- Sheenojis: Charlie Sheen releases personalised emojisHot tips to stay fit and healthyReview; 'The Angry Birds Movie'Veerappan movie review'Phobia' movie reviewReview: 'Waiting' Actors rule the roostSonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film FestivalKaran Johar celebrates birthday with star kidsWhen Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'Wear the right shoe for the right occasion!
The Rio Olympic Games should be postponed or moved "in the name of public health" over the
'Faltering kidneys can hit your mental functioning' Last Updated : 19 Nov 2012 05:20:01 PM IST Picture of Human kidney
Impaired kidneys can cause decline in brain functions involving thinking, understanding, reasoning or remembering, a new study has found.
According to a study led by Temple University, decreased kidney function is associated with decreased cognitive functioning in areas such as global cognitive ability, abstract reasoning and verbal memory.
"The brain and kidney are both organs that are affected by the cardiovascular systems," said Adam Davey, associate professor of public health in Temple's College of Health Professions and Social Work, who led the study,
Researchers examined longitudinal data, five years apart, from 590 people, according to a statement.
What the researchers found was the greater a person's decrease in renal (kidney) functioning, the greater the decrease in overall cognitive functioning, particularly abstract reasoning and verbal memory.
"They are both affected by things like blood pressure and hypertension, so it is natural to expect that changes in one organ are going to be linked with changes in another," said Davey in a statement.
"Those two tracked together, so this study provides us with evidence that the rate of cognitive decline is associated with deterioration in kidney function" said Davey.
Davey said that this information emphasises two important points: the importance of diagnosing and managing chronic kidney disease and the extent of decrease in cognitive functioning.
"As we get older, our kidney function tends to decrease naturally, so if there's an extra issue involved in renal function like chronic kidney disease, we need to know about it as soon as possible.
"That is something that needs to be managed, just like you would manage hypertension," he said.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Dulquer Salmaan-starrer Malayalam action-drama "Kammati Paadam", which released in cinemas
- Tom Hiddleston in 'advanced talks' for 25th Bond movie
- Justin Bieber poses in underwear
- Mahesh Babu takes 'full responsibility' for 'Brahmotsavam' failure
- Fardeen Khan responds to bodyshamers
- Johny who? asks Harman Baweja
- Irrfan Khan, Big B's clash at box office averted
- 'Banjo' musical poster is a hit
- 'Sultan' composer Vishal Dadlani stays away from Salman-Arijit controversy
The number of people in Britain who have tried e-cigarettes has almost doubled in just two
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
In a bid to heat up the premium flagship smartphone segment, Taiwan-based company HTC on T