- People stop taking calls if you deliver a flop: Abhishek BachchanChinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, supportAkshay had a ball shooting cameo for 'Dishoom'Iulia Vantur celebrated birthday with Salman KhanICW 2016: Rohit Bal adds Russian touch to India fashionB-Town hails Salman's acquittal in poaching casesKangana turns Mughal empress for at the FDCI India Couture Week 2016Why not: Kangana on getting married more than once'Madaari': A heartbreaking wake-up callVijay Raaz did 'Mission Tiger' for free
Wrestler Narsingh Yadav's provisional suspension from the Rio Olympic squad has opened the
Intense cold wave grips North India, death toll rises to 140 Last Updated : 06 Jan 2013 08:11:04 AM IST File photo
The entire North India remained in the grip of intense cold waves which claimed 11 more lives in Uttar Pradesh, taking the death toll this winter to 140.
Delhi continued to shiver at a minimum of 2.9 degrees, four notches below normal, whereas the maximum temperature in the city plummeted by eight degrees below normal to settle at 12.6 degrees.
The Met department forecasts a foggy morning for Sunday.
In Uttar Pradesh, officials said while six persons died in Barabanki district due to cold, four died in Sultanpur and one in Etah district.
Muzaffarnagar was the coldest place with a low of 0.3 degrees Celsius, followed by Najibabad in Bijnor district with 1 degree.
Agra recorded a low of 1.1 degrees, Ghazipur 1.5, Lucknow 1.8, Gorakhpur 2.4 and Kanpur 2.7 degrees Celsius.
While maximum day temperatures were below normal by 6 to 13 degree Celsius, mercury plummeted in the night too to settle below normal in most parts of the state.
In Uttarakhand, districts located in the higher reaches including Almora, Tehri Garhwal and Pithoragarh recorded sub-zero temperatures, whereas the plains remained wrapped in thick fog cover.
While Haldwani shivered at 2 degrees Celsius, mercury in Dehradun dropped from yesterday's 4.1 degrees Celsius to settle at 3.6 degrees despite a sunny day.
Cold wave conditions prevailed over entire Kashmir Valley, with Srinagar recording the coldest night of the season at minus 5.4 degrees Celsius.
The fringes of famous Dal Lake and other water bodies in the city got frozen due to fall in the night temperature over the past couple of days, bringing hardships to both the inhabitants and the Shikarawalas.
Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the coldest place in the Valley with a low of minus 9.4 degrees Celsius, a Met spokesperson said.
Pahalgam hill resort in south, which also serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath Yatra, recorded a low of minus 5.4 degrees Celsius.
Rajasthan too remained in the grip of biting cold, where the mercury in the famous hill resort of Mount Abu settled at minus 1 degrees, followed by Fatehpur, which shivered at zero degree Celsius.
Bikaner and Pilani recorded a low of 0.4 degree Celsius while mercury in Karauli and Nagaur plummeted to 0.6 and 0.7 degrees Celsius respectively, the Met department said.
Normal life was affected in Punjab, Haryana and the Union Territory of Chandigarh too, where temperatures fell sharply by up to five notches below normal.
Narnaul in Haryana was the coldest place with a minimum of zero degrees, down by five degrees below normal.
Dense fog and mist descended over the region, affecting the rail, road and air traffic.
While Chandigarh shivered at 4 degrees, down by one degree below normal, Hisar recorded a minimum of 1.5 degrees, dipping by 4 notches below normal.
Meanwhile, Madhya Pradesh also remained in the grip of cold, where Naogaon and Chhatarpur were the coldest places yesterday with a minimum temperature of 0.8 degree Celsius.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
It doesn't matter whose child you are -- if you deliver a flop, filmmakers stop taking you
- Find Malayalam industry to be very progressive: Priya Anand
- Want to do hardcore love story: Raashi
- Watch: 'Kala Chashma' the party groover from 'Baar Baar Dekho'
- Salman Khan's brand to venture into jewellery business next month
- Sony SAB join hands with Twitter to promote new show
- Punjab's teen singer takes caste voice to a new high
- Chinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, support
- Akshay had a ball shooting cameo for 'Dishoom'
At 86, Dakshayani shows no signs of ageing and looks absolutely fit as she gets all set to
Domestic electronics company Micromax has announced a new laptop series Micromax Ignite an