- \'Diwali\' celebrations in picsSexy Mallika Sherawat celebrating birthdayRanveer hides his bald look under hat in partyTen reasons to watch \'Happy New Year\'Katie Holmes shares beauty tipsHalle Berry launched lingersPics: Bollywood celebrities who attended Aamir Khan\'s diwali partyImages: Happy New Year movie stars dazzle in DubaiSONGS: Manna Dey had a mesmerising voice!PM Modi celebrates Diwali with jawans at Siachen
Sardar Singh will lead a 21-member Indian men’s hockey squad for the four-match Test tou
SGPC honours Gen Vaidya's assassins,sparks controversy Last Updated : 11 Oct 2012 09:31:43 AM IST SGPC honours Gen Vaidya's assassins,sparks controversy
As debate raged over raising of a memorial for those killed during Operation Blue Star in 1984,the SGPC, in a controversial move, honoured family members of the two assassins of General A S Vaidya in the Golden Temple complex.
The kin of Harjinder Singh Jinda and Sukhdev Singh Sukha, who were executed on October nine, 1992, were honoured by the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee at the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs, yesterday.
The SGPC, controlled by the ruling SAD, also hailed the Gen's killers as Sikh martyrs sparking a row even as debate raged over constructing a Blue Star memorial in the holy city. The SGPC organised an Akhand Path at the Akal Takht to mark the 20th execution anniversary of the two assassins. The function to honour the relatives of Sukha and Jinda was presided over by SGPC secretary Dalmegh Singh.
Gen Vaidya was the Chief of Army Staff when Operation Blue Star was launched by the Army to flush out militants, led by Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale, from the Golden Temple. A number of militants, soldiers and pilgrims were killed during the Operation.
Sukha and Jinda had assassinated General Vaidya in 1986 in Pune where he had settled down after his retirement.hey were hanged in 1992 and since '93 the SGPC has been been organising their death anniversary every year on October
nine and honouring their family members.
The SGPC presented shiropas (robes of honour) to Sukha's mother Surjit Kaur and Jinda?s brother Bhupinder Singh on the occasion yesterday.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
A major fire broke out at Klick Nixon Studio, owned by producer Ekta Kapoor, in Sakinaka,
- Sexy Mallika Sherawat celebrating birthday
- Ranveer hides his bald look under hat in party
- Ten reasons to watch 'Happy New Year'
- Elizabeth Hurley enjoying with little man
- Katie Holmes shares beauty tips
- Jennifer Aniston set wedding details
- Katy Perry cancels birthday trip to Egypt?
- Halle Berry launched lingers
Country's first fish hospital to treat abnormalities and diseases in them is set to come u
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country