- Actress caught having sex in public placeRanveer Singh sizzles with Parineeti ChopraNissan rolls out premium EvaliaIndia\'s first seaplane serviceWhy did Kareena Kapoor refuse to work with Farhan Akhtar?Nayana arrested for blackmailing with sex tapeTop most Sexy South SirensIn pics: Upcoming movies of Bollywood superstar Salman KhanOMG! Saif caught with pants down, view picsNew Alto K10 to launch next month
Parupalli Kashyap and Kidambi Srikanth gained seven places each in the latest badminton w
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Daniele Watts caught having sex in public place.
- Ranveer Singh sizzles with Parineeti Chopra
- Like Tagore's 'Ektuku Choya Lage': Anup Jalota! Listen song
- Lady Gaga's 8,000 pounds Manchester shopping spree
- Jennifer Lopez buys USD 22m house
- Best friends Salman Khan, Aamir Khan will be seen together once again
- Why did Kareena Kapoor refuse to work with Farhan Akhtar?
- Nayana arrested for blackmailing with sex tape
- Top most Sexy South Sirens
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country