- Arjun Rampal growing beard for 'Daddy'Who is playing Aamir Khan\'s daughter in Dangal?PICS:Rahul blames Modi for snatching land from farmersWhy Sunny Leone is better than Sherlyn Chopra and Rakhi SawantNew 'Jurassic World' poster unveiledRussell powers KKR home by 4 wickets against KXIPMeet Poonam Dhillon's daughterMalaika's blouse gets unbuttonedAmitabh-Aish at the opening of Kalyan JewellersYamaha launches 125cc bike Saluto
Indian tennis star Sania Mirza says she would do all it takes to maintain her world number
All-girls rock band row: JK Grandmufti terms singing un-Islamic Last Updated : 04 Feb 2013 08:32:02 AM IST File photo: Grandmufti of Jammu and Kashmir Bashiruddin Ahmad
Amid support for the All-girls rock band of Kashmir pouring in from all sections of the society, Grandmufti of Jammu and Kashmir Bashiruddin Ahmad on Sunday termed singing as "un-Islamic" and asked them to abandon it.
The Grandmufti issued a decree in Srinagar on Sunday, terming singing as un-Islamic.
"I have said that singing is not in accordance with Islamic teachings," Ahmad told media.
The cleric said he has advised the members of the rock band to "abandon" singing as it is against Islamic teachings and will not help them in playing any constructive role in the society.
"Society cannot be built or developed by doing un-Islamic acts like singing. I have advised these girls, and other Muslims as well, to stay within the limits of modesty as prescribed for them," he added.
The all-girls band, which came to limelight in late December last year after their performance at the annual 'Battle of the Bands' competition in Srinagar, had defied the convention by stepping into the male-dominated field of music.
The girls' band has received abusive and hate messages on their Facebook page for defying convention by choosing the field of music.
However, support has been pouring in from all corners on social networking sites for the band and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has also backed them.
Omar came out in support of the girls on Saturday saying police will probe the threats.
"I hope these talented young girls will not let a handful of morons silence them," he said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Malaika Arora Khan wants to turn choreographer for movies after showing off her da
- Big B enjoying homemade stories of little Aaradhaya
- Sonam Kapoor humbled to play 'Neerja Bhanot'
- Anushka taking career's biggest risk
- Know the Truth behind Shahid's No to 'XXX'!
- Arjun Rampal growing beard for 'Daddy'
- Calvin Harris is allergic to Taylor Swift's cats
- Kylie Jenner doesn't want to be a model
- Kevin James uses a Segway to control his children.
The sight of driverless Delhi Metro trains whizzing past stations, crowded and deserted, i
Running out of battery? Yell at your phone to charge it!