- See Bollywood sexy babes in nightwearPiku's new posture reveals father-daughter cute chemistryBipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover on a date!Rare photos of B'day boy Varun DhawanKim Kardashian ready to be pregnantHere\'s why we call Tiger Shroff among best dancers of BollywoodWhich Bollywood star had slapped Varun Dhawan once?Vogue features first Transgender model Andreja PejicAsus launches ZenFone 2 with 4GB ramMany Many happy returns Sachin Tendulkar on turning 42
Playing her first match as world number one, India's Sania Mirza crashed out of the Porsch
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Akshay Kumar feels the recent suicide by farmer Gajendra Singh at an Aam Aadmi P
- See Bollywood sexy babes in nightwear
- Piku's new posture reveals father-daughter cute chemistry
- Lady Gaga to receive contemporary ‘Icon’ award
- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover on a date!
- B-Town wishes Varun Dhawan on B'day
- Rare photos of B'day boy Varun Dhawan
- PICS:Kim Kardashian ready to be pregnant
- Here's why we call Tiger Shroff among best dancers of Bollywood
An Islamic college in Melbourne city has banned its girl students from participating in ru
Asus India launched the successor to their much-loved Zenfone range in the Asus Zenfone 2,