- ‘You can never win from media’IIFA:Sonakshi Sinha stuns everyone with her new lookMithun Chakroborty a Naxalite?OMG! Arjun Kapoor wants to marry Ranveer when the law changesMadhuri Dixit gets legal notice for asking people to eat MaggiDharmendra is fit and fine: Esha DeolDance-based films are a necessity: HrithikSee Abram first photoshootOmg! Deepika did not invite Amitabh bachchan to piku success party.Is Kangana making Alia, Deepika and Priyanka insured?
US Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said he is joining the bid to oust embattled F
Setback for Narendra Modi govt, SC upholds appointment of Lokayukta Last Updated : 02 Jan 2013 01:18:12 PM IST Setback for Narendra Modi govt, SC upholds appointment of Lokayukta
In a huge setback for Narendra Modi-led Gujarat government, the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as Gujarat's Lokayukta.
The apex court dismissed Gujarat government's plea challenging Governor Kamla Beniwal's decision to appoint Mehta without consulting it.
A bench of justices B S Chauhan and F M Ibrahim Kalifulla dismissed the Gujarat government's plea that the appointment was illegal as it was done without consulting it. The bench said that the Governor is bound to act under the advice of the Council of Ministers, but the appointment of Justice Mehta is right as it was done in consultation with the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court.
The apex court said that Justice Mehta can go ahead with his work as Lokayukta.
The Governor had on August 25, 2011 appointed Justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta, which had been lying vacant for the last eight years.
The Gujarat government had moved the apex court against the January 18, 2012 order of the Gujarat High Court upholding the Governor's decision. The High Court's verdict had been delivered by Justice V M Sahai after a division bench gave a split decision on the legitimacy of the Governor's action in appointing Justice Mehta, a retired judge of the Gujarat High Court, as
The division bench of the High Court had given the split verdict on the appointment issue on October 11, 2011. While Justice Akil Kureshi had upheld the decision of the Governor, Justice Sonia Gokani had quashed the warrant of appointment terming it to be unconstitutional.
Challenging the High Court's order in the Supreme Court,the state government had contended that the personal discretion exercised by the Governor in unilaterally issuing the warrant of appointment of Lokayukta was "unwarranted".
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who has had thousands of media interactions over his
- IIFA:Sonakshi Sinha stuns everyone with her new look
- Mithun Chakroborty a Naxalite?
- OMG! Arjun Kapoor wants to marry Ranveer when the law changes
- 'White Men Can't Jump' star Reynaldo Rey dies
- Madhuri Dixit gets legal notice for asking people to eat Maggi
- Dharmendra is fit and fine: Esha Deol
- Dance-based films are a necessity: Hrithik
- See Abram first photoshoot
Saudi Arabia is planning to build the world's largest hotel with 10,000 rooms at a whoppin
Announcing its India foray, Chinese handset maker Coolpad today said it will set up an ass