- India shines in colors of 'Beating Retreat'No entry for Ranbir to meet KatrinaSee how Shruti celebrates birthdayAkshara faces wardrobe malfunctionSapna says she is not porn actressSunny Leone at her steamiest best in 'XXX'Females perform naked YogaSecrets of Sunny Leone and other celebsKaran Johar makes acting debut in 'Bombay Velvet'Ranbir\'s Roy Music a big hit on Social media with Sooraj Dooba Hain
Former Portugal and Real Madrid winger Luis Figo announced on Wednesday that he is to chal
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
There is someone who is not letting Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif meet.
- See how Shruti celebrates birthday
- Akshara faces wardrobe malfunction
- Sapna says she is not porn actress
- Sunny Leone at her steamiest best in 'XXX'
- Secrets of Sunny Leone and other celebs
- Shahrukh first to use Twitter camera
- PICS: Karan Johar makes acting debut in 'Bombay Velvet'
- Ranbir's Roy Music a big hit on Social media with Sooraj Dooba Hain
Thousands of live cats destined "for consumption" have been seized in Hanoi.
test ad galery 3