- Harbhajan Singh blessed with baby girlExcited, nervous about 'Raees': Mahira KhanTen unknown facts about Huma QureshiPoonam Pandey all set with her new video for her fansBig B celebrates 43 years of 'Abhimaan'Kriti, Sushant excited for last schedule of 'Raabta'Vidya Balan used to wear jhumkas worth Rs 5We have forgotten about humanity: Priyanka ChopraPeople stop taking calls if you deliver a flop: Abhishek BachchanChinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, support
Amandeep Drall carded five under 67 in the second round to grab the lead in the 11th leg o
Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress in 2014 Lok Sabha elections Last Updated : 11 Dec 2012 09:52:03 AM IST Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress in 2014 Lok Sabha elections
He aslso added that a decision on the party's prime ministerial candidate will only be taken after the next national election.
This announcement further indicates that Rahul Gandhi would be the Congress candidate for prime minister if the ruling coalition wins a third consecutive term in office.
On the other hand the main opposition party the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is witnessing internal differences had declined to name a prime ministerial candidate for the general election due in 2014.
When asked to elaborate the role, Chacko said, "That is very clear. He will lead the election campaign in 2014. Beyond that will be too much of a forecast." To a specific question whether Gandhi will be projected as the prime ministerial candidate in the polls, he said that issue will come up after the elections and it was for party MPs to decide.
Gandhi has already been declared head of the Congress election coordination panel, signaling he would lead the party in 2014. However, what the bigger responsibility could be is still not clear.
Asked about the roles of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chacko said: “Sonia Gandhi is the party president now, she will be the patron. She will be the supreme leader of the party.”
He added: “Dr Manmohan Singh will be at the helm till 2014... He is the Prime Minister till 2014.”
Responding to questions, Chacko said Rahul agreed to assume more responsibilities after “overwhelming” demands by partymen.
"The party is overwhelmingly in favour of Rahul Gandhi taking a larger responsibility. He was not very willing. Now he has agreed to it. He will lead UPA's election campaign for 2014," he said.
Chacko made it clear that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is expected to complete his term in 2014. "This has no relation. He is the prime minister. This government will continue till 2014. He is the prime minister till 2014," Chacko said.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Harbhajan Singh and his actress-wife Geeta Basra have been blessed with a baby girl.
- Excited, nervous about 'Raees': Mahira Khan
- I'll be expected to deliver bigger film after 'Sultan': Director
- 'Jagga Jasoos' is a much-awaited film for me: Ranbir Kapoor
- 'The BFG' has critical digital effects: Steven Spielberg
- Combination of hard work, luck helped in industry, says Raftaar
- Ten unknown facts about Huma Qureshi
- Sidharth, Katrina's 'Kala Chashma' a hit on YouTube
- Poonam Pandey all set with her new video for her fans
An international team of scientists has identified a rare new species of beaked whale that
Route Mobile Limited, a messaging and voice API company, on Thursday announced it has acqu