- Emraan gifts 'Azhar' first look to Azharuddin on b'dayKatrina offers prayers at Ajmer dargahVarun Dhawan in Sushant-Kriti starrerWatch Out: Salman Khan sans moustache in 'Sultan'Chocolate Day Wallpapers and Facebook imagesPics: Akshay Kumar's sister Alka gets marriedTips for the perfect V-Day dateFirst Look of erotic sex thriller 'Single X'Tamannaah nervous to romance with PrabhuPropose Day Wallpapers and Facebook images
Star player Joshna Chinappa clinched the gold in women's individual squash after beating M
Setback for Narendra Modi govt, SC upholds appointment of Lokayukta Last Updated : 02 Jan 2013 01:18:12 PM IST Setback for Narendra Modi govt, SC upholds appointment of Lokayukta
In a huge setback for Narendra Modi-led Gujarat government, the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as Gujarat's Lokayukta.
The apex court dismissed Gujarat government's plea challenging Governor Kamla Beniwal's decision to appoint Mehta without consulting it.
A bench of justices B S Chauhan and F M Ibrahim Kalifulla dismissed the Gujarat government's plea that the appointment was illegal as it was done without consulting it. The bench said that the Governor is bound to act under the advice of the Council of Ministers, but the appointment of Justice Mehta is right as it was done in consultation with the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court.
The apex court said that Justice Mehta can go ahead with his work as Lokayukta.
The Governor had on August 25, 2011 appointed Justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta, which had been lying vacant for the last eight years.
The Gujarat government had moved the apex court against the January 18, 2012 order of the Gujarat High Court upholding the Governor's decision. The High Court's verdict had been delivered by Justice V M Sahai after a division bench gave a split decision on the legitimacy of the Governor's action in appointing Justice Mehta, a retired judge of the Gujarat High Court, as
The division bench of the High Court had given the split verdict on the appointment issue on October 11, 2011. While Justice Akil Kureshi had upheld the decision of the Governor, Justice Sonia Gokani had quashed the warrant of appointment terming it to be unconstitutional.
Challenging the High Court's order in the Supreme Court,the state government had contended that the personal discretion exercised by the Governor in unilaterally issuing the warrant of appointment of Lokayukta was "unwarranted".Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actor Emraan Hashmi presented the first look of "Azhar" to cricketer Mohammad Az
- Katrina offers prayers at Ajmer dargah
- Nawazuddin to star in Sohail Khan's next
- Varun Dhawan in Sushant-Kriti starrer
- Watch Out: Salman Khan sans moustache in 'Sultan'
- Pics: Akshay Kumar's sister Alka gets married
- First Look of erotic sex thriller 'Single X'
- Which 'Fitoor' is going in Katrina Kaif's mind?
- Tamannaah nervous to romance with Prabhu
A woman gave birth to quadruplets at a private nursing home here today, doctors attending
Taiwanese manufacturer HTC on Friday launched a new 4G-enabled smartphone, called the Desi