- Karan Johar to start filming \'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil\' in LondonI am protective about Shahid says Shaandaar AliaDid \'Shaandar\' because concept was fresh: Shahid KapoorFamous Bollywood star siblingsReview Phantom: 10 reasons to watch itSaif Ali does not want Kareena to sufferWhy Kapil Sharma was the chosen one for Kis Kisko Pyaar KaroonHaven\'t re-shot anything for \'Jagga Jasoos\': Katrina KaifLet’s know about the celebs through their tattoosYou will make your fathers proud: SRK to Athiya, Sooraj
Congress President Sonia Gandhi congratulated Sania Mirza for receiving the Rajiv Gandhi K
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Filmmaker Karan Johar is set to begin shooting his upcoming directorial venture "Ae Dil Ha
- I am protective about Shahid says Shaandaar Alia
- Did 'Shaandar' because concept was fresh: Shahid Kapoor
- Famous Bollywood star siblings
- SRK offers help to Karan Johar
- Add Bollywood flavour to Raksha Bandhan
- Review Phantom: 10 reasons to watch it
- Saif Ali does not want Kareena to suffer
- Why Kapil Sharma was the chosen one for Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon
Scientists have discovered that Roman-era Egyptian mummy portraits used the pigment Egypti
Lenovo starts smartphone manufacturing in India.