- People stop taking calls if you deliver a flop: Abhishek BachchanChinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, supportAkshay had a ball shooting cameo for 'Dishoom'Iulia Vantur celebrated birthday with Salman KhanICW 2016: Rohit Bal adds Russian touch to India fashionB-Town hails Salman's acquittal in poaching casesKangana turns Mughal empress for at the FDCI India Couture Week 2016Why not: Kangana on getting married more than once'Madaari': A heartbreaking wake-up callVijay Raaz did 'Mission Tiger' for free
The decision of the International Olympic Committee to allow each federation to assess the
Cannot trust PM, Sonia over Lokpal bill: Anna Last Updated : 31 Jan 2013 09:07:20 PM IST Social activist Anna Hazare with Gen (retd.) VK Singh addresses the media at Mahila Charkha Samiti in Patna on Thursday.
Questioning UPA government's commitment to root out corruption in the country, anti-graft activist Anna Hazare on Thursday said he does not trust Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi for enactment of a stringent Lokpal Bill.
"Both PM and Sonia Gandhi can no more be trusted to bring a stringent Lokpal bill to root out corruption ... Had they been committed to the issue it would not have taken two years to take concrete decision in this regard," Hazare told reporters here.
Describing the Lokpal Bill approved by the union cabinet as 'a farce', Hazare said he had written a letter to the Congress president in reply to her letter to him seeking clarification whether the proposed bill will be a stringent one and whether CBI and the CVC will be kept out of the government's control.
But she has not responded to these clarifications, he said and trashed the proposed Lokpal Bill. "The Centre is trying to befool the people by going ahead with it."
If the government went ahead with the enactment of a 'weak' Lokpal Bill, he would launch another agitation, Hazare, who had sat on indefinite hunger strike at the Ramlila grounds in Delhi last year to press for the Jan Lokpal Bill, said.
Hazare, who had launched apolitical outfit 'Janatantra Morcha' to work for change of system here yesterday, said he will travel across the country to mobilise people to join his 'crusade'.
Cannot trust PM, Sonia to bring stringent Lokpal bill: Anna Hazare
He will begin with public meetings in the four states, including in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. The names of the other two states will be decided later.
The Morcha will mobilise people to work collectively for rooting out corruption from the country by electing representatives of clean backgrounds.
Its workers will campaign in the run up to the general elections so that the people become conscious of their rights and commitment to change the system through ballot, he said.
"This way, the central government will be compelled to translate the agendas of Jan Lokpal Bill into action and root out corruption," Hazare said adding that the scourge will be eliminated by about 50-60 per cent if the Lokpal bill as suggested by the civil society comes into force.
The anti-graft activist expressed apprehension about selfish and self-serving people joining his outfit to derail his agendas and said that he will ensure that such elements are kept at bay.
The Morcha workers should maintain safe distance from such people and involve those from the grassroot level in their work.
Asked to comment on the attack on Biharis in Mumbai over the years, Hazare said he condemned all the incidents and had never supported the anti-Bihari campaign.
Bihar was chosen to launch the 'Janatantra Morcha' as it is the land of knowledge and wisdom since ancient times, he added.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood curvaceous beauty Huma Qureshi turned 30-year-old on 28 July, 2016. Here are som
- Sidharth, Katrina's 'Kala Chashma' a hit on YouTube
- Signed 'Hera Pheri' 3 last year, still clueless when it'll begin: Ankita Shorey
- Konkona released 'A Death In The Gunj' trailer
- Big B celebrates 43 years of 'Abhimaan'
- Kriti, Sushant excited for last schedule of 'Raabta'
- Vidya Balan used to wear jhumkas worth Rs 5
- We have forgotten about humanity: Priyanka Chopra
- 'Force 2' a very action heavy film: Tahir Raj Bhasin
An international team of scientists has identified a rare new species of beaked whale that
Domestic electronics company Micromax has announced a new laptop series Micromax Ignite an