- Hema Malini injured in road accidentWhy children love Salman?Aashiqui girl's tell all autobiogrphyAbrar Nadiadwala entered Marathi filmKnow how to become famous on FacebookSuper-Hot teaser of 'Calendar Girls' out!Abhishek Bachchan's 'All is Well' trailer releasedAditi feels alone, neglected in BollywoodShahid\'s step mom reveals the inside story of wedding preparationsI would be slapped for telling my mom\'s age: SRK
Lionel Messi produced a scintillating individual performance as Argentina destroyed Paragu
Breakthrough in sight for cataract treatment Last Updated : 02 Mar 2013 03:49:32 PM IST
Scientists have made a discovery about the shape of the eye that could boost the effectiveness of human-made lenses used in cataract operations.
Research carried out by Professor Barbara Pierscionek and a team of fellow vision experts at London's Kingston University suggests that the way proteins are distributed in the lens of the eye may cause its gradient to be steppedrather than smooth as previously thought.
The finding could give a new insight into the way the eye grows and lead to major improvements in synthetic lenses used
in surgery to treat patients who have developed cataracts. Artificial replacements did not currently match the quality of real ones, Pierscionek said. "However this research could help give patients better vision if manufacturers use it to develop an improved lens able to change focus," she said in a statement.
Cataracts can occur at any age, but often develop as people get older. Smoking and UV radiation are thought to be causes and they can also occur in people with diseases such as diabetes.
The condition may gradually make vision more blurred and make it difficult to see in poor light. Treatment usually involves replacing the affected lens with an artificial one. Pierscionek carried out much of her most recent research at Japan's Spring-8 synchrotron facility - home of the world's largest third generation synchrotron.
It accelerates electrons close to the speed of light to generate X-rays and other beams. "These X-rays can penetrate parts of the body and soft tissue better than other forms of radiation. This allows engineers and scientists to look deeply into anything from metal to bacteria," Pierscionek said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Like many other Bollywood celebrities Sasha also choose to WORK over honeymoon. Follow on
- No 'aaj ki party' song in Bajrangi Bhaijaan
- Salman Khan finally ready to get married as per his family's wish
- Why Alia Bhatt dislikes her father Mahesh Bhatt's frankness
- Unknown facts about Shahid's girl Mira Rajput
- Why children love Salman?
- Aashiqui girl's tell-all autobiogrphy
- Abrar Nadiadwala entered Marathi film
- Super-Hot teaser of 'Calendar Girls' out!
The state's Technical Education and Training Minister Ujjal Biswas said that the student s
Xiaomi the smartphone giant which offers great features at less prices has yet made anothe