- Shraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFWBhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her bookDeepika Padukone among worl'd richest actresses nowSakshi Malik will be Beti Bachao Beti Padhao brand ambassador in HaryanaRustom Girl Ileana D'Cruz's monsoon skin ritualFirst Look: Shah Rukh shooting for The Ring'Half Girlfriend' team finishes Cape Town scheduleSedition case filed against actor Ramya for Pakistan is not hell remarkAryan Khan flaunts abs at college partyWon't camouflage baby bump on screen: Kareena
Northern Ireland on Wednesday announced a 23-member football squad for the World Cup quali
'Faltering kidneys can hit your mental functioning' Last Updated : 19 Nov 2012 05:20:01 PM IST Picture of Human kidney
Impaired kidneys can cause decline in brain functions involving thinking, understanding, reasoning or remembering, a new study has found.
According to a study led by Temple University, decreased kidney function is associated with decreased cognitive functioning in areas such as global cognitive ability, abstract reasoning and verbal memory.
"The brain and kidney are both organs that are affected by the cardiovascular systems," said Adam Davey, associate professor of public health in Temple's College of Health Professions and Social Work, who led the study,
Researchers examined longitudinal data, five years apart, from 590 people, according to a statement.
What the researchers found was the greater a person's decrease in renal (kidney) functioning, the greater the decrease in overall cognitive functioning, particularly abstract reasoning and verbal memory.
"They are both affected by things like blood pressure and hypertension, so it is natural to expect that changes in one organ are going to be linked with changes in another," said Davey in a statement.
"Those two tracked together, so this study provides us with evidence that the rate of cognitive decline is associated with deterioration in kidney function" said Davey.
Davey said that this information emphasises two important points: the importance of diagnosing and managing chronic kidney disease and the extent of decrease in cognitive functioning.
"As we get older, our kidney function tends to decrease naturally, so if there's an extra issue involved in renal function like chronic kidney disease, we need to know about it as soon as possible.
"That is something that needs to be managed, just like you would manage hypertension," he said.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Popular Pakistani singer Atif Aslam has backed out of his scheduled performance at a conce
- B-town stars greet fans on Janmashtami
- Ariana Grande sued for copyright infringement
- Shraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFW
- Britney Spears biopic coming to TV soon
- Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami
- 'Remo' director to reunite with film's makers
- Bhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her book
- Deepika Padukone among worl'd richest actresses now
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
Tech giant Microsoft has acquired artificial intelligence (AI)-based scheduling service Ge