- India launches its biggest rocketPICS: Prasoon Joshi pens poem on Peshawar massacreMeet Mr Praveen Mast the real 'PK'Leone calls Salman her godfatherThe Lunchbox named best film in TorontoHow Malala Yousafzai was sot dead:See in picsShocking pictures of Peshawar school attackFarha to replace Salman in 'Bigg Boss 8'Exclusive coffee table book for 'Kick' fansSchoolchildren observe silence
Boxer Sarita Devi, who had refused to accept her Asian Games bronze medal, was on Wednesda
Stem cell: CCI probes unfair practices Last Updated : 09 Dec 2012 12:44:57 PM IST Stem cell: CCI probes
These restrict parents from preserving a new born's stem cells at banks of their choice.
Stem cells can be differentiated into specialized biological cells and also have the ability to regenerate on its own. These cells, which can help in treating a variety of diseases, are generally taken from cord blood and bone marrow.
Sources said that Competition Commission of India (CCI) is looking into allegations of unfair market practices among hospitals and stem cell banks.
The Commission received a complaint alleging that some hospitals are not allowing parents to choose the bank to preserve their new born's stem cells, they added.
"Instead, they (parents) are asked to keep the stem cells at a particular bank with which the hospital has a tie-up. This practice is anti-competitive and restricts available choices," sources noted.
The Director General (DG), the Commission's investigative arm, is looking into the issue, they added. Among others, the fair trade regulator is probing the case under Section 3 of the Competition Act, that relates to anti-competitive pacts.
A new born's stem cells are preserved so that if necessary, these cells can be harvested to treat diseases in the future. They are taken soon after birth from the umbilical cord blood.
According to sources, India is a growing market for stem cells preservation and is currently estimated to be worth about Rs 500 to 600 crore.
The Commission, which has the mandate to keep a tab on unfair trade practices, refers cases to the DG only after finding prima facie evidence.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The new couple Arpita Khan and Ayush Khan are enjoying their honeymoon, see pics.
- Who looks prettiest in Big Star Award
- Top 10 secrets of 'PK' movie revealed
- Stanford University students meets SRK
- Kate Upton named sexiest woman
- Meet four sexy Kingfisher Calender 2015 hot girls
- I won't be hosting Bigg Boss 8: Salman Khan
- Rajkumar Hirani is the best director: Karan Johar tweeted
- From which Delhi university college did Anurag Kashyap graduate?
Eight coffins from Qing Dynasty (1636-1912) imperial figures, including Emperor Qianlong
Homegrown handset maker Lava on Tuesday launched a new smartphone -- Iris Fuel 60 -- offer