- Real hero of India Dr Kalam is no moreJacqueline celebrates one year of 'KICK'Neha issues statement on Twitter postBollywood's smoking divasNigar Khan wedding albumAfter terror attacks in Punjab Delhi, UP put on alertSix new species of spiders found againWhy are Katrina and Ranbir giving contradictory statements on their marriage?Revealed: Besides SRK and Kajol Ajay Devgn a part of Dilwale10 Unknown facts about Kriti Sanon
Beijing and Almaty today embarked on a frantic final lobbying campaign for the 2022 Winter
JPC meet: BJP members end boycott , rake up demand for calling PM Last Updated : 08 Nov 2012 03:28:32 PM IST JPC meet: BJP members end boycott , rake up demand for calling PM
BJP members of the JPC on the 2G spectrum allocation issue on Thursday ended their boycott of the panel by attending its meeting in which they again raked up their demand for calling Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram as witnesses.
As soon as today's proceedings began, BJP members led by Yashwant Sinha demanded that the PM and Chidambaram be called against the backdrop of the deposition by former Cabinet secretary K M Chandrasekhar.
Chandrasekhar had told the Joint Parliamentary Committee that he had written to the Prime Minister suggesting an increase in the license fee for 2G spectrum so that the government could earn an additional Rs 35,000 Crore.
BJP members claimed after the meeting that JPC chairman P C Chacko was open to the suggestion of holding a special meeting to discuss the list of witnesses.
It is learnt that some members like DMK's T Siva also demanded that former telecom minister A Raja be called as a witness.
There were some heated exchange of words when a Congress member demanded calling former Prime Minister Atal Bihari
Vajpayee as a witness. BJP members have been boycotting the JPC proceedings for nearly two months. Even before the boycott, they had stormed out of two JPC proceedings accusing its Chairman of behaving in an autocratic manner and charging Congress members with using foul language when they had pressed for summoning the Prime Minister and Finance Minister as witnesses.
They had stayed away from the subsequent two proceedings of the Committee. P
"It is out of the question to call the Prime Minister before the JPC as witness as there is no precedent of calling the Prime Ministers before the JPCs," he told .BJP leaders Yashwant Sinha and Jaswant Singh will be present in the meeting.
The BJP, which has six members on the panel, had stayed away from the last two meetings of the JPC demanding that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Finance Minister P Chidambaram be called to depose before the panel.
On summoning Chidambaram as witness, Chacko said it would be "decided on the basis of consensus". Referring to the allegation of CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta that the Attorney General was not called before the JPC on October 11, Chacko said he was out of the country that day.
Attorney General G E Vahanvati would be appearing before the JPC, he added. He said the extended period of the JPC would expire by December and one more extension would be essential as only 75 per cent work was completed.
The mobile operators association had been called for tomorrow's JPC meeting, Chacko said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Jacqueline Fernandez celebrates one glorious year of 'KICK'.
- Neha issues statement on Twitter post
- Bollywood's smoking divas
- Nigar Khan wedding album
- Late Whitney Houston daughter dies at the age of 22
- Why are Katrina and Ranbir giving contradictory statements on their marriage?
- Revealed: Besides SRK and Kajol Ajay Devgn a part of Dilwale
- HC to hear Salman's appeal against conviction from July 30
- Big B impressed with granddaughter's piano playing skill
Yuri Milner, the Russian billionaire who is funding the USD 100 million search for aliens,
If these images are to be believed, we would be seeing a couple of design innovations that