- Andamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: SurveySteps to buy sunglassesGo the foreign way while munching French friesBaaghi collects 35 crores in opening weekendBipasha shares her 'monkey wedding' picsBig B gets inspiration from fans' love
India's tennis stars Sania Mirza, Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna got their French Open cam
Pawan Kumar Bansal hints at hike in train fares Last Updated : 30 Oct 2012 09:03:29 AM IST Pawan Kumar Bansal hints at hike in train fares
With the Ministry coming into its fold after a gap of 16 years, new Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal gave enough hint of taking up reform including hike in fares which its former ally TMC had strongly opposed.
Bansal said he would work on improving the financial and physical health of the railways."The improvement in services will make way for an increase in fare." With the railways facing financial crunch, the minister is all set to ensure that all services are viable propositions. "The motive is not to commercialise rail services but to make it financially viable. We have to ensure that the vast infrastructure of the railways functions smoothly," he said.
"Fare will not be increased for the sake of increasing fare. If fare is increased, then it will be for providing better services to passengers," Railway Minister Pawan KumarBansal said when asked whether passenger fares will be hiked in the near future.
Though former Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi had proposed fare hike across the board in the 2012-13 rail budget, he was removed from the ministry by TMC chief Mamata Banerjee and fare hike proposals were rolled back barring that of upper class.
Giving ample hint of possible fare hike, Bansal said "the improvement in services will have to be commensurate with the increase in fare."
At present, the railways are facing financial crunch and funds earmarked for many of the ongoing projects are being curtailed.
Justifying the need for a such step, the Railway Minister said "we have to ensure that the vast infrastructure of the railways does not collapse and stop functioning... So, we have to increase fares and assure the public that if there will be any hike, the public will also appreciate it because we are going to improve the services."
However, he did not go into the nitty-gritty of a possible passenger fare hike. "I have just assumed charge...I will discuss the issue threadbare."
The new Minister of State for Railways Adheer Ranjan Chowdhury, who also assumed charge, also favoured a hike in passenger fares.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Director: Anu Menon; Cast: Naseeruddin Shah, Kalki Koechlin, Rajat Kapoor, Arjun Mathur, R
- Sonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film Festival
- Karan Johar celebrates birthday with star kids
- Big B to host only segment of Modi's bash
- Arijit Singh apology to Sultan star Salman Khan, pleading to retain his song; deletes it later
- When Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'
- Stars wish Karan Johar on birthday
- Why Arijit deletes his apology letter to Salman
- Watch: salman Khan film sultan trailer released
The number of people in Britain who have tried e-cigarettes has almost doubled in just two
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
In a bid to heat up the premium flagship smartphone segment, Taiwan-based company HTC on T