- Ranbir Kapoor willing to play homosexual on screenCaptured: Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani on Secret HolidayTreat to work on dance numbers: JacquelineSohail Khan a damn cool director: NawazuddinPics: Ranbir-Aishwarya's hot chemistry irritated BachchansKareena send wishes for Shahid-Mira's daughter'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser to release today11-year-old attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga in 10 daysSindhu, Sakshi, Dipa, Jitu get Khel RatnasRemembering 'King Of Pop' on his 58th B'day
Olympic gold medallist Justin Rose will defend his UBS Hong Kong Open golf title, while Ma
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Last week, reports started doing the rounds that actress Shilpa Shetty and industrialist h
- 31st October Trailer: Playing Sikh man in a serious film was tough for Vir Das
- Mehta reveals Rajkummar's look from 'Omerta' on his birthday
- Eijaz Khan roped in for 'Bahu Humari Rajni_kant'
- Big B to host 'Savdhaan India'
- Why did Kajol decide to marry Ajay Devgn?
- Chunky Pandey excited about his new project
- Akshay starts 'Jolly LLB 2' journey from Lucknow
- Ranbir Kapoor willing to play homosexual on screen
Believe it or not, dogs have the ability to distinguish words and the intonation of human
Domestic smartphone-maker Intex technologies on Wednesday announced its partnership with R