- Sheenojis: Charlie Sheen releases personalised emojisHot tips to stay fit and healthyReview; 'The Angry Birds Movie'Veerappan movie review'Phobia' movie reviewReview: 'Waiting' Actors rule the roostSonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film FestivalKaran Johar celebrates birthday with star kidsWhen Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'Wear the right shoe for the right occasion!
Being excited for your favourite football team, rooting for them and suffering vicariously
Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress in 2014 Lok Sabha elections Last Updated : 11 Dec 2012 09:52:03 AM IST Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress in 2014 Lok Sabha elections
He aslso added that a decision on the party's prime ministerial candidate will only be taken after the next national election.
This announcement further indicates that Rahul Gandhi would be the Congress candidate for prime minister if the ruling coalition wins a third consecutive term in office.
On the other hand the main opposition party the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is witnessing internal differences had declined to name a prime ministerial candidate for the general election due in 2014.
When asked to elaborate the role, Chacko said, "That is very clear. He will lead the election campaign in 2014. Beyond that will be too much of a forecast." To a specific question whether Gandhi will be projected as the prime ministerial candidate in the polls, he said that issue will come up after the elections and it was for party MPs to decide.
Gandhi has already been declared head of the Congress election coordination panel, signaling he would lead the party in 2014. However, what the bigger responsibility could be is still not clear.
Asked about the roles of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chacko said: “Sonia Gandhi is the party president now, she will be the patron. She will be the supreme leader of the party.”
He added: “Dr Manmohan Singh will be at the helm till 2014... He is the Prime Minister till 2014.”
Responding to questions, Chacko said Rahul agreed to assume more responsibilities after “overwhelming” demands by partymen.
"The party is overwhelmingly in favour of Rahul Gandhi taking a larger responsibility. He was not very willing. Now he has agreed to it. He will lead UPA's election campaign for 2014," he said.
Chacko made it clear that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is expected to complete his term in 2014. "This has no relation. He is the prime minister. This government will continue till 2014. He is the prime minister till 2014," Chacko said.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actor Riteish Deshmukh and wife actress Genelia D'Souza blessed with a baby boy
- Appreciation for 'Thithi' nothing short of miracle: Raam Reddy
- Would love to work with Vidya, Aditya: Kunaal Roy Kapur
- Subhash Ghai lauds Kapil Sharma for not disrespecting icons
- Sonam shocked with 'overreaction' over Tanmay Bhat's controversial video
- Ray would have used computers differently for illustrations
- 'Animation not yet considered storytelling medium'
- Katy Perry's Twitter account hacked
- Home for 10 days, Priyanka Chopra to decide on next Hindi films
We imagine the Sun as a giant burning furnace that brings sunlight to us but NASA's Solar
E-cigarette use in Britain almost doubled in two years
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Consumer electronics and home appliances major Videocon on Tuesday launched 4G-enabled Kry