- Beyonce opts for Indian dress againMughal Gardens to open on Friday'Jism 3' most boldest erotic thrillerRakhi Sawant wants to become a porn star nowDeepika will get intimate with Vin DieselSalman Khan wants children without marriage!Teddy Day 2016 wallpaper, images, greetingsVarun Dhawan to star in 'Judwaa 2'Salman goes clean-shaven in new look of 'Sultan'Preity quashes marriage report again
Nestle has terminated a sponsorship programme with world athletics' governing body (IAAF)
PM favours self regulation by media Last Updated : 16 Nov 2012 02:50:33 PM IST PM favours self regulation by media
"As a country, we believe in complete independence of the media from external control," Singh said in a message on National Press Day on Friday.
"It is true that sometimes irresponsible journalism can have serious consequences for social harmony and public order, which the public authorities have an obligation to maintain, but censorship is no answer," Singh said.
Noting that free and fair media has been an essential pillar of democracy, he said since the days of India's struggle for freedom media has been guiding social change, informing readers of their rights and contributing to the nation-building process by spreading awareness.
"It is for the members of the Fourth Estate themselves to collectively ensure that objectivity is promoted and sensationalism is curbed. It is for them to introspect how best they can serve our country and society and advance their well being," Singh said.
National Press Day is observed every year on November 16, the day when the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog of the media in 1956.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
When we talk about Valentine's day, how can we forget our most romantic Bollywood couples?
- Mallika Sherawat clicks Power selfie with Obama
- Shraddha Kapoor to croon for 'Baaghi
- What do Bollywood celebs fear?
- Bollywood film "Neerja" banned in Pakistan
- Rakesh Roshan reserved the release date for Hrithik Roshan's Kaabil
- Katrina bored with 'hardworking' tag, wants poetic adjectives
- 'Kapoor and Sons' special to all of us: Karan Johar
- Hollywood not everybody's cup of tea: Arjun Kapoor
Kristina Pimenova,a 10-year-old Russian girl, has sparked controversy by landing a top mo
Panasonic launches P66 Mega smartphone at Rs. 7,990 in New Delhi on Tuesday.