- Pics: And Oscar goes to...Amitabh Bachchan walks fashion ramp for charityRani Mukerji confirms comeback with 'Hichki'Priyanka Chopra looks divine at Oscars 2017Dev Patel attends Oscars with motherAsghar Farhadi's 'The Salesman' wins Best Foreign Language Film'Zootopia' wins Oscar for Best Animated FilmCan't tolerate bullying: Kangana RanautAbRam gets magic in SRK's lifeUnknown facts about Shahid Kapoor
American tennis player Serena Williams led the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) world rank
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
A record number of wins by black stars, a Muslim actor winning for the first time, the vic
- Amitabh Bachchan walks fashion ramp for charity
- Oscars 2017 celebrate diversity, marred by goof-ups
- Rani Mukerji confirms comeback with 'Hichki'
- Oscars 2017: Oops! Moment
- Priyanka Chopra looks divine at Oscars 2017
- Dev Patel attends Oscars with mother
- Om Puri honoured at Oscars 2017
- Asghar Farhadi's 'The Salesman' wins Best Foreign Language Film
If you are living in a neighbourhood surrounded by trees and shrubs, with birds chirping
Chinese smartphone maker Gionee on Monday launched a new line up of A series smartphones -