- South Korean ferry TragedyCricketer Umar Akmal wedding picsShruti Haasan flaunts ample cleavage, view picsBollywood's leading men with new actressesStars at Bombay Velvet wrap-up partySadhna spends time playing cards in clubsRoyals eclipse the SunrisersRevealed: Personal lives of Bollywood kidsHeiress to Reliance empire joins McKinseyPICS : Get to Know Alia Bhatt
David Ferrer produced a major upset at the Monte Carlo Masters as the persistent Spaniard
PM favours self regulation by media Last Updated : 16 Nov 2012 02:50:33 PM IST PM favours self regulation by media
"As a country, we believe in complete independence of the media from external control," Singh said in a message on National Press Day on Friday.
"It is true that sometimes irresponsible journalism can have serious consequences for social harmony and public order, which the public authorities have an obligation to maintain, but censorship is no answer," Singh said.
Noting that free and fair media has been an essential pillar of democracy, he said since the days of India's struggle for freedom media has been guiding social change, informing readers of their rights and contributing to the nation-building process by spreading awareness.
"It is for the members of the Fourth Estate themselves to collectively ensure that objectivity is promoted and sensationalism is curbed. It is for them to introspect how best they can serve our country and society and advance their well being," Singh said.
National Press Day is observed every year on November 16, the day when the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog of the media in 1956.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actor Ajay Devgn had a narrow escape when a fire broke out on the sets of 'Singh
- Ranbir-Katrina's new love nest!
- Shruti Haasan flaunts ample cleavage, view pics
- Bollywood's leading men with new actresses
- 2 States gets bumper opening, collects Rs 10.9 cr
- OMG! Deepika's bodyguards enter ladies loo
- Stars at Bombay Velvet wrap-up party
- 'Game of Thrones' breaks piracy record
- Sadhna spends time playing cards in clubs
The new craze sweeping around the globe is naked yoga in the latest of fitness trends this
Taiwanese technology firm Asus has launched dual SIM tablet Fonepad 7 in India.