- Know all about Yuvraj-Hazel December weddingSmall screen celebrities who were fired from their jobsDid you find SRK in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil''Banjo': tedious, but braveMovie review 'Parched'These Bollywood films get affected by MNS diktatIncomplete Bollywood love storiesBollywood Biopics, saluting sports spiritExplore spiritual getaways in IndiaLagaan... based ride finds place at Dubai theme park
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday congratulated Indian medallists at the recently-hel
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Kalki Koechlin says she fears getting comfortable in her zone, and that is why she keeps o
- Big B's passion is of different level: Anees Bazmee
- Dhoni biopic to release in 4,500 screens across 60 countries
- Ali Fazal meets his Pakistani fans in London
- Dance respected and accepted as career option today: Geeta Kapur
- Actor Bill Nunn dead at 62
- Jennifer Aniston pins divorce rumours with dinner date
- Anna Hazare to appear on The Kapil Sharma Show
- Looking forward to meet Dhoni: Disha Patani
A human skeleton found during the ongoing excavation of the famous Antikythera Shipwreck -
Domestic app-based marketplace Zopper on Friday announced the pre-booking of Apple iPhone