- OMG, Salman\'s ex flame turns a vampPics: Salman Khan dances with ex girlfriend Katrina Kaif's sister IsabelIndia-Japan relations enter new eraVideo: Sonam Kapoor is scorching hot in Vogue September issue 2014Birthday girl Padma Lakshmi’s hot picsSuperstars Akshay and Aamir have contrasting work ethicsNude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, Kim K, Kelly Brook, Kate Upton leakedPICS: Oldest woman loves chocolates, sleeps for days!Priyanka Chopra can pack a punchMeet Bhandarkar’s Calendar Girl Akanksha
The fastest man on earth, Usain Bolt, is all set to make his date with India by involvin
Govt should announce date for hanging Afzal Guru: BJP Last Updated : 13 Dec 2012 01:00:53 PM IST File Photo
On the eleventh anniversary of Parliament attack, BJP on Thursday said the government should announce the date for hanging convict Afzal Guru itself to pay "real tribute" to the martyrs of the strike.
"Real tribute would be only if the Home Minister assures the House today that we have paid tributes to the martyrs but their families and country will get relief only when he (Guru) would be hanged.
"If they fix a date (for hanging Guru) and announce it today, this would be the real tribute to these martyrs," the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said inside Parliament House complex.
She was talking to reporters soon after paying homage to the nine martyrs of the 2001 Parliament attack.
Swaraj said every year the country pays homage to these martyrs. "But one question is still unanswered that the attacker who has been twice or thrice sentenced to death by the Supreme Court, why has he not been hanged so far?"
She said after the hanging of 26/11 Mumbai terror convict Ajmal Kasab, "hope has increased that the government will show courage to do what it has not done so far."
Minister of State for Home R P N Singh criticised Swaraj for making the demand, saying the occasion should not be politicised.
"We have just paid tributes to those martyrs. I think it is extremly unfortunate that the moment we get away from there, we get into politics... I think to politicise this thing on every December 13, is not paying real homage to martyrs of this country," he said.
Singh said matters related to hanging convicts are not dealt by Parliament and are handled by the courts.
"There is a process that has been explained by Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde. He has said the file is lying with him and he will look at it and make notings after the Parliament session," he said.
Commute Afzal Guru’s death sentence to life imprisonment: Beni
On the other hand, Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma advocated that Afzal Guru’s death sentence should be commuted to life imprisonment.
He accused BJP of playing communal politics by demanding execution of Guru.
Earlier, MPs paid tributes to the deadliest attack on Indian Parliament on December 13, 2001.
Afzal Guru was sentenced to death on December 18, 2002, by a trial court, which was upheld by the Delhi High Court on October 29, 2003.
His appeal was rejected by the Supreme Court on August 4, 2005. His mercy plea is pending and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has said he will study the file after Parliament's winter session ends on December 22.
On 13th December 2001, five gunmen infiltrated the Parliament House with Home Ministry and Parliament labels.
The five gunmen, believed to be from Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group, entered the Parliament complex at 11:30 am. They opened incessant firing before entering the Parliament building after being challenged by the security guards. All five gunmen died on the spot. Several security men died during the firing session while several others got seriously injured.
Meanwhile, the families of martyrs have appealed to the government to carry out death sentence on Afzal Guru, jailed for his role as one of the masterminds in the conspiracy.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Popular TV series 'Game of Thrones' has finally got the green light from the Croatian film
- OMG, Salman's ex flame turns a vamp
- Pics: Salman Khan dances with ex girlfriend Katrina Kaif's sister Isabel
- Motion poster of Rajinikanth starrer Lingaa revealed
- Video: Sonam Kapoor is scorching hot in Vogue September issue 2014
- Amitabh Bachchan hits 10-million milestone on Twitter
- Birthday girl Padma Lakshmi’s hot pics
- Superstars Akshay and Aamir have contrasting work ethics
- Nude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, Kim K, Kelly Brook, Kate Upton leaked
Oldest human on earth, a Mexican woman, celebrated her 127th birthday on Sunday.
With rumors of an imminent launch early next month, let's show you how the iPhone 6 will l