- 11-year-old attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga in 10 daysSindhu, Sakshi, Dipa, Jitu get Khel RatnasRemembering 'King Of Pop' on his 58th B'daykareena kapoor khan 'sexy' pregnancy photos.'Rock On!!' clocks eight years, makers look forward to sequelWhat is notorious Savita Bhabhi doing in Baar Baar Dekho?I put in an effort to look presentable: Ranbir KapoorJennifer Aniston credits father for her flawless skinWill Smith joins Akshay Kumar's partyShahid Kapoor takes his baby daughter home
Pramod Patni of Life Insurance Corporation of India beat off stiff competiton from Puran S
Indo-Pak DGMOs agree not to escalate tension along LoC Last Updated : 17 Jan 2013 10:46:38 AM IST File Photo
Top military commanders of India and Pakistan agreed not to allow escalation of tensions along LoC with the Pakistan Army asking its troops to observe ceasefire strictly and exercise restraint.
The ways to defuse the tension on the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir, which was triggerred by the brutal killing of two Indian soldiers by the Pakistan Army, were discussed during a telephonic conversation between the Director Generals of Military Operations (DGMOs) of the two sides.
The Army here said the talks lasted for ten minutes starting 10 AM and during this there was also an understanding not to allow the situation to escalate.
Pakistan Army DGMO conveyed that orders have been passed to troops to strictly observe the ceasefire and exercise restraint, the Army Headquarters said.
Meanwhile, in Islamabad, the state-run Pakistan Radio claimed the country's DGMO lodged a strong protest with his Indian counterpart over killing of a Pakistani soldier.
Earlier in the day, Army chief Gen Bikram Singh rejected Pakistani allegations that Indian troops had crossed the LoC and indulged in unprovoked firing, saying any casualty onthe other side may have been due to retaliatory firing.
"Our jawans don't cross LoC. We honour human rights. We fire in retaliation when provoked," he said in Khairiar in Uttar Pradesh after meeting the family of Lance Naik Hemraj who was beheaded by Pakistani soldiers in a cross-LoC attack in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir on January 8.
Responding to the Pakistani charge that one of its soldiers was killed in "unprovoked firing" along the LoC, the Army chief said it may have happened during cross-firing.
"These are normal activities that take place at the LoC. We have retaliated in response to cross-firing," he said.
Replying to questions, Singh said "the relationship (between the two countries) is got to be seen on what has been going on at the border".
The Pakistan Army had alleged Indian troops had violated the ceasefire along the LoC late last night and "carried out unprovoked firing" in Hotspring and Jandrot sectors.
On the possibility of getting back the head of Hemraj, which was taken away by Pakistani soldiers, the Army chief said efforts are being made to get it back.
Singh, however, refused to respond to Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar's statement that the Indian Army chief's comments were "provocative", saying he was yet to read the statement.
He met the family of Hemraj and offered his condolences. He assured them that all their requirements will be met.
Meanwhile, the three Services chiefs met in the evening to discuss issues including the construction of a national war memorial at India Gate and the setting up of a national defence university at Gurgaon near here.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The launch of "Bapu sada kehnda", a new music single on homosexuality, has marked the fora
- Sonakshi to act with family only with right script
- Remembering 'King Of Pop' on his 58th B'day
- Amy Jackson to sing in Punjabi, reveals Manj Musik
- Saif Ali Khan to be face of 'Supercars Megabuild'
- kareena kapoor khan 'sexy' pregnancy photos.
- Om Puri in Pakistan to promote film
- 'Rock On!!' clocks eight years, makers look forward to sequel
- What is notorious Savita Bhabhi doing in Baar Baar Dekho?
An Indonesian man is set to hold the title of world's oldest man at 145 years, authorities
Chinese internet and technology conglomerate LeEco on Monday announced some unique offers