- Diya Mirza wedding albumSome unknown facts of Nargis FakiriBirthday special: Bollywood\'s hot actress Nargis Fakhri turns 35Natasa eliminated from \'Bigg Boss 8\'Khiladi Akshay Kumar turns real-life hero for hottie Shruti HaasanNoyonita wins Miss Diva Universe 2014Why Deepika impresses Shah Rukh KhanTV presenter\'s nude photos leakedReal reason for Gauhar and Kushal spilitBollywood celebs at Shilpa\'s Diwali bash
London Olympic bronze medal winning shuttler Saina Nehwal will spearhead the Indian challe
Fever can actually help kids battle illness: experts Last Updated : 20 Nov 2012 01:07:09 PM IST Photo of a child with fever
Running a high temperature can help your kid recover more quickly from illness as it makes a child slow down, rest and sleep more - all vital in recuperating, experts say.
Hannah Chow-Johnson, assistant professor at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, said she was often asked what to do about children with a high temperature, reported online media.
"My most frequent calls are from worried parents who want to know how high is too high of a fever. What many parents don't realise is that often, fevers are their child's friend," she said.
"Fevers can actually help your child recover more quickly, especially if he or she is battling a viral illness," she said.
Researchers at Great Ormond Street Hospital have in the past claimed tackling a fever with medicine before it is allowed to run its course, may slow recovery time, because the temperature can help to kill the bacteria causing the illness.
Fever is defined as a temperature over 37.5 degree Celsius, and can be a sign of something serious.
Parents are advised to seek medical help if a child's temperature reaches 40 degree Celsius or above.
However, most fevers are caused by a viral infection, and clear up on their own within a few days.
Chow-Johnson advised that fevers are safe since it is the body's way of controlling its immune response.
She suggested that parents should not wake their kids from a deep sleep to give medications for the fever as sleep is more important.
Ear and forehead thermometers are not reliable she said, so it is best to stick to a good, old fashioned digital thermometer for the best accuracy.
As far as how frequently a fever needs to be checked, once a day is sufficient, she added.
Parents goal should be their child's comfort, not reducing the fever. Be generous with fluids and ice-pops or lollies. Dress children in light clothing and give tepid baths to help cool them down, she suggested.
However, there are times you should seek medical attention when your child has a fever such as: A child who is under eight weeks old and has a fever of 38 degree Celsius should be seen by a doctor immediately, she cautioned.
Parents should also see a doctor here is no clear source for the child's fever (no cough, runny nose or known pain) and the fever has lasted for two to three days, she said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
After Thuppakki, Vijay and AR Murugadoss are returning together with Kaththi. The trailer
- Diya Mirza wedding album
- Some unknown facts of Nargis Fakiri
- Birthday special: Bollywood's hot actress Nargis Fakhri turns 35
- Natasa eliminated from 'Bigg Boss 8'
- Khiladi Akshay Kumar turns real-life hero for hottie Shruti Haasan
- Why Deepika impresses Shah Rukh Khan
- Raveena joins 'cleanliness drive' campaign
- TV presenter's nude photos leaked
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country