- Akshay Kumar praises Salman after Shilpa Shetty\'s husband dissesOMG!! Salman Khan behind ending Kapil Sharma YashRaj dreamWhy Virat blushed at Anushka\'s nameWhat happened between Ranbir, DeepikaPics: Ranbir Kapoor wants to wed girlfriend Katrina Kaif soonPreity Zinta accuses Ness Wadia of throwing cigarette at her faceWho is the sexiest among Salman Khan\'s girls?Ranbir, Katrina and Ranveer, Deepika are double dating in France?Raj Kundra dares Salman KhanHot PICS of Vaani Kapoor
The unprecedented success achieved in the last edition would be hard to replicate this tim
President promulgates ordinance on crime Last Updated : 04 Feb 2013 08:15:40 AM IST File photo of The President of India Pranab Mukherjee.
Two days after it was cleared by the Union Cabinet, an ordinance on sexual violence against women under which rape that leads to death of the victim can now attract death penalty was on Sunday promulgated by President Pranab Mukherjee.
The President has given his assent to the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance 2013, a Home Ministry spokesperson said.
The Union Cabinet on Friday recommended the draft of the ordinance to the President for his assent in a bid to fast-track stringent amendments to the criminal laws to check crime against women. The ordinance came less than three weeks before the start of the Budget Session of Parliament.
The ordinance, based on the recommendations of the Justice J S Verma Committee and going beyond, also proposes to replace the word 'rape' with 'sexual assault' to expand the definition of all types sexual crimes against women.
President promulgates ordinance on crime against women:
The ordinance has evoked a mixed response with opposition BJP welcoming it but CPI(M) and several women's groups opposed it, attacking the government for doing "injustice" to Verma Committee recommendations.
Being brought against the backdrop of the gangrape and brutal assault of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi in December that shook the country, the ordinance entails changes in the criminal law by amending Indian Penal Code (IPC), Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and the Evidence Act.
It also proposes enhanced punishment for other crimes against women like stalking, voyeurism, acid attacks, indecent gestures like words and inappropriate touch and brings into its ambit 'marital rape'.
The Union Cabinet at the specially-convened meeting went beyond the Verma Committee's recommendation by providing for capital punishment in the cases where rape leads to death of the victim or leaves her in "persistent vegetative state".
In such cases, the minimum punishment will be 20 years in jail which can be extended to the natural life of the convict or death, sources said, adding discretion will be with the court.
After the Delhi gangrape incident, there were vociferous demands for death penalty, but the Verma committee has not favoured it.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
After Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra audaciously commented that he earns more in just
- OMG!! Salman Khan behind ending Kapil Sharma YashRaj dream
- Why Virat blushed at Anushka's name
- What happened between Ranbir, Deepika
- Pics: Ranbir Kapoor wants to wed girlfriend Katrina Kaif soon
- Who is the sexiest among Salman Khan's girls?
- Ranbir, Katrina and Ranveer, Deepika are double dating in France?
- Raj Kundra dares Salman Khan
- Hot PICS of Vaani Kapoor
The Zoology department of Jawaharlal Nehru College (JNC) at Pasighat in East Siang distric
LG Electronics has launched its new flagship smartphone LG G3.