- 'Nimrat is an international actress'Mahhi loves making friendsFestival of Light Celebrates San Francisco’s Expanding Light Art SceneMercedes AMG GTS Launched in India at Rs 2.4 crore\'Besharam\' Ranbir Kapoor is experimenting with his craft‘Tamasha’ girl Deepika is no more a shy girlShocking: Bigg B is surviving on just 25% of his liverIs Ranbir Kapoor scared of Salman Khan?Varun\'s dinner date with NatashaWedding bells for Preity Zinta!
Track legend P T Usha has shot off a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi protesting aga
Disproportionate assets case:SC denies bail to Jagan Last Updated : 05 Oct 2012 03:22:54 PM IST file photo
YSR Congress leader and Member of Parliament Y S Jaganmohan Reddy will have to be in jail for some more time with the Supreme Court today dismissing his bail plea in the alleged multi-crore disproportionate assets case against him.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai ruled that Jagan can apply for bail only after the CBI completes its investigation in all the seven other cases lodged against him.
"The contours are much larger," the bench observed while refusing to entertain the persistent plea of senior counsel Gopal Subramaniam, who appeared for Jagan. Responding to queries from the bench, the CBI said it would complete the investigation by March 31, 2013. However,it later told the bench that it would try to complete it much more expeditiously.
The apex court passed the order after Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Mohan Parasaran and senior counsel Ashok Bhan appearing for the CBI contended that Jagan cannot be granted bail as investigations were still underway in seven cases against him and letter rogatories have been issued to various countries as the cases have international ramifications.
Responding to queries from the bench, Parasaran said the total amount accumulated by Jagan and his associates, insofaras the four charge sheets have been filed, amounted to over Rs 3000 crore.He submitted it would not be proper to release Jagan at this stage as the case "is a very serious economic offence that is unparallelled. The accused is also known for his political prowess. The saga of investigations is still continuing."
"They are so influential that they can influence the witnesses even while being inside," the ASG said.Parasaran's argument, however, was countered by Subramaniam who said bail was a statutory right and Jagan was entitled to the same as otherwise it would violate his right under article 21 of the Constitution.Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood filmmaker Prakash Jha is currently working on the script of the sequel to his 20
- Priyanka not to promote 'Bajirao Mastani'
- I find the protests poetic: AR Rahman
- Meet Sachin Pilgaonkar's daughter Shriya
- Wedding album of Dayaben aka Disha Vakani
- Aamir provided 'adequate' security: Police
- Sushant-Kriti's first look in Dinesh Vijan's next
- Plea seeks ban on 'Bajirao Mastani'
- Controversies of Aamir Khan
In a gruesome and shocking incident, the head of a baby got separated from its body during
Apple's iPhone 6s series will be available in India from October 16 at a starting price of