- Video: Irina Shayk looks sizzling hot in Hercules opposite Dwayne JohnsonKolkata best city to liveLFW 2014: Curtain raiser held in Mumbai, view pics5 Reasons Why You HAVE To Check Out the ‘MARY KOM’Samsung launches affordable phonesUnknown facts of Meena Kumar\'s lifeWhy is the PK poster a trend setterMeet PM Narendra Modi\'s dharmputraList of movies to be released in August 2014Ranbir, Deepika spotted on 'Tamasha' sets
With three more Gold, India moved to fifth spot in the Commonwealth Games 2014 at Glasgow
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Here we bring some hot babes who are waiting in the line to set the big screen on fire.
- Sunny Leone goes desi way
- Watch trailer of Sin City 2: Eva Green nude scene causes ban
- Images: Salman Khan, rumored girlfriend Jacqueline celebrate Eid
- Images: Hot Evelyn Sharma finds Varun Dhawan super cute
- OMG! Salman Khan turned down Hercules movie offer for Kick
- Video: Irina Shayk looks sizzling hot in Hercules opposite Dwayne Johnson
- 5 Reasons Why You HAVE To Check Out the ‘MARY KOM’
- Tamanchey Trailer out: Richa Chadda back as hottest burglar
A naked man was walked on leash with something stuffed inside his anus
Samsung has launched three new smartphones priced below Rs 10,000 range.