- OMG! Saif caught with pants down, view picsNew Alto K10 to launch next monthParties begin in Rajesh Khanna\'s AashirwaadEkta Kapoor's Box Cricket LeagueWatch Deepika Padukone promoting Happy New YearPICS: Fiat Avventura launched at Rs 5.99 lakhSalman's family ready for Diwali, Arpita's wedding celebrationsAishwarya Rai, Katrina Kaif\'s Diwali looksBollywood bombs, Patakas and phuljharis, view picsSalman cleans Karjat, nominates Aamir for 'Swachh Bharat campaign'
South African prison officials say Oscar Pistorius spent his first night in a single cell
PM favours self regulation by media Last Updated : 16 Nov 2012 02:50:33 PM IST PM favours self regulation by media
"As a country, we believe in complete independence of the media from external control," Singh said in a message on National Press Day on Friday.
"It is true that sometimes irresponsible journalism can have serious consequences for social harmony and public order, which the public authorities have an obligation to maintain, but censorship is no answer," Singh said.
Noting that free and fair media has been an essential pillar of democracy, he said since the days of India's struggle for freedom media has been guiding social change, informing readers of their rights and contributing to the nation-building process by spreading awareness.
"It is for the members of the Fourth Estate themselves to collectively ensure that objectivity is promoted and sensationalism is curbed. It is for them to introspect how best they can serve our country and society and advance their well being," Singh said.
National Press Day is observed every year on November 16, the day when the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog of the media in 1956.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Why was Saif Ali Khan caught with pants down? Read on to know
- Parties begin in Rajesh Khanna's Aashirwaad
- Ekta Kapoor's Box Cricket League
- Watch Deepika Padukone promoting Happy New Year
- Salman's family ready for Diwali, Arpita's wedding celebrations
- Aishwarya Rai, Katrina Kaif's Diwali looks
- Salman cleans Karjat, nominates Aamir for 'Swachh Bharat campaign'
- SPOTTED: Ranbir, Katrina in Thailand
- Priyanka Chopra will not celebrate Diwali
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country