- All you want to know about Bhajji's weddingSidharth, Katrina celebrate \'Baar Baar Dekho\' wrapFinal list of \'Bigg Boss 9\' inmatesActress who were physically assaultedWhen Big B was chased by a tiger for 4 kmKarisma\'s ex hubby to marry his ex girlfriendWhat a comeback Aishwarya!Aditi Rao Hydri goes toplessSridevi's daughter Khushi kisses Jack GilinskyJab Kareena met Mira and Shahid met Saif
The Indian hockey team had a disappointing start to their four-Test series as they suffere
Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress in 2014 Lok Sabha elections Last Updated : 11 Dec 2012 09:52:03 AM IST Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress in 2014 Lok Sabha elections
He aslso added that a decision on the party's prime ministerial candidate will only be taken after the next national election.
This announcement further indicates that Rahul Gandhi would be the Congress candidate for prime minister if the ruling coalition wins a third consecutive term in office.
On the other hand the main opposition party the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is witnessing internal differences had declined to name a prime ministerial candidate for the general election due in 2014.
When asked to elaborate the role, Chacko said, "That is very clear. He will lead the election campaign in 2014. Beyond that will be too much of a forecast." To a specific question whether Gandhi will be projected as the prime ministerial candidate in the polls, he said that issue will come up after the elections and it was for party MPs to decide.
Gandhi has already been declared head of the Congress election coordination panel, signaling he would lead the party in 2014. However, what the bigger responsibility could be is still not clear.
Asked about the roles of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chacko said: “Sonia Gandhi is the party president now, she will be the patron. She will be the supreme leader of the party.”
He added: “Dr Manmohan Singh will be at the helm till 2014... He is the Prime Minister till 2014.”
Responding to questions, Chacko said Rahul agreed to assume more responsibilities after “overwhelming” demands by partymen.
"The party is overwhelmingly in favour of Rahul Gandhi taking a larger responsibility. He was not very willing. Now he has agreed to it. He will lead UPA's election campaign for 2014," he said.
Chacko made it clear that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is expected to complete his term in 2014. "This has no relation. He is the prime minister. This government will continue till 2014. He is the prime minister till 2014," Chacko said.
Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood newbie Athiya Shetty, will walk the ramp for designers Rohit Gandhi and Rahul Kh
- Sidharth, Katrina celebrate 'Baar Baar Dekho' wrap
- Final list of 'Bigg Boss 9' inmates
- Watch Salman Khan's 'Prem Leela' in 'PRDP'
- Konkona elated with 'Talvar' success
- Actress who were physically assaulted
- When Big B was chased by a tiger for 4 km
- Karisma's ex hubby to marry his ex girlfriend
- What a comeback Aishwarya!
A dog in the US had to be rescued after it accidentally knocked its owner's idling truck i
Microsoft launched LUMIA 640 LTE 4G device priced at Rs 17,399 with an aim to widen its po