- Priyanka Chopra as Mary KomWomen's Day wallpapersCelebs who misuse Twitter for attentionLimca Book of Records honours 25 womenSalman has more value than SRK\'Bhootnath Returns\' actress Usha JadhavThe story of Salman Khan's adopted sister ArpitaPICS: Hair donation driveWhat is cooking between Hrithik KatrinaPHOTOS: When Sunny Leone faces fear
India's top badminton star Saina Nehwal laboured past American Beiwen Zhang in testing thr
Disproportionate assets case:SC denies bail to Jagan Last Updated : 05 Oct 2012 03:22:54 PM IST file photo
YSR Congress leader and Member of Parliament Y S Jaganmohan Reddy will have to be in jail for some more time with the Supreme Court today dismissing his bail plea in the alleged multi-crore disproportionate assets case against him.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai ruled that Jagan can apply for bail only after the CBI completes its investigation in all the seven other cases lodged against him.
"The contours are much larger," the bench observed while refusing to entertain the persistent plea of senior counsel Gopal Subramaniam, who appeared for Jagan. Responding to queries from the bench, the CBI said it would complete the investigation by March 31, 2013. However,it later told the bench that it would try to complete it much more expeditiously.
The apex court passed the order after Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Mohan Parasaran and senior counsel Ashok Bhan appearing for the CBI contended that Jagan cannot be granted bail as investigations were still underway in seven cases against him and letter rogatories have been issued to various countries as the cases have international ramifications.
Responding to queries from the bench, Parasaran said the total amount accumulated by Jagan and his associates, insofaras the four charge sheets have been filed, amounted to over Rs 3000 crore.He submitted it would not be proper to release Jagan at this stage as the case "is a very serious economic offence that is unparallelled. The accused is also known for his political prowess. The saga of investigations is still continuing."
"They are so influential that they can influence the witnesses even while being inside," the ASG said.Parasaran's argument, however, was countered by Subramaniam who said bail was a statutory right and Jagan was entitled to the same as otherwise it would violate his right under article 21 of the Constitution.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actor Shah Rulh Khan's love and respect for South Superstar Rajinikanth is well
- Armaan-Tanisha engaged!
- Deepika endorses Kellogg's Special K
- Revolver Rani trailer: Kangana loves fashion, fun and Gun
- Ranveer to go bald for Bhansali’s Bajirao Mastani!
- Priyanka Chopra as Mary Kom
- WATCH: 'Kaanchi'; Official trailer released
- Celebs who misuse Twitter for attention
- Salman has more value than SRK
It was a battle of survival when two reptiles locked in a deadliest clash. A python fought
Facing tough competition from rivals Blackberry has launched new 'low-priced' models to re