- Nil Battey Sannata Review: Swara Bhaskar's Mother-Daughter story encourages!Decor tips to get your house summer readyMeet sexy babe Vaani KapoorSee some popular selfie poses, choose the one you likeFantastic Box Office Collection: 'The Jungle Book' debuts with over $100 mnOMG! Pratyusha was pregnantLook who gate crashed Bipasha's bachelorette partyWhy is Kangna not recording her statement: Hrithik's lawyersScariest character I have ever played: Shahid on 'Udta Punjab'Jabong launches international fashion brand Mexx in India
Portuguese doctor Nuno Campos, a former member of the medical team of his national footbal
'Faltering kidneys can hit your mental functioning' Last Updated : 19 Nov 2012 05:20:01 PM IST Picture of Human kidney
Impaired kidneys can cause decline in brain functions involving thinking, understanding, reasoning or remembering, a new study has found.
According to a study led by Temple University, decreased kidney function is associated with decreased cognitive functioning in areas such as global cognitive ability, abstract reasoning and verbal memory.
"The brain and kidney are both organs that are affected by the cardiovascular systems," said Adam Davey, associate professor of public health in Temple's College of Health Professions and Social Work, who led the study,
Researchers examined longitudinal data, five years apart, from 590 people, according to a statement.
What the researchers found was the greater a person's decrease in renal (kidney) functioning, the greater the decrease in overall cognitive functioning, particularly abstract reasoning and verbal memory.
"They are both affected by things like blood pressure and hypertension, so it is natural to expect that changes in one organ are going to be linked with changes in another," said Davey in a statement.
"Those two tracked together, so this study provides us with evidence that the rate of cognitive decline is associated with deterioration in kidney function" said Davey.
Davey said that this information emphasises two important points: the importance of diagnosing and managing chronic kidney disease and the extent of decrease in cognitive functioning.
"As we get older, our kidney function tends to decrease naturally, so if there's an extra issue involved in renal function like chronic kidney disease, we need to know about it as soon as possible.
"That is something that needs to be managed, just like you would manage hypertension," he said.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Manoj Bajpayee, who will be seen as a traffic constable in the forthcoming thriller
- Roberts doesn't 'always' enjoy
- look of Anushka Sharma in Sultan is a kick-ass look
- Bipasha looked like a fairy in her Mehndi ceremony
- Daughters are our continuity: Big B
- I can't live for awards: Kalki Koechlin
- Movie Review Baaghi
- Salman will be able to add glamour to Rio: Ganguly
- Mamta, spouse under probe in narcotics racket
Is it true that fashion affects the personality? but it has certain tendency to achieve so
Remember Freedom 251 from ringing bells at just Rs 251 which soon became an smartphone of