- Shah Rukh proves he has real abs, not fakeOMG! Hottie Shruti Haasan wants a child before marriageGauri Khan and Suzanne Khan are close buddy, know whyMost seductive tennis players of worldWhat was Esha doing inside Puneet Malhotra\'s car?Haider is a must watchRani Mukerji\'s first Durga Puja post wedding, view picsDeepika reunites with Ranbir, view picsPics of Genelia D'Souza's advanced pregnancyMeet Sachin Tendulkar\'s Kerala Blasters
Meet the hottest female tennis players, they are also very attractive. However three of th
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Two hotties are going to sizzle on the screen in their respective releases.
- Khoobsurat actor Fawad Khan will kiss in his next Bollywood movie?
- Sunny Leone is the Jane of 'Tarzan'
- Shah Rukh proves he has real abs, not fake
- OMG! Hottie Shruti Haasan wants a child before marriage
- Gauri Khan and Suzanne Khan are close buddy, know why
- Kader Khan goes for Haj
- What was Esha doing inside Puneet Malhotra's car?
- Salman's offer to world's first vegetarian wrestler
A class 12th student, identified as Maqsood, was mauled by a white tiger at Delhi Zoo on T
BlackBerry on Monday launched its new smartphone BalckBerry Passport for Rs 49, 990 in Ind