- Pics: B-Town celebrates P.V. Sindhu's Olympic win'Happy Bhag Jayegi': A light-hearted, feel-good filmCelebrities hail Sakshi Malik's Olympic winPink is not a film about rape, says Amitabh BachchanOn Rakhi, TV actors recount memories with 'partners in crime'B-Town celebs wish Navroz Mubarak to ParsisBritish-era bunker unearthed in Raj BhavanLeaked: Sex Scenes from award winning film 'Parched'Entertainment Being an actress, I can be anybody: Priyanka ChopraCheck out Salman's 'Tubelight' first look
With India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, managing to win only two medals in the j
Sonia, PM promise speedy justice in Delhi Gangrape case Last Updated : 28 Dec 2012 02:08:00 PM IST Gangrape case: Sonia, PM say the guilty will not be spared
On the occasion of 127th Foundation day of Indian National Congress,party chief Sonia Gandhi on Friday stressed that no time should be lost in bringing the perpetrators of the barbaric gangrape to justice while Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the guilty will not be spared.
Addressing the media on the sidelines of the 127th Foundation Day of Congress at AICC headquarters , both Gandhi and Singh said they shared the anguish and the anger of the country over the December 16 incident.
Gandhi, who usually extends New Year wishes on this occasion skipped doing so, saying, "Our thoughts are with the young woman, who is fighting for her life after the barbarous attack on her.
"And our only wish today is that she recovers and that comes back to us and that no time is lost in bringing the perpetrators of such barbarous act to justice," Gandhi said in a voice choked with emotions after hoisting the party flag at 24 Akbar Road.
The Prime Minister, who stood by her side, gave the asssurance that "our government is committed to bringing the guilty to justice as soon as possible."
A few days after he was widely criticised for his speech over the issue, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today assured the nation that the government was committed to brining the perpetrators of the brutal Delhi gangrape case to justice.
“We share the anguish and anger of the country over this heinous crime. Our prayers with the brave young girl,” Singh said.
Gandhi also held a meeting at the party headquarters with Singh, senior ministers and leaders including Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit,where the issue is learnt to have come up.
Rahul Gandhi was not present during programme. Shinde was seen talking to Dikshit for long during the ceremony. The gangrape issue was earlier raised prominently at the Congress Core Group meeting chaired by Gandhi and attended by the Prime Minister on Tuesday during which the Congress President is learnt to have said that there is a need for police to address the issue with greater sensitivity.
During the meeting, the Home Minister had given a detailed briefing of the steps being taken by the government to enhance security in the city after the incident as well as the action taken so far in the gangrape case.
The 23-year-old gang-rape victim, battling for life at Safdarjung Hospti al where she was admitted on December 16,was shifted to the super specialty Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore on December The victim was gangraped and brutally assaulted in a
moving bus and thrown out in south Delhi.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Singer Palak Muchhal broke down while recording a song titled “Lori” for Mahesh Bhatt'
- Would love to go out-of-the-box, says Abhay Deol
- While kissing in A Flying Jat,Jacqualine-Tiger refused to hear cut
- Jackie Chan is Renny Harlin's icon
- 'Freaky Ali' team to launch menswear label in Dubai
- Taapsee, Neeraj Pandey team up for 'Meera'
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta
- 'Top Cat' actor, Marvin Kaplan dead
- Shahid-Meera to announce good news soon
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
South Korean electronics conglomerate LG on Friday launched a new X Cam smartphone in Indi
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- Microsoft acquires Genee to accelerate intelligent experiences in Office 365
- Gionee launches selfie-focussed smartphone in India
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Huawei P9 with dual-lens camera launched in India at Rs 39,999