- Salman to don astronaut look for show promoAll my roles had potential to stereotype me: SwaraKnow more about Neha DhupiaShahid-Mira: Journey from lovers to parentsJacqueline turns showstopper for Rajesh SinghJhanvi-Sara might star with Tiger in SOTY 2Review: Mechanic ResurrectionOMG!!! Ranbir is mocking Katrina's text messages???While kissing in 'A Flying Jat', Jacqualine-Tiger refused to hear cutShahid-Mira to announce good news soon
Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Das Gupta on Saturday welcomed Pri
PM favours self regulation by media Last Updated : 16 Nov 2012 02:50:33 PM IST PM favours self regulation by media
"As a country, we believe in complete independence of the media from external control," Singh said in a message on National Press Day on Friday.
"It is true that sometimes irresponsible journalism can have serious consequences for social harmony and public order, which the public authorities have an obligation to maintain, but censorship is no answer," Singh said.
Noting that free and fair media has been an essential pillar of democracy, he said since the days of India's struggle for freedom media has been guiding social change, informing readers of their rights and contributing to the nation-building process by spreading awareness.
"It is for the members of the Fourth Estate themselves to collectively ensure that objectivity is promoted and sensationalism is curbed. It is for them to introspect how best they can serve our country and society and advance their well being," Singh said.
National Press Day is observed every year on November 16, the day when the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog of the media in 1956.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Shantanu and Nikhil showcased a separate line of menswear and women's wear at the ongoing
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Cara Delevingne goes bottomless to raise awareness about cancer
- Construction worker dies on 'Blade Runner' sequel set
- Don't want quick success: Sayani Gupta
- Nowadays commercial films are cliched: Shoojit Sircar
- Industry has changed, but not my life: Dolly
- Salman to don astronaut look for show promo
- Jaya Prada in UP Film Council with cabinet rank
A 53-year-old woman was killed while descending a 3,000-feet mountain after her husband u
US tech giant Apple is planning to remove the physical Touch ID button below the screen an