- Sunil Grover shoots for his first come-back episodeDogs have feelings too!Akshay records song liveWhat makes Honda Mobilio a better choice!Pics : Spectacular opening ceremony of 2014 CWGKareena angry with DeepikaWedding bells in Kareena-Saif familyTop ten kisses in Hindi filmsWhen eternal glamor queen Rekha posed naked and more...In Pics: Bollywood\'s naughty covergirls 2014
The master batsman and leading run-scorer in test history presented her with a car when s
Setback for Narendra Modi govt, SC upholds appointment of Lokayukta Last Updated : 02 Jan 2013 01:18:12 PM IST Setback for Narendra Modi govt, SC upholds appointment of Lokayukta
In a huge setback for Narendra Modi-led Gujarat government, the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as Gujarat's Lokayukta.
The apex court dismissed Gujarat government's plea challenging Governor Kamla Beniwal's decision to appoint Mehta without consulting it.
A bench of justices B S Chauhan and F M Ibrahim Kalifulla dismissed the Gujarat government's plea that the appointment was illegal as it was done without consulting it. The bench said that the Governor is bound to act under the advice of the Council of Ministers, but the appointment of Justice Mehta is right as it was done in consultation with the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court.
The apex court said that Justice Mehta can go ahead with his work as Lokayukta.
The Governor had on August 25, 2011 appointed Justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta, which had been lying vacant for the last eight years.
The Gujarat government had moved the apex court against the January 18, 2012 order of the Gujarat High Court upholding the Governor's decision. The High Court's verdict had been delivered by Justice V M Sahai after a division bench gave a split decision on the legitimacy of the Governor's action in appointing Justice Mehta, a retired judge of the Gujarat High Court, as
The division bench of the High Court had given the split verdict on the appointment issue on October 11, 2011. While Justice Akil Kureshi had upheld the decision of the Governor, Justice Sonia Gokani had quashed the warrant of appointment terming it to be unconstitutional.
Challenging the High Court's order in the Supreme Court,the state government had contended that the personal discretion exercised by the Governor in unilaterally issuing the warrant of appointment of Lokayukta was "unwarranted".
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Salman Khan's fans cannot get enough of him.
- Watch leaked video of Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone
- Varun Dhawan lands in jail
- Rani shoots video with police woman
- Sunil Grover shoots for his first come-back episode
- Watch : Bang Bang teaser as it gets over 2.3 mn views in 24 hours
- Akshay records song live
- Priyanka Chopra's bald avatar in Mary Kom
- Madhur Bhandarkar starts shooting 'Calender Girls'
According to a new study that found dogs can also get possessive when it comes to the love
Handset maker Oplus Technologies has launched its smartphone, XonPhone 5 in the Indian mar