- Review Phantom: 10 reasons to watch itSaif Ali does not want Kareena to sufferWhy Kapil Sharma was the chosen one for Kis Kisko Pyaar KaroonHaven\'t re-shot anything for \'Jagga Jasoos\': Katrina KaifLet’s know about the celebs through their tattoosYou will make your fathers proud: SRK to Athiya, SoorajNo pressure to get married: Gauhar KhanUrvashi did mistake againKatrina Kaif is under no pressureIs Puli a match to Bahubali?
Reigning world tennis champion Novak Djokovic became a new goodwill ambassador for the UN
Ravi Shankar to receive lifetime achievement Grammy award Last Updated : 13 Dec 2012 02:15:11 PM IST File Photo:Ravi Shankar
Shankar would receive the award posthumous on February 10 at the 55th Grammy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles, said the Recording Academy, which gives the prestigious Grammy Awards.
The sitar maestro, who popularised Indian classical music in the West and had a major influence on The Beatles' George Harrison and Yehudi Menuhin, died yesterday at the age of 92 after undergoing heart-valve replacement surgery at the Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, California.
"As one of the world's most renowned sitar players, three-time Grammy winner Ravi Shankar is a true ambassador for international music," said a statement issued by the RecordingAcademy.
"As a performer, composer, teacher and writer, he is considered a pioneer in bringing Indian music to the West. With a performance career spanning more than 80 years, he has influenced a variety of musicians, including the Beatles, John Coltrane, Philip Glass and his daughters, Norah Jones and Anoushka Shankar," it said.
"A humanitarian and philanthropist, in 1971 Shankar, along with George Harrison, organised the Concert for Bangladesh, which paved the way for many other fundraising charity concerts," it said.
Other recipients of this year's lifetime achievement Grammy awards are Glenn Gould, Charlie Haden, Lightnin' Hopkins, Carole King, Patti Page and the Temptations.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
We tell you ten reasons to watch Phantom, a must see this week-end.
- Saif Ali does not want Kareena to suffer
- Why Kapil Sharma was the chosen one for Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon
- Haven't re-shot anything for 'Jagga Jasoos': Katrina Kaif
- 'Phantom' tweet review
- Let’s know about the celebs through their tattoos
- You will make your fathers proud: SRK to Athiya, Sooraj
- No pressure to get married: Gauhar Khan
- I don't like the tag of comedy: Rajpal Yadav
Scientists have discovered that Roman-era Egyptian mummy portraits used the pigment Egypti
Lenovo starts smartphone manufacturing in India.