- 'Bang Bang' movie stillsOMG! Aamir to go nude for 'PK' posterAkshay Kumar praises Salman after Shilpa Shetty\'s husband dissesOMG!! Salman Khan behind ending Kapil Sharma YashRaj dreamWhy Virat blushed at Anushka\'s nameWhat happened between Ranbir, DeepikaPics: Ranbir Kapoor wants to wed girlfriend Katrina Kaif soonPreity Zinta accuses Ness Wadia of throwing cigarette at her faceWho is the sexiest among Salman Khan\'s girls?Ranbir, Katrina and Ranveer, Deepika are double dating in France?
Indian cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar is set to play a "special" part in the opening cere
Gujarat govt to implement Supreme Court verdict on lokayukta soon Last Updated : 03 Jan 2013 12:30:09 PM IST File Photo
Gujarat government on Wednesday said it would soon implement the verdict of the Supreme Court upholding the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as lokayukta.
The judgement, which was a setback to the Narendra Modi government, was welcomed by Congress and social activists which said it was a victory of constitutional governance and the rule of law over the "arrogance of power."
Justice Mehta on his part said the state government's attitude will not be a challenge in handling his responsibilities.
"I don't think Modi government's attitude will be a challenge for lokayukta," Mehta said in reply to a query by mediapersons on government's alleged indifferent attitude over appointment of lokayukta in Gujarat.
"We will soon implement the Supreme Court judgement on lokayukta," Gujarat law minister Bhupindersinh Chudasama told reporters in Ahmedabad.
Chudasama also sought to derive some comfort from the judgement, saying, "The Supreme Court has partially accepted Gujarat government's contention that Governor has to act as per the advice of the Council of Ministers."
The Gujarat government and the governor were at loggerheads on the lokayukta appointment issue. In an unprecedented move, Kamla Beniwal appointed Justice Mehta as lokayukta in August 2011, by-passing the Narendra Modi-led BJP government triggering a legal battle. The lokayukta post has remained vacant for eight years.
Congress and NGOs in Gujarat while welcoming the judgement said it will expose the state government's alleged corrupt practices.
"We welcome the decision. The governor's decision to appoint lokayukta was legal and within her constitutional rights ... Better late than never ..." Former Congress legislature party (CLP) leader Shaktisinh Gohil told. Gohil accused the state government of using delaying tactics.
Targetting BJP, Union information and broadcasting minister Manish Tewari said it has never shied away from "crying hoarse" on issues of alleged discretion and corruption across the country but was "shy of even appointing a lokayukta when its comes to its own backyard".
BJP state spokesperson Vijay Rupani said, "Let us get a copy of the Supreme Court verdict. We will study it and then comment."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Here are some stills from Hrithik Roshan, Katrina Kaif starrer 'Bang Bang'.
- OMG! Aamir to go nude for 'PK' poster
- Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania heads towards 70 crore mark
- 'Bang Bang' teaser released: Watch now
- Watch Sonam Kapoor's real avtaar in 'Khoobsurat'
- Alia Bhatt's prayers got answered
- Akshay Kumar praises Salman after Shilpa Shetty's husband disses
- OMG!! Salman Khan behind ending Kapil Sharma YashRaj dream
- Why Virat blushed at Anushka's name
The Zoology department of Jawaharlal Nehru College (JNC) at Pasighat in East Siang distric
LG Electronics has launched its new flagship smartphone LG G3.