- Bipasha shares burnt marksIt will be a snowy Christmas for Ranbir-KatrinaPRDP enters 200 crore clubAll about Dimpy Ganguly's bacheloretteRanveer watched 'Tamasha' with Ranbir, DeepikaEmraan to kiss again on screen in 'Azhar''Dilwale' unveils new songWhy sex in hotel room longer than at homeHrithik Roshan lauds Aamir's response to criticismVideo: Hot uncensored kissing scene of James Bond's Spectre
After a successful season last year, Indian Premier Tennis League (IPTL) founder and star
PM favours self regulation by media Last Updated : 16 Nov 2012 02:50:33 PM IST PM favours self regulation by media
"As a country, we believe in complete independence of the media from external control," Singh said in a message on National Press Day on Friday.
"It is true that sometimes irresponsible journalism can have serious consequences for social harmony and public order, which the public authorities have an obligation to maintain, but censorship is no answer," Singh said.
Noting that free and fair media has been an essential pillar of democracy, he said since the days of India's struggle for freedom media has been guiding social change, informing readers of their rights and contributing to the nation-building process by spreading awareness.
"It is for the members of the Fourth Estate themselves to collectively ensure that objectivity is promoted and sensationalism is curbed. It is for them to introspect how best they can serve our country and society and advance their well being," Singh said.
National Press Day is observed every year on November 16, the day when the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog of the media in 1956.
Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Ten reasons to watch Tamasha
- Bhansali has 'Midas touch': Shreya Ghoshal
- Tough for couples to romance on-screen: Anurag
- Bipasha shares burnt marks
- It will be a snowy Christmas for Ranbir-Katrina
- PRDP enters 200 crore club
- All about Dimpy Ganguly's bachelorette
- Ranveer watched 'Tamasha' with Ranbir, Deepika
- B-town salute the Martyrs of 26/11
Watch a taxi modelling on the ramp,Thailand's contestant will be wearing a tuk-tuk dress
The Power Electronics and Control unit company has developed mobile application "MassPark"