- Urvashi did mistake againKatrina Kaif is under no pressureIs Puli a match to Bahubali?Ileana on small breakAlia's dad wants her to encash her popularityNimrat has special feeling for AkshayHas Aishwarya sidelined Irrfan Khan from Jazbaa promotions?Varun Dhawan and Natasha enjoy in MaldivesKnow what were Salman’s life changing tips for Athiya ShettyNeha Dhupia lesser known facts
Reigning world tennis champion Novak Djokovic became a new goodwill ambassador for the UN
PM favours self regulation by media Last Updated : 16 Nov 2012 02:50:33 PM IST PM favours self regulation by media
"As a country, we believe in complete independence of the media from external control," Singh said in a message on National Press Day on Friday.
"It is true that sometimes irresponsible journalism can have serious consequences for social harmony and public order, which the public authorities have an obligation to maintain, but censorship is no answer," Singh said.
Noting that free and fair media has been an essential pillar of democracy, he said since the days of India's struggle for freedom media has been guiding social change, informing readers of their rights and contributing to the nation-building process by spreading awareness.
"It is for the members of the Fourth Estate themselves to collectively ensure that objectivity is promoted and sensationalism is curbed. It is for them to introspect how best they can serve our country and society and advance their well being," Singh said.
National Press Day is observed every year on November 16, the day when the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog of the media in 1956.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
We tell you ten reasons to watch Phantom, a must see this week-end.
- Saif Ali does not want Kareena to suffer
- Why Kapil Sharma was the chosen one for Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon
- Haven't re-shot anything for 'Jagga Jasoos': Katrina Kaif
- 'Phantom' tweet review
- Let’s know about the celebs through their tattoos
- You will make your fathers proud: SRK to Athiya, Sooraj
- No pressure to get married: Gauhar Khan
- I don't like the tag of comedy: Rajpal Yadav
Scientists have discovered that Roman-era Egyptian mummy portraits used the pigment Egypti
Lenovo starts smartphone manufacturing in India.