaction' over Tanmay Bhat's controversial video
- Ray would have used computers differently for illustrations
- 'Animation not yet considered storytelling medium'
- Katy Perry's Twitter account hacked
- Home for 10 days, Priyanka Chopra to decide on next Hindi films
- Amitabh Bachchan, Anupam Kher mourn producer Vikas Mohan's death
- Emilia Clarke wants to be first female James Bond
We imagine the Sun as a giant burning furnace that brings sunlight to us but NASA's Solar
E-cigarette use in Britain almost doubled in two years
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Consumer electronics and home appliances major Videocon on Tuesday launched 4G-enabled Kry