- Birthday special: Ranbir Kapoor childhood picsReason why Lata Mangeshkar did not marryGionee S6s smartphone: A delight for selfie loversQuick tips for an organised homeBirthday special: Famous sayings by Yash ChopraTurn to tea tree oil for glowing skinBig B is hopeful, things will change post 'Pink'Priyanka Chopra found it 'weird' to audition for 'Quantico'Famous bold lip-locks of B-town divas we can never forgetBeing a celebrity isn't a piece of cake: Raveena Tandon
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday congratulated Indian medallists at the recently-hel
SGPC honours Gen Vaidya's assassins,sparks controversy Last Updated : 11 Oct 2012 09:31:43 AM IST SGPC honours Gen Vaidya's assassins,sparks controversy
As debate raged over raising of a memorial for those killed during Operation Blue Star in 1984,the SGPC, in a controversial move, honoured family members of the two assassins of General A S Vaidya in the Golden Temple complex.
The kin of Harjinder Singh Jinda and Sukhdev Singh Sukha, who were executed on October nine, 1992, were honoured by the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee at the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs, yesterday.
The SGPC, controlled by the ruling SAD, also hailed the Gen's killers as Sikh martyrs sparking a row even as debate raged over constructing a Blue Star memorial in the holy city. The SGPC organised an Akhand Path at the Akal Takht to mark the 20th execution anniversary of the two assassins. The function to honour the relatives of Sukha and Jinda was presided over by SGPC secretary Dalmegh Singh.
Gen Vaidya was the Chief of Army Staff when Operation Blue Star was launched by the Army to flush out militants, led by Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale, from the Golden Temple. A number of militants, soldiers and pilgrims were killed during the Operation.
Sukha and Jinda had assassinated General Vaidya in 1986 in Pune where he had settled down after his retirement.hey were hanged in 1992 and since '93 the SGPC has been been organising their death anniversary every year on October
nine and honouring their family members.
The SGPC presented shiropas (robes of honour) to Sukha's mother Surjit Kaur and Jinda?s brother Bhupinder Singh on the occasion yesterday.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The MNS on Wednesday demanded the replacement of Pakistani actors Mahira Khan and Fawad Kh
- Big B, others wish Lata Mangeshkar on birthday
- Birthday special: Ranbir Kapoor childhood pics
- Reason why Lata Mangeshkar did not marry
- Bollywood split on MNS ban on Pakistani artistes
- Pakistani actors must condemn attack on Indians: Anupam Kher
- 'Modern Family' to feature transgender child actor
- Herschell Gordon Lewis dies at 87
- When Tanya Sharma turned English teacher for poor
Using state-of-the-art equipment, Australian researchers have managed to solve an 800-yea
Samsung India on Tuesday launched its 4G and VOLTE-enabled smartphone Galaxy On8 with a ho